FORDYCE for the FUN of It - In Before the Grooming

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I miss the desert southwest, and i can live vicariously thru you guys. Your photos and videos are always great and this is no exception. Love it.

KICKROX

Wow, amazing views and great shots of your rigs. I'm working hard to get my Jeep in shape for this kind of trail and would love to conquer it one day. (Baby steps, 37's first.. Haha)

I know the feeling right there! Smoke and all..LOL

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470106014.672989.jpg

matt1171

Awesome pics and great story... as usual. What I want to know is... how do you decide who drives which Jeep? LOL.

bonedaddy

I cringed when i scrolled and saw Rubicat sideways, i was afraid to scroll down... ;)

Great picts and amazing obstacles and scenery per usual, thanks for sharing guys!

Brute

Hooked
Glad you enjoyed the pics. So that it isn't missed, the Rubicon is a tough trail especially if you run obstacles like the Soup Bowl and drop down the Old Sluice. Of course, the previous version of the Little Sluice was nothing short of nuts. That being said, yeah, it sure is nice to be able to pick up and do a run like this on a whim. Of course, if I were really cool, I would sit behind my computer and post up stupid on Instagram and Facebook all day long. :crazyeyes:

LOL!! I hope you realize that as much as we enjoy taking on a tough trail like this, our true passion is in getting out in to the wild and exploring. If we can do it with friends, all the better. The wheeling for us is just icing on the cake. :cool:

LOL!! Well, all I can say is that I've been doing this for a really long time and I still feel like I lack the experience to run trails like this. :crazyeyes:

Thanks! I hope you enjoy your time on the Rubicon. August is a good time to go especially being that the mosquitos aren't as bad. How long will you be around the area?

Glad you enjoyed the photos and write-up. Knowing guys like you appreciate it makes it worth the while :)

Can you imagine what the creek looks like at 800cfs?! :shock:

LOL!! I was thinking the same thing :crazyeyes: :D

The plan was to head down to South Lake Tahoe on 8/14...then head back to Seattle on 8/19...

RebelconJk

Wow!!! Such amazing photos, this trail looks amazing and really beautiful! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for taking the time to document such a cool trip! :thumb:

You know, I've been in really tippy situations and as nerve racking as that can be, I can honestly say that fear was the last thing going through my head when I though I was going over for sure. It was so sudden and unexpected and if anything, I more PISSED than anything. Go figure :crazyeyes:

I felt the same way when I flopped mine. I was just really pissed off. I tend to get quiet when I'm angry and luckily my wife quickly recognized that I was upset and maintained composure so that the kids felt safe (which they were). We were laying on the driver's side so I couldn't really do much until my buddies got us most of the way back over.

spider

Thanks for all your hard work in providing these awesome photos of your adventures out there. Really nice to see what its like out there for those that arent so lucky in getting to take a trip that far out. Looks amazing. Great work too!

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
That's an amazing adventure thank you sharing Eddie loved the pics really nice and scenic trail

Trail JK

Checking out this thread again winch hill #1 & winch hill #5 look really intense. Off camber messes with my mind. Looked like an awesome adventure! Maybe someday... looks scary! [emoji51]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffj

Caught the Bug
That is an awesome thread! There's something about those mountains out there that I just love and great job with the photos to capture the beauty.

LOCNROL

Eddie, I really enjoyed this post and series of great pictures! Several years back I went with a group of friends (6 vehicles) from California (My wife and I are from Arizona) to run the Rubicon and Fordyce. None of us had ever done Fordyce and, of course we were on our own as it wasn't during the annual run. Our guide book said it would take us about 5 hours so we were in no hurry to get to the trail head. We arrived and began our trek at about 10 am. At winch hill #1 the oldest vehicle (CJ5) among our group broke a spring perch and it was downhill from there. I found myself thrust into the lead and 2 of our six jeeps got off the trail at 4 am the next morning. I negotiated winch hills 3-5 in the dark and at various points my wife was walking in the lead with a flashlight to recommend lines and make sure we stayed on the trail. On winch hill 4 the CJ again lost his spring from the jury rigged perch and the last 4 vehicles decided to wait until dawn to try to fix him again. My wife and I and the Jeep behind us went on into Truckee, after getting up winch hill #5 (I turned slightly early and actually climbed the rounded slick rock and then jagged boulder to the left of your jeep in your hill 5 photo) and brought back a thermos of coffee and some donuts for those who had waited on the trail for dawn. I have attached a photo of my 01 TJ going thru water crossing 2. (Terra Flex 4" long arm suspension, 5:38 gears, ARB lockers Front and Rear, 4-1 crawl box and many other extras but only 35" tires. [I notice you recommend nothing smaller than 37's in your post, now]) Not too deep, until the hole right before exiting, but water was really moving fast.

Attachments

• Fordyce crossing.jpg
    Fordyce crossing.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Top Bottom