Who tows their JKU behind a RV?

WillyRockIt

By next year I'll be trading my travel trailer for a motor home. I'm starting to look into tow setups so I can include that cost into my budget. Any recommendations for a newbie? Thanks

Mtb275

Yep
What he said

Also use molar harness it works perfect

What is a Molar Harness?

Oh and I tow with a road master eagle 8000 tow bar. Changed the connections at Jeep to work with tabs on front bumper.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469072897.823520.jpg
Sorry for crappy photo, cob webs all over it.

JoeB-JKURX

Auxiliary Braking System

Make sure you get something to actuate the brakes on your Jeep when the Motorhome brakes are applied. I have an Invisibrake (Roadmaster) and it works perfectly while being totally unobtrusive (under the driver's seat) when you are driving the Jeep.

WillyRockIt

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm looking at the Forest River FR3, Forester and a few others. Haven't quite made up our minds yet.

LarryG

I "will be" pulling my Rubi behind our Allegro Bus. We almost lost our last toad, as the front of the car was being torn loose. Do your homework if using any aftermarket bumper. We ended up with Blue Ox as it was the ONLY make that had one compatible with the AEV. Installed the SMI Air Force One braking and break away system. Had to add a 3" riser receiver, which cased my spare tire carrier to be abandoned. The spare now rides in the basement.

GoldenJK

I tow with a Blue Ox setup. Modified it so that it is all hidden behind the front bumper. Here are pics of it after the mod to hide it.
CIMG2085.JPG CIMG2086.JPG

Here is what the Blue Ox bar looked like before and after modifying. I felt it was way too exposed to damage while offroad.
CIMG1905.jpg CIMG1999.JPG

Also, installed the US Gear Unified Tow Brake system. Its a pain to install but it works excellent and you do not even know it is there. It takes zero setup when you connect the jeep. Just plug the jeep to the RV and it powers up the braking system, a vacuum system for power brakes and a solenoid that activates the brake pedal in the jeep. I highly recommend it, especially in the mountains of Colorado

Bad Habit

If you haven't gotten a tow bar yet, look into a ReadyBrute with the integrated braking system. Basically it's a surge brake set up. You need to run a cable from the front and connect to the brake pedal (you should also put in a brake away system). Once run, all you need to do is clip on the cable to the tow bar. That in conjunction with the Mopar wiring harness and no hassles or needing to deal with electrical connections to control the brakes

WillyRockIt

I have a friend that tows his JK without a brake set up. He said he's never felt like he needed it and doesn't even know it's back there while towing. Anyone else not worried about brakes?

JoeB-JKURX

I have a friend that tows his JK without a brake set up. He said he's never felt like he needed it and doesn't even know it's back there while towing. Anyone else not worried about brakes?

The only states where towing a vehicle weighing more than 4000# without auxiliary braking is legal are Massachusetts (10,000#), Alaska (5000#), and Texas (4500#). Any JKU weighs more than 4000# and almost any JK built to any degree weighs more than 4000#. If you were checked by the law, you might be cited and if lack of auxiliary braking were found to contribute to the accident, I expect there'd be issues with the insurance. I use a Roadmaster Invisibrake that would work with either gas or diesel motorhomes.

I towed an old 4Runner (pretty light) for years without brakes. First thing after a winch was auxiliary braking for my JKUR.

Last edited:

WillyRockIt

Great info! Thanks so much. I'm planning on the brakes just wanted another perspective. I currently have a front Barricade bumper. Not sure if it will need to be modified to accept a tow setup. I'll do some more research and see. If not I'll look for a bumper that will work as well. Not sure if want to spend money on modifying that particular bumper.

JoeB-JKURX

Break Away

Great info! Thanks so much. I'm planning on the brakes just wanted another perspective. I currently have a front Barricade bumper. Not sure if it will need to be modified to accept a tow setup. I'll do some more research and see. If not I'll look for a bumper that will work as well. Not sure if want to spend money on modifying that particular bumper.

The other thing that an auxiliary brake system allows is for a break-away system that stops your Jeep if it should come loose from your towing vehicle.

Top Bottom