Shrockworks or LOD Sliders

CJW

I have installed the LoD sliders on a friend's Jeep and like them. I will say this though, LoD's recent response to some quality issues related to their rear bumper have made it very difficult for me to recommend their products anymore.

That's troubling to hear. Has it only been once or is this poor customer service becoming the norm? Thanks for the input!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That's troubling to hear. Has it only been once or is this poor customer service becoming the norm? Thanks for the input!

I can only speak to one specific interaction and, quite frankly, the way Chris from LoD spoke to my buddy was unacceptable by any standard.

Sullivan

I have the LoD sliders. They are great. I have really beat on them and they have taken some pretty hard hits and held up great. The step is just the right size to make it useful but not get in the way. I picked my set up from their manufacturing plant in Indiana. They were real nice guys and basically a smaller company and I liked that. They were more of a "local" or small business type which is a big deal to me.
I don't know much about the Shockworks so I couldn't give an opinion on them. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469618554.646354.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469618605.197464.jpg

Last edited:

qwasin

I can only speak to one specific interaction and, quite frankly, the way Chris from LoD spoke to my buddy was unacceptable by any standard.

Would you mind elaborating on the problems you were having with the product and how lod handled the situation?

CJW

Well I'll look out for that. I don't like giving my money away to those that don't earn it. Thanks sharkey

CJW

I have the LoD sliders. They are great. I have really beat on them and they have taken some pretty hard hits and held up great. The step is just the right size to make it useful but not get in the way. I picked my set up from their manufacturing plant in Indiana. They were real nice guys and basically a smaller company and I liked that. They were more of a "local" or small business type which is a big deal to me.
I don't know much about the Shockworks so I couldn't give an opinion on them. View attachment 214714 View attachment 214715

Very cool! Thanks for the info and the pics! I like that both companies I'm considering are smaller local businesses.

CJW

Well I guess LOD is the winner here. I did like the open design (no sheetmetal filler) of shrockworks but I prefer hearing that folks have personal experience beating on LOD with no problems. After bending mine I mostly care about something is going to last for a long time. Thanks everyone that added their input! [emoji481]

Exodus 4x4

Well I guess LOD is the winner here. I did like the open design (no sheetmetal filler) of shrockworks but I prefer hearing that folks have personal experience beating on LOD with no problems. After bending mine I mostly care about something is going to last for a long time. Thanks everyone that added their input! [emoji481]

You can leave the sheet metal out if you prefer it that way.

brooklyn4x4

Haven't gotten the chance to beat on mine yet but I love them so far and the install was way easier then I thought I was gonna be

Attachments

• 1469643030992.jpg
    1469643030992.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 196

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Would you mind elaborating on the problems you were having with the product and how lod handled the situation?

Sure.

In a nutshell, on the pre-2014 bumpers the plate that keeps the carrier from swinging all the way open was made out of thin metal (LoD apparently changed the design sometime after late 2013). Over time, the thin metal loses its strength and breaks. The result of the break is that the carrier swings all the way around the body and your spare tire crushes in the side of your Jeep. Apparently, this was a known issue because (1) the design has changed and (2) I found out after the fact that it was so common, the quiet recommendation was to drill a hole in the bumper so the swing arm pin would engage the actual bumper instead of just the POS plate.

Fast forward. My buddy's plate broke in his driveway, the carrier swung around and crushed in the rear, passenger side of his Jeep. I was able to do some body work and get about 80% of the damage out. Obviously though, without some fix to the carrier, it was going to just keep happening since there was no longer a way to lock the gate open. That's when we realized LoD had changed the plate design. My buddy called LoD...not to try to get the body damage fixed or to raise any hell, but just to see if he could get the new, updated plate so his gate would work properly and safely.

