Spare parts

LarryG

OK, so I've been getting things ready to flat tow the Rubi behind my Motorhome. I installed the base plate onto the AEV bumper. Because the tow bar is mounted using the tow points, I fabricated brackets to enable d shackles and have them mounted. Wiring is done for tow lights, and I installed an SMI Air Force One supplemental braking system and breakaway system in the event I look back and don't see the Rubi anymore. I've installed and tested the CB and all is good there. I've got a tire repair kit, a compressor to fill tires, and a deflator. I've got a hi lift jack, although I understand the limitations of it. I've got a bottle jack, and all the tools I think I will need.

My question is regarding the "spare" parts that will most likely be prevalent to failure. I am not planning for every possible failure, just a prudent list of parts that are known to fail on the trail.

I have a stock Rubicon, with an AEV 3.5 lift.

Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose it depends on where and how hard you're planning to wheel and will you be going alone. Of all the things you could bring with you, the one thing that you simply cannot fab up, jimmy or work around is fluids. I personally try to carry as much oil, gear oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid and power steering fluid (assuming you have a ram assist) as is needed to complete a repair as possible. If you've got the room, front axle shafts are good to have as well as drive shafts as if anything is going to go, they are high on the list. Ideally, it's always a good idea to wheel with others and to have everyone carry a bit of everything.

WJCO

Meme King
OK, so I've been getting things ready to flat tow the Rubi behind my Motorhome. I installed the base plate onto the AEV bumper. Because the tow bar is mounted using the tow points, I fabricated brackets to enable d shackles and have them mounted. Wiring is done for tow lights, and I installed an SMI Air Force One supplemental braking system and breakaway system in the event I look back and don't see the Rubi anymore. I've installed and tested the CB and all is good there. I've got a tire repair kit, a compressor to fill tires, and a deflator. I've got a hi lift jack, although I understand the limitations of it. I've got a bottle jack, and all the tools I think I will need.

My question is regarding the "spare" parts that will most likely be prevalent to failure. I am not planning for every possible failure, just a prudent list of parts that are known to fail on the trail.

I have a stock Rubicon, with an AEV 3.5 lift.

Thanks.

Make sure you have zip ties, duct tape, glue, etc for any wires/lines that may get tore on stuff. You can fix a lot of stuff with those things. That stuff is always good to keep in there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure you have zip ties, duct tape, glue, etc for any wires/lines that may get tore on stuff. You can fix a lot of stuff with those things. That stuff is always good to keep in there.

Great suggestions. My 5 basic must have recovery items are BFH, pry bar, zip ties, duct tape and heavy duty ratchet strap - the kind used for towing. There's a lot you can do with just them alone.

chipper

Great suggestions. My 5 basic must have recovery items are BFG, pry bar, zip ties, duct tape and heavy duty ratchet strap - the kind used for towing. There's a lot you can do with just them alone.

Ok, I'm having a brain fart or to much beer for diner, but I'm guessing BFG doesn't stand for Big F'ing Gun so what does it stand for?

LarryG

I suppose it depends on where and how hard you're planning to wheel and will you be going alone. Of all the things you could bring with you, the one thing that you simply cannot fab up, jimmy or work around is fluids. I personally try to carry as much oil, gear oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid and power steering fluid (assuming you have a ram assist) as is needed to complete a repair as possible. If you've got the room, front axle shafts are good to have as well as drive shafts as if anything is going to go, they are high on the list. Ideally, it's always a good idea to wheel with others and to have everyone carry a bit of everything.

This is valuable, and what I was looking for....thanks. I'll be doing some solo, some initially with groups, but have trouble with too much reliance.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
There are many places that a BFG and a BFH would come in handy. I have read that in Chicago, a BFH replaces a BFG in many murders.

Thread hijack over. This is actually good info.

Jern26

Aside from everything listed, A Spare headlight bulb is nice too if you don't have aux lights. I've learned that firsthand in highschool. It's a long trip back to camp with a mag light duct taped to the hood haha

Top Bottom