The building of Anvil II -- The Deuce

DP1120

Thank you. Honestly, I could skip the $1300 on gears, and spend it somewhere else. It is acceptable with 4.10, on these tires. We are going to be pulling an R-Pod camper, that weighs about 2650 pounds, empty. That's the reason for the gear change, at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I understand completely. We will be pulling something very similar and will go to a 4.88 gear once i get enough for the 35's for mine. I seem to have too many hobbies that cut into jeep money for some reason from time to time. I am debating gearing mine though as it has the 30 front and i know eventually it will be changed to at least a PR44. Havent decided if i should just go ahead and gear it and try to sell it later to someone that is in need of it or just deal with the 3.73 until i swap axles.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Today, I set the cruise to 70 mph. With 4.10 gears, & 315/70r17 tires, that measure about 33.75", the rpm's were about 2400. Once the gears are broken in, after the installation, I'll get a comparison.

View attachment 249257

Initial impressions of the 4.88 ratio, are positive. I really like the extra punch it has. I need to make sure the mechanic didn't fiddle with the tire size, when he programmed for the axles, but it ran right at 2900 rpm, at 70 mph. At 60 mph, it runs about the same rpm, that it used to run at 70, on the 4.10 gears. Eddie is right about the revs. Don't be too concerned with it being around 3000. It doesn't seem to be struggling at that.

notnalc68

I understand completely. We will be pulling something very similar and will go to a 4.88 gear once i get enough for the 35's for mine. I seem to have too many hobbies that cut into jeep money for some reason from time to time. I am debating gearing mine though as it has the 30 front and i know eventually it will be changed to at least a PR44. Havent decided if i should just go ahead and gear it and try to sell it later to someone that is in need of it or just deal with the 3.73 until i swap axles.

If you are close to buying axles, I'd wait. You are going to spend a grand or two, on the regear.

notnalc68

Still loving the gears. I'm out of the break in period, so I ran a little faster, today. 75 mph puts me just over 3100 rpm. I can live with that.

I got a Mopar wiring harness & trailer brake controller, to install, maybe Saturday.

I've also ordered a do-it-yourself Dynomax Quietcrawler system, and all the parts should be here by Saturday.

notnalc68

What exhaust are you going with?

The short quiet Crawler, like Eddie & aermotor did. Pics tomorrow. I had to stop, before I finished, to meet my wife's parents. I only have to weld up a rear hanger, like Eddie did, since I've got factory exhaust hangers I saved.

Last edited:

notnalc68

Dynomax Quiet Crawler custom set up. I finally got everything finished up, this morning.

IMG_8681.jpg

I wound up using an elbow, that I cut off, for the turn down.

IMG_8680.jpg

The turn down is held in place by a exhaust clamp welded to a leftover factory hanger, like Wayoflife made. It's ugly, I know. I had trouble finding the correct setting on the machine, since I'm a welding newb.

IMG_8679.jpg

The following write ups, by Wayoflife, and aermotor, were inspirational for this setup.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...haust-Installed-on-RUBICAT-w-EVO-Lever-System

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?43804-My-Dynomax-Quiet-Crawler-Modified-Install

Last edited:

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Those Warn rebates sure do take a long time. I never did get an e-mail, I kind of thought they just forgot about me. Then one day about 12 weeks in it showed up. I will say I got my winch during the Christmas season so I think that is why it took the extra time. Hopefully yours will be closer to the 6 week wait.

notnalc68

Those Warn rebates sure do take a long time. I never did get an e-mail, I kind of thought they just forgot about me. Then one day about 12 weeks in it showed up. I will say I got my winch during the Christmas season so I think that is why it took the extra time. Hopefully yours will be closer to the 6 week wait.

Yeah, I bought mine December 5.

Top Bottom