The interaction from there was unbelievable. In an expletive-filled tirade, Chris conceded that the break was pretty common and that the design was changed but he actually had the gall to say that the breaks occur from people putting too much weight on the carrier and then slamming the carrier open when parked on hills. Keep in mind, my buddy runs 35" tires, no trail rack, no gas cans, and no hi-lift jack. The ONLY thing that has ever been on his carrier is the 35" tire, and the break happened in his driveway which has only a slight incline. Seriously, Chris went after my buddy like he had intentionally done something stupid or otherwise tried to break the carrier. It was ridiculous to the point that my buddy called me up to say that he couldn't believe I recommended he buy LoD products (by the way, he is running front and rear LoD bumpers and LoD sliders...all on my recommendation and I did the install on everything so I know it was done correctly). My buddy finally just said he would call the vendor and address the issue with them. Apparently, Chris called back later and offered to send out the new plate, but his demeanor had not changed at all. This all transpired months ago. The plate finally showed up this week.

Maybe I have a skewed view of the world, but when someone spends thousands of dollars buying your products you probably should not blast the hell out of them when they call for a little reasonable help related to a known product deficiency. That is how TeraFlex does business and I expect more out of LoD.

Last edited:

thardy

Banned
Sure.

In a nutshell, on the pre-2014 bumpers the plate that keeps the carrier from swinging all the way open was made out of thin metal (LoD apparently changed the design sometime after late 2013). Over time, the thin metal loses its strength and breaks. The result of the break is that the carrier swings all the way around the body and your spare tire crushes in the side of your Jeep. Apparently, this was a known issue because (1) the design has changed and (2) I found out after the fact that it was so common, the quiet recommendation was to drill a hole in the bumper so the swing arm pin would engage the actual bumper instead of just the POS plate.

Fast forward. My buddy's plate broke in his driveway, the carrier swung around and crushed in the rear, passenger side of his Jeep. I was able to do some body work and get about 80% of the damage out. Obviously though, without some fix to the carrier, it was going to just keep happening since there was no longer a way to lock the gate open. That's when we realized LoD had changed the plate design. My buddy called LoD...not to try to get the body damage fixed or to raise any hell, but just to see if he could get the new, updated plate so his gate would work properly and safely.

The interaction from there was unbelievable. In an expletive-filled tirade, Chris conceded that the break was pretty common and that the design was changed but he actually had the gall to say that the breaks occur from people putting too much weight on the carrier and then slamming the carrier open when parked on hills. Keep in mind, my buddy runs 35" tires, no trail rack, no gas cans, an no hi-lift jack. The ONLY thing that has ever been on his carrier is the 35" tire, and the break happened in his driveway which has only a slight incline. Seriously, Chris went after my buddy like he had intentionally done something stupid or otherwise tried to break the carrier. It was ridiculous to the point that my buddy called me up to say that he couldn't believe I recommended he buy LoD products (by the way, he is running front and rear LoD bumpers and LoD sliders...all on my recommendation and I did the install on everything so I know it was done correctly). My buddy finally just said he would call the vendor and address the issue with them. Apparently, Chris called back later and offered to send out the new plate, but his demeanor had not changed at all. This all transpired months ago. The plate finally showed up this week.

Maybe I have a skewed view of the world, but when someone spends thousands of dollars buying your products you probably should not blast the hell out of them when they call for a little reasonable help related to a known product deficiency. That is how TeraFlex does business and I expect more out of LoD.

Wow! Definitely not what I would have expected out of LoD. That's just sad.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Sure.

The interaction from there was unbelievable. In an expletive-filled tirade, Chris conceded that the break was pretty common and that the design was changed but he actually had the gall to say that the breaks occur from people putting too much weight on the carrier and then slamming the carrier open when parked on hills. Keep in mind, my buddy runs 35" tires, no trail rack, no gas cans, an no hi-lift jack. The ONLY thing that has ever been on his carrier is the 35" tire, and the break happened in his driveway which has only a slight incline. Seriously, Chris went after my buddy like he had intentionally done something stupid or otherwise tried to break the carrier. It was ridiculous to the point that my buddy called me up to say that he couldn't believe I recommended he buy LoD products (by the way, he is running front and rear LoD bumpers and LoD sliders...all on my recommendation and I did the install on everything so I know it was done correctly). My buddy finally just said he would call the vendor and address the issue with them. Apparently, Chris called back later and offered to send out the new plate, but his demeanor had not changed at all. This all transpired months ago. The plate finally showed up this week.

