Motech Gen V Startup

Journeyman

You guys keep shoving this in our faces and pretty soon this expense will very justified for me. Just needing to do axle upgrades before hand so my drive train can handle this.
Keep them coming!

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Any more updates on the Gen V kit? Curious on pricing for the DIY/builder's Gen V kit. How about the 8L80 transmission?

Last edited:

MOTECH

Any more updates on the Gen V kit? Curious on pricing for the DIY/builder's Gen V kit. How about the 8L80 transmission?

Were sending our first Gen V kit out for feedback. We are installing a Gen V 6.2 with 8 speed in a high profile build, I will have pics up soon.

MOTECH

Hey Robbie, with the LS swaps, do the PSC hydro assist systems work off of the Chevy factory pump or is there a specific PSC pump for the LS engines?

Thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You can go either way. If running our JK drive you can retain your PSC PS pump and hydraulics. If running the OE GM drive you will use the GM PS pump. I feel the GM pump is a good choice, it is quiet and has plenty of volume and pressure, they use these pumps for hydroboost.

If running 40's with the GM pump you may have to remove the flow valve in the pump and mod it for more flow, GM sets them up for smaller tires. You only need to do this if you get stutter or delayed steering at low rpm. These LS's can idle below 500 rpm so the pump is not turning very fast. You can also run a smaller diameter pulley but we find that is not required.

One advantage of the Gen V engines is the built in vacumn pump, so crawling even at an idle you have full brake assist available.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
You can go either way. If running our JK drive you can retain your PSC PS pump and hydraulics. If running the OE GM drive you will use the GM PS pump. I feel the GM pump is a good choice, it is quiet and has plenty of volume and pressure, they use these pumps for hydroboost.

If running 40's with the GM pump you may have to remove the flow valve in the pump and mod it for more flow, GM sets them up for smaller tires. You only need to do this if you get stutter or delayed steering at low rpm. These LS's can idle below 500 rpm so the pump is not turning very fast. You can also run a smaller diameter pulley but we find that is not required.

One advantage of the Gen V engines is the built in vacumn pump, so crawling even at an idle you have full brake assist available.

Is there any benefit to running one set of front drive accessories (GM vs JK) over the other? Right now I'm stuck on LS3 or L86. Also, if one were to plan on mild mods to the engine (intake/heads/etc), can your ECMs be tuned for something like that?

Last edited:

MOTECH

Is there any benefit to running one set of front drive accessories (GM vs JK) over the other? Right now I'm stuck on LS3 or L86. Also, if one were to plan on mild mods to the engine (intake/heads/etc), can your ECMs be tuned for something like that?

Both work but I am partial to our JK drive. If running the GM drive it's best to have a 3" lift or the passenger UCA will get close to the AC compressor. We do offer a compact Sanden compressor for the GM drive that gives good clearance.
With the JK drive the AC and PS hoses remain stock, with the GM drive we build them.

As far as drivability you will not notice a difference they work equally well. The GM drive is available in a kit and available around the world so that is a consideration, GM parts are less expensive and readily available.

We ceased production on our steel JK brackets due to the costs involved; however, we have designed all new billet brackets that require no alignment. The Truck and LS3 have different accessory drives so each will be supported separately. These brackets will be available soon and we will machine them in house.

The L86 and LS3 are both great engines. Currently I think the LS3 is hard to beat value for dollar. The LS3 is near 450 HP but will idle on the trail all day. The LS3 is about the most supported in the aftermarkt world wide where the Gen V engines have a way to go. The LS3 is a simple engine, high compression, no VVT, no AFM the pinnacle of the old American OHV V8 engine. The Gen V engine with DI, CVVT are pushing Eurepeon technology which is the future.

On a recent road trip an LS3 JKU we built about 4 years ago went up with a Gen V L86 6.2. Loaded down with gear both JK's drove 540 miles from Vegas to Fordyce, ran the trail and then drove back. Both did excellent given the harsh conditions. The LS3 proved it is still very viable against the new technology. What we found is loaded down with gear going 80 mph there is little difference between the two engines. The difference comes when you are lightly loaded cruising around town, the Gen V engine will kick into a 4 cylinder and use the CVVT and DI for better mpg, on regular gas. AFM may annoy some so take that into consideration.

One more aspect of the Gen V is with DI and CVVT it has torque all through the power band so even though the LS3 and L86 are both rated at 430 HP the Gen V has a bit better mid range and does not require as any transmission shifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUENDigmB40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwlldY2VtsI

Lil Nasty

How does the AFM preform in a JKU geared for trails? I had it in my L76 6.0 and didn't notice any difference in mileage with it on or off here in the FLAT South. I had my disabled in tuning and never regretted it. It might have saved 0.5 mpg if that. It was very annoying with my corsa exhaust.

Last edited:

MOTECH

How does the AFM preform in a JKU geared for trails? I had it in my L76 6.0 and didn't notice any difference in mileage with it on or off here in the FLAT South. I had my disabled in tuning and never regretted it. It might have saved 0.5 mpg if that. It was very annoying with my corsa exhaust.b

AFM is almost useless in a heavy JK. In Gen IV engines AFM only kicks in under light loads but when turning 40's on a lifted, heavy JK your rarely under a light load. Light JK's with minimal lift and 32's may see 1-2 mpg increase. We can turn AFM off since it can be annoying.

Gen V engines have more torque under the curve and AFM is more aggressive. When in AFM the Gen V engines can see several mpg improvement, but again you must drive properly to take advantage of it.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
When in AFM the Gen V engines can see several mpg improvement, but again you must drive properly to take advantage of it.

Sounds like I should go with an LS3 then, lol. I have a heavy right foot and would probably get little use from even the Gen V AFM.

MOTECH

Sounds like I should go with an LS3 then, lol. I have a heavy right foot and would probably get little use from even the Gen V AFM.

LS3 is an awesome engine, pretty much the pinnacle of old American V8 technology. The LS3 is very mild but has a lot of power and excellent drivability. The LS3 does require premium gas and synthetic oil but runs for 200,000+ miles and maintenance is low.

The Gen V engines are bringing in European technology like DI, this technology has benefits like being able to run regular gas in high compression engines. It's interesting to see this technology implemented in the good old American V8, basically a similar engine to what our Grandfathers drove.

MOTECH

Gen V 5.3 startup

The Gen V 5.3 L83 engine has a lot of promise. With direct injection, high compression and CVVT we hope it will have the mid range torque a heavy JK requires. We are hesitant to recommend the Gen IV 5.3 in a heavy JK because the 6.0 does a much better job hauling the weight. The problem with the Gen IV 6.0 is it is not compliant in California and other areas so you are stuck with a 5.3 or 6.2.

The new 5.3 also runs on regular gas, uses synthetic 0/20 oil and holds 8 quarts of oil. Here Mitch and Joey start a almost new L83 on the stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymgaey9ktMc&feature=youtu.be

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The Gen V 5.3 L83 engine has a lot of promise. With direct injection, high compression and CVVT we hope it will have the mid range torque a heavy JK requires. We are hesitant to recommend the Gen IV 5.3 in a heavy JK because the 6.0 does a much better job hauling the weight. The problem with the Gen IV 6.0 is it is not compliant in California and other areas so you are stuck with a 5.3 or 6.2.

The new 5.3 also runs on regular gas, uses synthetic 0/20 oil and holds 8 quarts of oil. Here Mitch and Joey start a almost new L83 on the stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymgaey9ktMc&feature=youtu.be

Sweet. I just watched that. I can't wait until you road test it!

Top Bottom