Oil Change for Emma

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There's really nothing special about doing an oil change on any vehicle but being that I was doing one on Emma, our 1969 C101 Jeepster Commando, I figured I'd take a few shots and make a post about it just because. Certainly for those of you who've never worked on old iron like this, you might enjoy seeing how so little has changed over the years. Also, a few of you might not know it but back in the day, a lot of Jeeps were manufactured with motors that weren't made by Willys, Kaiser or AMC. In fact, the 225 Dauntless V6 under Emma's hood was actually made by Buick. Anyway, here are a few shots that I took while changing her oil, I hope you enjoy :cool:

Here's a shot of everything needed to change the oil on a Jeepster Commando with a Dauntless V6. I make that note because some C101's did come with a 134 F-Head Hurricane I4. As you can see, this old motor still likes a nice heavy 15W40 and the WIX 51258 filter was readily available at my local O'Reilly's auto parts store.
main.php

I already had Emma racked up as I was doing a routine inspection so I used the opportunity to service her as well.
main.php

Using a 9/16" socket to remove the drain bolt.
main.php

Draining her pan of the black stuff.
main.php

Using a 9/16" socket to reinstall the drain bolt.
main.php

It's kind of nice that the 3.6L Pentastar that comes in modern Jeep JK Wranglers use a cartridge filter that gets installed at the top of the engine but back in the day, a canister filter was attached to the side of the block and a filter wrench was needed to remove it.
main.php

Carefully removing the old filter and allowing the remaining oil to drain out.
main.php

Applying just a smear of old oil to the rubber gasket on the new WIX filter to give it a bit of lubrication for installation.
main.php

Installing the new WIX filter to a nice solid hand tightness.
main.php

Pouring in a fresh 5 quarts of oil back into Emma's engine.
main.php

And that's all there is to it. Again, nothing special about this post but I hope you enjoyed it just the same :cool:

swampdog

Changing oil is therapeutic for me. As much as I love doing it, I love to see it being done by others.

Dude, the feeling of starting it back up after a oil change is surreal. It's like I can feel the jeep thanking me for what I did. Not joking, I feel more at peace after an oil change. I know, crazy.

JAGS

Hooked
It's great reading and seeing posts about the vintage jeeps in your stable. I enjoy those as much, if not more, than than the others. The fact that you have three classics is simply too cool. [emoji41]

Brute

Hooked
Killer jeeps aside, I'm digging the garage...when I showed my wife my plans for a proper garage, she was not "very enthusiastic" (understated)...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Killer jeeps aside, I'm digging the garage...when I showed my wife my plans for a proper garage, she was not "very enthusiastic" (understated)...

LOL!! I guess I'll consider myself lucky that it was Cindy who found this place in a Home & Land magazine and said "Hey look! It has a 6 car garage in the back and WITH a lift!!" :crazyeyes:

Azzi

Changing oil is therapeutic for me. As much as I love doing it, I love to see it being done by others.

I swear every time I change the oil in anything it feels like it runs better, like I made it happier somehow and its letting me know?!?! It could be in the mower, golf cart, four wheelers, dirt bikes, diesel, or the Jeep...... They all thank me for it.

Top Bottom