That is a shitty story to read and I agree, that is some Terrorflex level business practices.

Funny enough that I've been debating between the LoD and Shrockworks bumpers f/r. The long wait periods for Shrockworks have been pushing me towards LoD but I will absolutely keep this story in mind when I finally make my decision.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wayalife Crew,
I've been looking at getting new sliders since my PS ones are getting pretty bent up. I've decided to get a sturdy frame mounted design and am interested in the sliders made by Shrockworks and LOD. I've seen a lot of old posts about shrockworks and generally people like them. I've also see a lot of posts about the LOD sliders and have seen zero complaints. I like both and they seem very similar. The only real difference I can see is that the shrockworks appear to be a little bit longer from front to back. So what do you think? Opinions? Experiences?
And since I'm sure EVO will be recommended, I'm just not sure i like the design of them aesthetically.
Thanks all!!!:beer:

I have personally installed and run both sliders. Both are well made and both have worked well for my needs. Of the two, I personally like the LoD more as I like the way they look better, have a more functional step and you can actually get them in a reasonable amount of time. Either way, when it comes to quality and functionality, you can't really go wrong with either.

Regarding Sharkey's story, all I can say is that it's hard for me to hear especially being that I've known Chris for a long time. I can only hope it was a fluke or that he was having a bad day because this doesn't sound like the guy I know. I have forwarded a link to this thread and I hope he'll chime in.

Sure.

I am not sure what you are talking about here, but I do know that things online can get very out of hand and misleading especially when its passed down through multiple people, we do our best to take care of any issues, so if anyone ever needs anything please give us a call and we can help you out right away! We have quite a few sales people now and we appreceiate any feedback so we can address any issues, I will look into this right away. So I will do my best to explain how the our old Gen 3 Bumper and tire carrier's locking mechanism worked. It used a bolt on plate that mounted to the top of the bumper to hold it open, it was what we called a fused system, meaning if too much pressure was put on it it would break in order to prevent the stanless steel locking pin and its housing that is welded on the tire carrier from getting broke and bending . It was originally designed this way because people were opening the tire carrier and it was locking in place and they didn't realize it and would start yanking back and forth on the tire carrier trying to get it to close because they tought it was stuck, in turn this would bend the locking mechinsm due to the leverage that the tire carrier can put on it, and since the locking mechanism with the stainless steel tube is welded on to the tire carrier, it could not be fixed. The Fusable part that was bolted to the bumper was easily replaceable so thats why it was designed that way. We had changed the fusable part over time to make it harder to break and never had a problem with them and anybody that needs a stonger fusable piece can get one form us 100% free to your door. We have honestly not seen any break from just opening the tire carrier and it sitting on a slight incline, but if something ever does fail we will replace it 100% for free so make sure to contact us. Now fast forward to now, our new Gen 4 was changed again and uses a larger stainless steel locking pin and monting tube so would be much harder for someone to bend it if they were yanking on the tire carrier because they did not realize that it locked open. So since we made the locking pin larger the Gen 4 does not use a fusable link. its basically completely different. So again if anyone needs anything please give us a call and we can help you out and if you think you might have an old Gen 3 with the older fused bolt on locking plate, give us a call and we can get you the newer setup.

Thanks
LoD

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I'm also debating on getting the LoD sliders because of the functional step, and the fact that they work with the Evo Mfg high clearance long arm brackets. I like the Evo sliders, but I take my daughter with me in the Jeep anytime I can, and the nice, flat step of the LoD is a nice looking feature. I know Eddie has beat them to hell and back, along with many other people. Does anyone have any pics of the LoD sliders with those outer bolt on plates not installed? Would it look absolutely stupid with them removed and left like that?

Top Bottom