Wheel torque

Lexiewalker

Going to be installing some locking lug nuts. Specs say 85-115 ft lbs if I'm not mistaken. I drive a 2011 2D rubicon. Wondering what y'all keep yours at?

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
95 for both and red lock tight on the adapters you don't want those suckers coming off or getting lose you can even do a fine paint line on the bolt and nut and check them the first 100 miles and very oil change to make sure they are tight.

Last edited:

Lexiewalker

95 for both and red lock tight on the adapters you don't want those suckers coming off or getting lose you can even do a fine paint line on the bolt and nut and check them the first 100 miles and very oil change to make sure they are tight.

Great idea!

Mr.Reacher

Doing a tire rotation this will come in handy as well! Will be using the ol paint line idea as well! Thanks Clifford33

Bustedback

Torque the lug nuts dry, don't use any type of oil or anti-seize on the studs. It seems crazy, but if you lube the studs the clamping force is actually reduced even when the lugs are torqued to spec. You would think just the opposite would be true.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Torque the lug nuts dry, don't use any type of oil or anti-seize on the studs. It seems crazy, but if you lube the studs the clamping force is actually reduced even when the lugs are torqued to spec. You would think just the opposite would be true.

Haw iv never heard that but yeah I can actually see what you mean makes sense I'll check them out after a few miles and see what's up on them then. Thanks for the Intel.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
It seems crazy, but if you lube the studs the clamping force is actually reduced even when the lugs are torqued to spec. You would think just the opposite would be true.

Oh my god, really!?!!? You are kidding right?

By lubing the inclined plane that is the threads, you increase said planes efficiency, thereby increasing the clamping force. YOU have it completely backwards. Check out this reference:

http://waset.org/publications/7105/...fect-of-bolt-threads-lubrication-on-its-value

It states "Generally, lubrication of bolt threads causes the friction and torque coefficient to decrease and so the clamping to increase."

Please PLEASE stop spreading incorrect information on this forum. To me it just makes common sense that lubricated threads create less friction and thereby more clamping force. When you deal with Loctite, thread tape, etc you have to DECREASE the amount of torque applied to get the same clamping force value.

Haw iv never heard that but yeah I can actually see what you mean makes sense I'll check them out after a few miles and see what's up on them then. Thanks for the Intel.

I had never heard anyone say that either, but now you know that it is incorrect. Yes, no one should lube their lug nuts ever anyways. Just be careful when you apply torque when using Loctite.

Bustedback

Went through my source material again, 30wt oil on the stud will increase clamping force, a anti-seize decreases clamping force. So I was partially right. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469720625.413311.jpg

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Went through my source material again, 30wt oil on the stud will increase clamping force, a anti-seize decreases clamping force. So I was partially right. View attachment 214834

Cool photo of a cover of some OSHA manual. Not sure how that explains your case, but still... you are wrong.

Here is a reference in regards to anti-seize: http://www.na.henkel-adhesives.com/us/content_data/333994_LT6734.pdf

In it, it states "When applying an anti-seize to your components, the torque value to achieve the same clap load will be lower."

Or how about here: http://www.engineersedge.com/material_science/antiseize_compound_application_review_13389.htm

Where it states "Anti-seize lubricants act as lubricants and this characteristics should be accounted for when applying torque to screw, nuts, and other threaded connections. Dry threads will have more friction present during the torque process therefore the actual applied to achieve the desired clamp load would be greater than the thread lubricated with anti-seize."

Face it, you are wrong on both counts. But still, cool photo of the manual.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Oh my god, really!?!!? You are kidding right?

By lubing the inclined plane that is the threads, you increase said planes efficiency, thereby increasing the clamping force. YOU have it completely backwards. Check out this reference:

http://waset.org/publications/7105/...fect-of-bolt-threads-lubrication-on-its-value

It states "Generally, lubrication of bolt threads causes the friction and torque coefficient to decrease and so the clamping to increase."

Please PLEASE stop spreading incorrect information on this forum. To me it just makes common sense that lubricated threads create less friction and thereby more clamping force. When you deal with Loctite, thread tape, etc you have to DECREASE the amount of torque applied to get the same clamping force value.

I had never heard anyone say that either, but now you know that it is incorrect. Yes, no one should lube their lug nuts ever anyways. Just be careful when you apply torque when using Loctite.

Hahaha yeah ill just stick to what iv got set up with now. It's not my daily driver so I won't be driving a lot now. Thanks!

Top Bottom