Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Regearing

Helpful thread I had questions about this as well! Im running 35s on my 01 tj sport, still 3.73 gearing, I want to re gear, but at the same time, I'm still running the Dana 30/44 combo, not sure if it's worth re gearing a Dana 30 or not haha I'm a cpl in the marine corps and my money tree isn't bearing much fruit currently so Dana 60s aren't really an option anytime soon lol any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would do the 4.56 for 35's and 4.10 for 33's

Wheel that d30 if you don't go real crazy it'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Keggerbombs View Post
    Helpful thread I had questions about this as well! Im running 35s on my 01 tj sport, still 3.73 gearing, I want to re gear, but at the same time, I'm still running the Dana 30/44 combo, not sure if it's worth re gearing a Dana 30 or not haha I'm a cpl in the marine corps and my money tree isn't bearing much fruit currently so Dana 60s aren't really an option anytime soon lol any thoughts?

I have 4.88s in mine. I have a Dana 30 in the front and an 8.8 in the rear. If you have a 3 speed auto that's going to be too low. You would want like a 4.56. How much highway/city driving do you do?

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by MrYJ92 View Post
    I do have plans to run a bigger tire but that's off a good ways. For now though probably going to stick with the 33's. Like I said a lot of guys I've seen that are running the same setup, run the 4.56's so seems like that's the way to go. Take in consideration I'll probably have a fresh rebuild on the 4.0 and the AX to go along with the regearing. Love to do a v8 swap but that's just not in the picture right now

Are you paying a shop to do the work or will you do it yourself?

If you're doing it yourself, I would say go ahead and re gear to 4.10. After that I wouldn't go any bigger on tires than the 33. There's a good chance of breaking something, most likely in the rear (odd, but the weak link is that D35, not the 30)

If you're paying a shop to do the work, you'll spend almost as much re-gearing as you would finding another axle (D44) with the gearing you want and have them weld on some spring perches for you. You can get up to a 35" tire with no issues and even a 37" tire with a few axle upgrades. When you do plan on wheeling it heavily, I would definitely find that lovely '78/79 Ford F-250/350 Dana 60. It's almost a direct fit bolt in replacement.

My first jeep was a 94 YJ 4.0. I loved it. I also had to fix it quite a bit. Another thing to keep in mind is the steering gearbox won't handle larger than a 33" off road. I broke a couple of them. If you need a bolt on replacement with a bigger piston, a 98/99 Dodge Durango steering box (get the one for the snow plow setup; it has more turns from stop to stop) is a direct fit bolt in with a larger piston. It works great and lasts a long time (I never had to replace it after that).

Quote Originally Posted by tdans View Post
    I have 4.88s in mine. I have a Dana 30 in the front and an 8.8 in the rear. If you have a 3 speed auto that's going to be too low. You would want like a 4.56. How much highway/city driving do you do?

Just saw this reply haha I have a 5 speed manual, 30/44 front and rear, 3.73 gears right now on 35in tires. I don't drive far but like the option too, a lot of city driving, but don't need to go over 60 haha

I would think you would be fine with 4.88 or 4.56. I love my 4.88 gears!

4:88 aren't a bad way to go for an automatic at all. I have a 2012 with 37's and at 70 I'm at about 2800 rpms, I think someone said with 5:13 at 70 they were at 3000. Going up a long steep grade is the only time I would need the 5:13 and with me it's not that often. And if your going to be running 35's for a while 4:88 might make sense.
    2014 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    4:88 aren't a bad way to go for an automatic at all. I have a 2012 with 37's and at 70 I'm at about 2800 rpms, I think someone said with 5:13 at 70 they were at 3000. Going up a long steep grade is the only time I would need the 5:13 and with me it's not that often. And if your going to be running 35's for a while 4:88 might make sense.
    Sorry I thought this was another thread. I just saw you have a tj
    2014 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Fresh Catch
    As far as the front axle, see if you can find a xj d30 as they are high pinion and give you some extra strength and also gets the drive shaft up out of the way. Helps with drive shaft angles when lifted.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Present Jeep:
    2013 JK Unlimited, 35 GY Duratrac's, AEV front bumper, Warn winch, Rancho 9000, RE 2.5" spacers for now.
    Past Jeeps:
    2015 JK sport 2 door, stock
    1999 TJ, 4" currie system, Dana 44's lockright's, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ, warn winch custom front, rear and side rails. flat flares etc.
    1994, YJ, 4" procomp springs, dana 44's lockrights, 33" BFG Mud's warn winch, and TJ flares
    1987, YJ, 2" custom leafs 31" Cooper MT