Unlimited Deuce reborn (Hemi, 60s, PS Armour, Etc)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. Everyone in Alabama that I wheeled with used a trailer for the simple fact that one 2500 pulling two jeeps gets better gas mileage than2 jeeps, and because they needed a way to get home if/when somethjbg broke. You can build all you want for the situation but if sonething crucial breaks, you're screwed.

Again, a lot of good a trailer is gonna do ya if you can't even get back to it.

Mel should be ashamed of himself. Pulling his rig. Lol!! View attachment 219039

Uh, among other things, his rig literally gets 3 MPG, has no AC but plenty of heat from the engine, has no windshield and most importantly, it isn't street legal. Of course, when it broke more than once crossing over 640 miles of Norther Nevada Desert, a trailer isn't what got him to finish a race. Just sayin.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug

Uh, among other things, his rig literally gets 3 MPG, has no AC but plenty of heat from the engine, has no windshield and most importantly, it isn't street legal. Of course, when it broke more than once crossing over 640 miles of Norther Nevada Desert, a trailer isn't what got him to finish a race. Just sayin.

It was a joke, hence the lol.

caminton

Yeah you're telling me. We had a guy break his front axle on a very heavily modified (read rednecked) YJ out in the middle of an ORV park. Less than a mile or two from the parking area, but of course the only way in/out isn't hospitable for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. So his son went back, got the trailer and hooked it to his TJ, drove back, and pulled his dad out on it, down a pretty steep incline.

Guess what I'm saying is, yes i understand the idea that it should be driveable to and from the trail. I just don't understand the whole "trailers are bad" mentality. You never know when having a trailer at the parking area 25 miles away instead of AAA a hundred miles away could save you a headache and a couple bucks.

Tl,dr: I'm all for building a drive to/from the trail rig. I don't think anyone should give someone else shit for wanting an extra layer of security.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug

when are we going to get a video of the Hemi running?

what kind of modifications need to take place to the body in order to turn a 2wd into a 4wd? also how do the transfer cases work with the 2wd jeeps? are there just no options for a front yoke, thus having no option to connect to the front axle?

I would think the easiest way to do this is swap the front axle and add a front drive shaft, but this just seems too simple. the transfer case would also need to be replaced right?

Benito

Caught the Bug

what kind of modifications need to take place to the body in order to turn a 2wd into a 4wd? also how do the transfer cases work with the 2wd jeeps? are there just no options for a front yoke, thus having no option to connect to the front axle?

I would think the easiest way to do this is swap the front axle and add a front drive shaft, but this just seems too simple. the transfer case would also need to be replaced right?

I believe the 2wd jeeps just had a longer drive shaft attached to the end of the transmission rather than having a transfer case and then a drive shaft. I suppose what would be needed to convert a 2wd to 4wd would be 1. Transfer case 2. New front and rear drive shafts 3. Front axle with internals and swap the steering and ends over if you go with a jk D44 type axle or a complete front axle.

Mizippi

I haven't checked in in sometime. Seems like I missed out on the fun.

All very very good points. I don't need the trailer, but I decided to pull the trigger on it.

Here are my general thoughts:

- when wheeling local I will not use the trailer
- I do plan to make some long trips (rubicon trial, Moab, east coast, etc), so this will make the trip more comfortable (I am 6'5" 265 lbs)
- insurance policy - which is about my driving skills more then the rig (man enough to say I am still learning)
- with my job I spend a lot of time on calls, so the cab of the truck will allow me to work on the way to and from the trail
- I do plan to take longer trips just in the jeep (no trailer)
- I will need the trailer anyway for other things

Basically, I agree with everyone here. I plan to not use the trailer more than use it (that's cooler), but will have it for times where it works better for me.

Last edited:

Mizippi

Quick reply:
- 2WD have no transfer case just a long rear drive shaft
- items needed to turn it into a 4WD:
* transfer case
* complete front axle
* new or modified cross member
* new front and rear drive shafts
* odds and ends

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Mizippi

Request for advise: since I started with a 2wd I need some skid plates that will work with EVO long arms. Thoughts?

BenJKWrangler15

By the way. I am thinking about getting a Ram 2500 and a PJ Buggy Trailer (102" wide with drive over fenders), so I can wheel it with out as much fear around getting it home. Thoughts?

After all that feedback all I can say is that at the end of the day, it's your build and your way of seeing things and living life that' going to make you choose you need it or not.

My opinion is to make it so that you can drive to the trail and back home. If something breaks, fix it, or as the others said, get AAA or whatever road assistance you can get in the US so that if you can't fix it right on the spot, you can bring it either home, a garage or to the nearest parts store parking lot and get the job done there, IMO.

Whenever I go wheeling, often out of Canada and into the US, I just make sure to pack tools "smart" meaning bring what you'll need to fix whatever's on your rig and the essential: Duck Tape & Tie raps.

Mizippi

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472769985.583894.jpg

Got her back today. I will load a video of her cranked up soon. No it's time to get back to work....fenders, Etc

(I need under Armour that will work with the hemi and long arms)

Mizippi

Well. Short trip home. She's headed back for coilovers sooner than I thought.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473731379.375901.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473731397.256364.jpg

Soo compressed the PSC is almost touching

jesse3638

Hooked
Couldn't disagree more. The whole point of building up my Jeeps the way I do is so that I don't need a trailer. If I needed a trailer, I'd just get a side-by-side. Of course, that is just me.

I enjoy that too. Even if it has the ABS light on and a new vibration and squeak..haha. Still go tme hom eunder her own power.

Once again, I agree with building to the best of your means to prevent failures. But, if you do have a serious break on the trail, when would someone say "I sure am upset I have a trailer to put this one and pull it home"

I completely agree that the idea situation is to have a rig built to the tilt that will never break, but I could see a trailer for rigs that aren't to that level is worthwhile. Not trying to get into an argument, just my opinion.

When I broke my drive shaft on the Rockin Rubicon run my first thought wasn't, "Shit how am I gonna get home!?" It was, "Fuck, I'm barely 2 miles in and now I have to go home without finishing this awesome trip"

Or you learn how to fix it to get home.

^^^This^^^ That is why I do all of my own wrenching, to learn my Jeep. I knew how to fix it I was just missing the pininon nut and T-case nut sockets and the critical part, a new rear driveshaft...:crazyeyes: I am grateful to everyone for making my trip be able to continue. Sorry I know I've mentioned this several times through out the forum.

Mizippi

One more

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473735658.427390.jpg

Now that I think about it, this has nothing to do with the coils, but more likely the positioning of the clap...will look again in the day light

Last edited:
Top Bottom