A/C blowing cool but not cold

CC Dad

My air will blow cool but it won't really blow cold. When the temp gets above 90 it struggles to cool the cab. I have to keep it on high to cool the cab off any at all. Any suggestions? Does it need coolant? I have a black soft top so I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm trying to get this thing fixed where the wife and I can take longer trips in it.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
My air will blow cool but it won't really blow cold. When the temp gets above 90 it struggles to cool the cab. I have to keep it on high to cool the cab off any at all. Any suggestions? Does it need coolant? I have a black soft top so I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm trying to get this thing fixed where the wife and I can take longer trips in it.

In Georgia? It's hot in GA, dude. You can get it checked, but I'm in central Mississippi, and it's the humidity. I have to run mine pretty high to keep cool. It does blow pretty cold, though, but I imagine the cool air is leaking straight out of the soft top.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Don't just go stuffing those little cans of freon into it, I see people do it all the time. The only true way to charge R134a is by weight. If it is low on freon then it is leaking and needs repaired anyway. Airflow to your condenser and evaporator play a big role in how well the a/c cools too, check your radiator fan is working properly, and that the condenser fins aren't full of junk, mud etc.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Don't just go stuffing those little cans of freon into it, I see people do it all the time. The only true way to charge R134a is by weight. If it is low on freon then it is leaking and needs repaired anyway. Airflow to your condenser and evaporator play a big role in how well the a/c cools too, check your radiator fan is working properly, and that the condenser fins aren't full of junk, mud etc.

This.

10 characters.

CC Dad

Condenser looks good. I guess I need to get the system checked. This jeep use to be my dads. He had the heater core changed a few years ago and he says the air hasn't worked as good since.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Honestly it's been so freaking hot lately that my first move would be to actually check the temp coming out of the vents to see if it's in range. I know it's been so hot some summers in Texas that I was surprised to find everything in spec but the ac just couldn't keep up. I say this also because any time I've ever taken my jeep in for ac checks I've been told I need everything replaced whether I really did or not

Sinsitizen

Check your cabin filter and replace if needed. Also if you haven't had the ac serviced in two years or longer go to a repair shop and have the ac evacuated and recharged. If the ac is over or under charged it will cause the system to not run properly.

holliewood61

My bet is that its low on freon. Take it to a reputable shop, have them pull a vacuum on it and charge it. Also get them to put the dye in it. If it is leaking out they can hit it with the light and see where its leaking.

Top Bottom