Rock Krawler... Good buy or can a get a better bang for my buck?

I was looking into complete EVO short arms kit could not find it or at leas both front and rear lower arms.

The only option i saw was long arm kit
To my knowledge, they dont make a full kit of "short arms" because there really is no market for it.

Ddays

Hooked
I then welded on new artec coil perches that have a 1"stretch in them and rotated to take out the coil bow and trackbar rub issue.

I believe this is the key in getting this kit to work. HOWEVER, nowhere in the instructions does it even hint that this should be necessary. The fact that you had to figure out how to make it work says a lot about the
compatibility of the kit. Going out on a limb here, but if you knew that going in you probably would not have purchased that kit. Me either. I called and emailed an RK tech photos of my situation last year and was told "thats normal with this kit" Instructions I downloaded last week are different than what came with my kit. Here'a an illustration of what moving the axle back an inch does: I just took these 20 minutes ago on a logging road behind my house.

Front RK flex.jpg

Rear RK flex.jpg

So the clearance I gained in the front was taken away in the back. The problem is just transferred to another location. I'm going to adjust the wheel to try to center it in the opening tomorrow & see how the clearances are.

OP - Main point to take away here is don't do the X-Factor kit unless you're prepared to dick around with it to get it to work. Stock length arm kit would be ok IMO.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I've been running the RK 3.5 inch X-Factor Kit for the last two years now. Overall I like a lot AFTER I made the following modifications:
- Removed the RK track bars and mounts. Went back to OEM tracks bars with EVO track bar relocation mounts (front and rear). Ride quality dramatically improved.
- Fabricated and installed my own rear track bar body to move the rear track bar back an inch to match the "1-Stretch" from the kit. Now the rear track bar doesn't rub on the passenger side coil spring.

Now when I stuff the rear driver side tire, the track bar contacts the exhaust pipe...I could extend the bump stop more, but I'm going to install a Dynomax competition muffler that dumps in front of the axle so that problem will no longer exist.

I originally went with this kit without knowing about these problems. I was enticed by the triple rate coil springs all around and the components in the kit without knowing if I really needed them. The price was pretty good considering it replaced my entire suspension.

Take everyone's advice into consideration and try to ride with someone that has the kit you are looking at installed if at all possible.

Ddays

Hooked
MattAplha, how did you set your rear control arms? Did you use the dimnsions in the instructions or did you play around with yours?

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I've been running the RK 3.5 inch X-Factor Kit for the last two years now. Overall I like a lot AFTER I made the following modifications:
- Removed the RK track bars and mounts. Went back to OEM tracks bars with EVO track bar relocation mounts (front and rear). Ride quality dramatically improved.
- Fabricated and installed my own rear track bar body to move the rear track bar back an inch to match the "1-Stretch" from the kit. Now the rear track bar doesn't rub on the passenger side coil spring.

Now when I stuff the rear driver side tire, the track bar contacts the exhaust pipe...I could extend the bump stop more, but I'm going to install a Dynomax competition muffler that dumps in front of the axle so that problem will no longer exist.

I originally went with this kit without knowing about these problems. I was enticed by the triple rate coil springs all around and the components in the kit without knowing if I really needed them. The price was pretty good considering it replaced my entire suspension.

Take everyone's advice into consideration and try to ride with someone that has the kit you are looking at installed if at all possible.

I own this kit also, and am in the process of upgrading and repairing things.. I am curious what you noticed improved when you went back to stock track bars?

Ddays

Hooked
Holy hell....OP I apologize for shitting throughout your thread! I didn't mean to do that and only realized I had done so when I just scrolled back through it....

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I own this kit also, and am in the process of upgrading and repairing things.. I am curious what you noticed improved when you went back to stock track bars?

The main advantage of going back to the OEM track bars is that they allowed let me use the EVO track bar relocation brackets which are designed better. In my opinion, drive feel got noticeable better due to removing the heim joints that are one side of each RK track bars. Those joints provide great control and flex, but they also transfer all of the vibrations from the road into the body of the Jeep. The OEM track bars use rubber bushings on both sides and dampen much more the road vibrations. That is where the ride quality become noticeable better for me. I can't qualitatively define how much the ride quality improved, but to me it made a huge difference so much so that my wife noticed too.

The main advantage of going back to the OEM track bars is that they allowed let me use the EVO track bar relocation brackets which are designed better. In my opinion, drive feel got noticeable better due to removing the heim joints that are one side of each RK track bars. Those joints provide great control and flex, but they also transfer all of the vibrations from the road into the body of the Jeep. The OEM track bars use rubber bushings on both sides and dampen much more the road vibrations. That is where the ride quality become noticeable better for me. I can't qualitatively define how much the ride quality improved, but to me it made a huge difference so much so that my wife noticed too.

Thanks for posting this up. I've been thinking about it, but now I'm going to throw my stock front and rear track bars back in. Currently, I have RK front and rear adjustables. Thanks man!

tgoss

I was looking into complete EVO short arms kit could not find it or at leas both front and rear lower arms.

