Our Jeeping Trip to Ouray, July 2016

RUBICONGER

Hell of a trip! Ouray has been on my list for a while and two co-workers did it last month (I think it was just to rub it in my face). Thanks for the great pics! Looking forward to doing this next year!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Hell of a trip! Ouray has been on my list for a while and two co-workers did it last month (I think it was just to rub it in my face). Thanks for the great pics! Looking forward to doing this next year!

The great thing is, my new wife loved it, and wants to take more Jeep trips!

RUBICONGER

The great thing is, my new wife loved it, and wants to take more Jeep trips!

You know, that's a great idea! I haven't yet met the next Mrs. Rubiconger, but when I do, i'm taking her to Ouray! A) How could you not fall in love with Ouray, it's absolutely amazing! B)How could you not fall in love with Jeepin' while taking in those spectacular views?!
Sounds like I found my new first date location!

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
That is awesome! I was in Ouray the same time you were. Our trip started on July 23rd in Omaha, NE. We left at 5am and headed west. We arrived in Colorado and my buddy Joe had to do an oil change. The night before we left, we finished swapping a stroked 4.0 (4.9 from 505 performance) into his 1994 YJ on 46" tires. My other buddy Jeff who went with us, had to change his diff fluid as we pulled into Colorado because we had finished putting a G2 axle in the front and regearing the rear axle in his 2015 JK. Because of these delays, we only made it to Canon City the first night.

The next day we proceeded to Lake City, CO where we stopped for lunch before heading up Engineer pass. On Engineer pass, Joe broke his tie rod so we had to limp his massive Jeep off the mountain and into Silverton. The next day, him and I went to Durango via Hwy 550 to get parts. Oh my gosh, what a drive!!! I love Colorado, but I hope to never drive hwy 550 again LOL. I don't do well with heights...can you tell? :)

We ended up fixing his Jeep and that night traveled to Ouray. We got to Ouray around 10pm and couldn't find a campsite, so we ended up staying at the only hotel in town with vacancy...The Western Inn. It was haunted....don't ask me how I know. When we woke up, we traveled down 550 to Ophir pass. I saw the same post office you did, and I took a picture as well. My stepdad is the postmaster back home so I thought it was funny and sent it to him.

Overall, the trip was fantastic and because of the issues we ran into we weren't able to do ALL the trails I wanted, but there's always the future to go back and run more! It's funny you stayed at the KOA in Ouray, because our very last night we stayed there as well. I do remember seeing a TON of very nice Jeeps in the campground and all of Colorado (I got jealous). Thank you for sharing the pictures! I would have attached some as well but I'm at work right now and don't have any.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. These pictures are amazing. Thank you for taking the time to post everything you did.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That is awesome! I was in Ouray the same time you were. Our trip started on July 23rd in Omaha, NE. We left at 5am and headed west. We arrived in Colorado and my buddy Joe had to do an oil change. The night before we left, we finished swapping a stroked 4.0 (4.9 from 505 performance) into his 1994 YJ on 46" tires. My other buddy Jeff who went with us, had to change his diff fluid as we pulled into Colorado because we had finished putting a G2 axle in the front and regearing the rear axle in his 2015 JK. Because of these delays, we only made it to Canon City the first night.

The next day we proceeded to Lake City, CO where we stopped for lunch before heading up Engineer pass. On Engineer pass, Joe broke his tie rod so we had to limp his massive Jeep off the mountain and into Silverton. The next day, him and I went to Durango via Hwy 550 to get parts. Oh my gosh, what a drive!!! I love Colorado, but I hope to never drive hwy 550 again LOL. I don't do well with heights...can you tell? :)

We ended up fixing his Jeep and that night traveled to Ouray. We got to Ouray around 10pm and couldn't find a campsite, so we ended up staying at the only hotel in town with vacancy...The Western Inn. It was haunted....don't ask me how I know. When we woke up, we traveled down 550 to Ophir pass. I saw the same post office you did, and I took a picture as well. My stepdad is the postmaster back home so I thought it was funny and sent it to him.

Overall, the trip was fantastic and because of the issues we ran into we weren't able to do ALL the trails I wanted, but there's always the future to go back and run more! It's funny you stayed at the KOA in Ouray, because our very last night we stayed there as well. I do remember seeing a TON of very nice Jeeps in the campground and all of Colorado (I got jealous). Thank you for sharing the pictures! I would have attached some as well but I'm at work right now and don't have any.

It's an awesome trip, and worth it for the beautiful scenery, even if the trails aren't that technically difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom