WTF is wrong with people?

Modit

Funny thing is that I didn't even consider it a good deed or anything like that. The way I was raised, you help out when you can because it is EXPECTED of you, not to get you Kharma points. And that's what got me wondering WTF is wrong with people?
And while I'll admit that I did a threat assessment when I pulled up and I had my head on a swivel, both things I do when encountering unknown people and situations, I'm not going to let fear stop me from helping when I can.
I could understand somebody not stopping on a busy freeway because there is a very real chance of becoming another casualty there and in some cases the best thing you can do is to report to others who are better equipped to deal with the situation. But to not take a few moments out of your day to help a neighbor who is already having a bad day (car won't start) just takes the cake.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
That's pretty mest up for everyone to just say I'm to busy when really we know there not there just to lazy to help.

DannyD

It's nice to hear all the stories of helping from wayalife guys, it really speaks to the class of this forum. And as for the stupidity of the world it's just sad last week my neighbor was between fields on his tractor when a kid pulled out in front of him going really slow trying to catch a Pokemon... Luckily my neighbor was able to stop less then a foot from the car. The worst part is the kid thought it was funny!!

I stop and help whenever I possibly can and I constantly get family and friends warning me to be careful. I, of course, use judgement in any situation but I'm not going to let the a$$holes make me one of the crowd. I've picked people up, paid for their gas, and taken them back to their car so they can get to work or wherever they are going many times. It's 20 minutes and a few dollars out of my pocket. Who knows what kind of impact it can have on their day. I've been stuck with no one willing to help. It sucks.

Hightower

If there is anything good about cold climates is that the colder it is the less of that kind of crap you see.

I work in Canada's north you have to be an extreme dick to pass people with car troubles. You stopping or not stopping in the far north could potentially be the difference between life and death. We are all in this together people.

unlblkrubi

I passed a man I recognized as a neighbor sitting on his motorcycle a few miles from where we live. I stopped to see what was up and he said he had run out of gas. I drove home and got a gas can and went back and we filled up his tank. He said he had no cash just plastic and he would pay me back later. Well, it's been over a year now and the SOB still hasn't paid me anything and doesn't even wave when he drives by. People like him make me not stop and help anymore.

I passed a man I recognized as a neighbor sitting on his motorcycle a few miles from where we live. I stopped to see what was up and he said he had run out of gas. I drove home and got a gas can and went back and we filled up his tank. He said he had no cash just plastic and he would pay me back later. Well, it's been over a year now and the SOB still hasn't paid me anything and doesn't even wave when he drives by. People like him make me not stop and help anymore.

When I help someone it's me giving (read, giving) what I have available that might help. Gas, jump start, flat tire help whatever. A thanks is all I would accept. Especially for some months old lawn mower gas.

Yea kinda lame he doesn't wave or say hi to you. Did he before? Probably not. It was just a gallon or three of gas. Move on

swampdog

When I help someone it's me giving (read, giving) what I have available that might help. Gas, jump start, flat tire help whatever. A thanks is all I would accept. Especially for some months old lawn mower gas.

Yea kinda lame he doesn't wave or say hi to you. Did he before? Probably not. It was just a gallon or three of gas. Move on

I agree with this 100%.

WJCO

Meme King

I agree with this 100%.

Same here. I would be happy to give for free on something like that. Unless it's some parasite neighbor who's always asking for stuff with no signs of appreciation or reciprocation, then you're feeding the parasite.

Stotch

Caught the Bug

I'm sure a lot of people who don't stop have some kind of story like this or something that happened that's stopping them. That doesn't change the fact that you'd be an ass hole for not stopping to help out a neighbor in need.

I agree with this 100%.

Agreed. Move on and be a decent human being.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
To add to the gas situation, there have been numerous times I have seen people on the corner begging for money for gas. I will never ever give them money but I have always and I truly mean always offer to fill there tank full of gas. Sometimes it might have been $20 or it could've been $50 or $60. I have never had anybody take me up on the offer. Never. I truly want to believe they need the money for something good but know it's prob for drugs or something. That seriously pisses me off that people can be that low. Specially when they get their kids involved. The wife and I seen a lady and her kids setting on the tailgate of a truck one time with a sign begging for gas money. I asked them if they needed gas and she kept saying "yes we need money for gas" so I kept repeating myself and told her to pull her truck to the gas station across the street and we would fill her truck up. She declined. Didn't want the gas but wanted money. Damn that pisses me off.

Scrambler

I had a guy run out of gas in front of my house one time and I put 5 gallons of premium (it's all I had) from my ATV gas can and he said I'll run the tank down to the gas station, fill it back up with premium, and drop it back by. Never saw that can again and I spent a decent amount of money on it.

I will say that the neighbor kid knocked on the door awhile back asking to borrow some tools and I lent them to him. Not only did he return the tools, but he dropped off the new JP magazine and the one from the prior month. I wasn't expecting anything for lending the tools, but the actual tools themselves returned. Cool story that made up for my prior bad experience of helping someone out.

Modit

I've had the gas thing happen too. Usually in the Walmart parking lot as I'm loading the bags into the Jeep. There's a gas station in the corner of the parking lot. I tell them to head over to the station and I'll be ver there when I'm finished loading. I've yet to have one take me up on the offer.

Littlewolf

Driving over the road people are always hitting me up for money . Years ago a guy asked for money for some food for his son . No problem its for a kid , five minutes later i watch him and his kid climb in 120,000.00 dollar semi and drive off. Burned me to this day ask for money and answer is no ,ask for help with something and i will jump rite in to it .

rogerk93

Not what someone did but I seen a jeep a few days ago with stock everything except for the fact he had a dual 50" light bar set up. First off when are you ever going to need a dual set up like that. I mean get wheels and tires first at least.

JWT

The guy's a dick, he was a dick before you stopped, and he'll be a dick for the rest of his life (unless obviously he acts to change). He probably didn't even recognize you as a neighbor when you stopped, and didn't care that you were when you told him. I have a strict policy of not helping dicks or liars--I will stop and see what I can do, but I'll also leave without helping if something doesn't make sense.

When I was in my 20s and even 30s I used to say "Who am I to judge? I'll do the right thing and whatever else happens in on them." But that's just naive. There's the saying "There but for the grace of God go I." I prefer "God helps those who help themselves," or even better "Trust in Allah, but tie your camel to the post."

atrollip

" But that's just naive. There's the saying "There but for the grace of God go I." I prefer "God helps those who help themselves," or even better "Trust in Allah, but tie your camel to the post."[/QUOTE]

That there is funny, just snorted my beer. Lol. :sly:

JK Pleepleus

Up by me the appalachian trail runs across the road I live on, the other day there were a couple of hikers (guy and girl) with big packs thumbing for a ride down the hill to the store, I was going the other way, I saw car after car go by them, it was also about to dump rain, I turned around and went back and gave them a lift in my jeep, it was pouring by the time I came back to the spot where they were. They were happy and didn't need anything but a ride, no loss of money for me just a little time, hard to believe that people going their way didn't stop...

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Up by me the appalachian trail runs across the road I live on, the other day there were a couple of hikers (guy and girl) with big packs thumbing for a ride down the hill to the store, I was going the other way, I saw car after car go by them, it was also about to dump rain, I turned around and went back and gave them a lift in my jeep, it was pouring by the time I came back to the spot where they were. They were happy and didn't need anything but a ride, no loss of money for me just a little time, hard to believe that people going their way didn't stop...

When we were in Colorado and going down Cinnamon Pass a man and two women were walking down back towards Animas Fork. They were carrying a bunch of stuff so it was obvious they weren't out just hiking. We stopped and asked if they were ok, they said their rental buggy and broke a tie rod and they were having to walk back to town. We gave them a ride and met their buddy in a another buggy coming up to find them. They had been walking most of the afternoon and nobody had stopped to give them a ride.

Top Bottom