The only option i saw was long arm kit

Doesn't really exist... I did Evo front lowers and rounded out the rest of the arms with Currie arms and front track bar with plush ride springs. I'm pretty happy so far but still have a little more to dial in this weekend.

rogerk93

If you buy the RK, DO NOT buy the stretched version of the rear control arms. Keep the stock length.
I'm not gonna tell you to not buy the RK arms, but look at the Evo arms and also the Currie. They use a little heavier
joint than the RK.

Why do you need 8 all new arms?

I have the Currie lift and I love their arms beefy as F and they don't disappoint

caminton

I'm gonna be different than everyone here and suggest MetalCloak if you're going short arm. They're fantastic, and the joints are very solid.

kentuckianajk

Vote for Currie, beefy strong as he'll no issues over a yr running them.. Bonus pic today passed their support truck heading to the Rubicon to pic up some jeeps and take them to Moab

Attachments

• 1469856800577.jpg
    1469856800577.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 78

sunnysideup

I also have 8 of the x-factor RK arms... but bought them 6 of them used from a person wanting to go long arm. So I also bought used Currie 4 inch dual rate coils.... Ordered new ends on the RK arms and went to make a "franken lift" of sorts... it has parts from several vendors to find what would work right. I don't recommend doing it this way... lol. But I got a lot of quality parts very inexpensive as I put it together.

I got MT Goat spring wedges for the rear, jks lower rear spring keepers and teraflex top spring retainers, teraflex bump stops. rancho 4 inch lift links for the sway bar. JKS rear track bar... had to cut or trim here and there.

After the rear was all installed, I had to trim the pinch seams... splice the eghaust and have a newly bent section made to keep it from rubbing on drivers side- at full flex, and I had a small rub spot on a spring with the rear track bar nut... I rounded off one corner of the nut with a grinder to clear and it is good now. But it was a little bit of a pain getting the things measured right to work without hitting something. The new kit might be "plug and play"... but mine was not, but I assumed it was because the mixed part process I went through to build my kit part by part off of the forums and e-bay.

For the front I only had the complete lower arms, and just the front half of the RK arms... so I bought the metal cloak upper joints. A Metal Cloak front track bar, extended front track bar inks.

I did end up real close to the recommended length for each arm, and there is great articulation with the RK arms. I have been running this for about 3.5 years.

I thought I had to do so many little adjustments because it was not all a RK kit. But it sounds like it would be the same even with all their stuff.

Last edited:

mastrcruse

Ive run a RK 3.5" "midarm" and just upgraded to their long arm kit.

First off, anyone that tells you not to buy their arms because they push your rear axle back is wrong. You now have the choice between the 1" and stock length so they've correctedand elimntaed the stretch to acoomdate the 2 doors (you can do it for the 4 doors too). Ive come down hard many time on my control arms and have never had a problem...after 40k miles and several wheeling trips.i guess I never sat there thinking "dang wish I had beefier joints".

There are some really good arms out there. I'd stick with Evo's or RK's for the simple fact they are the front runners in the industry and seem be to pulling further ahead of others. Pick your poison and either way you go, they'll last and you'll be happy. No matter what you get...make sure your installer knows how to install adjustable arms.

Ddays

Hooked
Just so my position is clear: I would NOT recommend the 1" stretch arms. I honestly can't say that there is any advantage to them considering how much work is required to get it right. The STOCK length arm kit would more than likely be just fine.

303DAILY

I have a friend that is running RK arms and seems to like them but it's a 4 door so he has not had any clearance issues but he kept stock front and rear track bars.
I'm running the enforcer and love it but I have bent my stock rear control arms twice on the pass side.
I'm going to get the JKS rear fixed length arms they look pretty nice so if you haven't checked them out you should.

DRTYRAT30

My opinion on the 1" stretch is it centers the wheel in the well. When you have a swing axis style control arm the higher the jeep suspension goes up the more the wheel comes forward towards the front of the jeep. With the 3.5" lift the 1" stretch help push the wheel back to more of a stock location. With my 15' the front pinch is already trimmed from factory and all I had to do is trim the rear pinch to match and I am able to stuff the wheel centered without contact.

But like everyone says it takes planning and a lot of work to get this X-factor kit right. Definitely not a bolt on and go thing. But I am happy with how it all worked out. But like I said one day I will move up to a evo/King coil over setup.

mastrcruse

If you get an installer that knows what they are doing you will have ZERO problems with RK shit on a 2 door. It is a mute point and was true on the old arms. The new arms allow more options but many are referring to the old kits. With older kits you'll have to be cautious but the new ones can be setup perfectly.

Jtvegas

I have the 3.5 X factor kit and it's been all good. Great flex and really impressed with the highway feel. As for the track bar just slightly angled it and doesn't hit aftermarket diff cover. The most important thing is just make sure all Krawler joints are vertical and torqued properly and they will not move. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469901238.135921.jpg

Top Bottom