TJ Ford 8.8 Parking Brake

TJLife99

Hi guys,

This is my first post so I'll try to be as detailed as I can. I bought a 1999 TJ Wrangler back in January that I've done a lot of work/rebuilding to. It's pretty much ready for the road other than needing front upper/lower ball joints and a parking brake, but I can't figure out the parking brake for the life of me. I've done a bunch of research online and have found the EB4- M.O.R.E Emergency Brake Cable for the 8.8, but this appears to just be a conversion cable and I need the entire cable from where the OEM TJ cable ends (approximately from under the rear seat) all the way to the rear axle, as the 8.8 does not currently have any parking brake cables attached to it.

If anyone has run into this before, any information would be helpful.

Thanks a ton!

Will

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wish I could help you out. I always wanted to run an 8.8 on my old TJ. Hopefully someone here can be of more assistance.

tdans

I used dorman part c660059 on Amazon they are like $20 I also used black magic brakes caliper reverse so I had more room do outboard my shocks here is a pic of the axle build though. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471619980.455332.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Check out east coast gear supply. They have a decent selection on 8.8 swaps into jeeps. I purchased my e brake cables through them for my swap into my YJ.

dillard09

Check out east coast gear supply. They have a decent selection on 8.8 swaps into jeeps. I purchased my e brake cables through them for my swap into my YJ.

I was going to say the same thing. ECGS is where I bought my 8.8 for my YJ. They have a pretty good selection of 8.8 stuff. If they don't have it on the website try and give them a call. They were really great over the phone, very knowledgeable, and answered all my question.

TJLife99

Thanks guys!

I actually ended up picking up the ECGS cables. Got them all hooked up (were a bit long but did fit) and nothing worked. The lever on the axle that the cable is supposed to move barely moves. I just finished the "Ford 8.8 Parking Brake Hardware Kit" from ECGS which replaces all the springs, wheels, and clips but the lever still doesn't seem to move much. Not sure what the deal was but had to walk away from it after a while out of frustration. Maybe I'll have one of my friends take a look at it. Trying to get it done before Mountain Madness in 2 weeks.

dillard09

Thanks guys!

I actually ended up picking up the ECGS cables. Got them all hooked up (were a bit long but did fit) and nothing worked. The lever on the axle that the cable is supposed to move barely moves. I just finished the "Ford 8.8 Parking Brake Hardware Kit" from ECGS which replaces all the springs, wheels, and clips but the lever still doesn't seem to move much. Not sure what the deal was but had to walk away from it after a while out of frustration. Maybe I'll have one of my friends take a look at it. Trying to get it done before Mountain Madness in 2 weeks.

Give ECGS guys a call I'm sure they can walk you through what you might need to adjust.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
The levers on mine were stiff from rust and gunk. They required some love before they would move freely.

TJLife99

The levers are 100% seized and do not move at all. Have them sitting in PB blast and will probably have to take them to the vice to free up, or replace if I can find replacements. I'll upload pictures when I'm finished showing exactly what the problem was and how it was fixed (which is hopefully this week).

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
The levers are 100% seized and do not move at all. Have them sitting in PB blast and will probably have to take them to the vice to free up, or replace if I can find replacements. I'll upload pictures when I'm finished showing exactly what the problem was and how it was fixed (which is hopefully this week).

Thinking back I had to hit them with a hammer back and forth until I could get them out and then I took them to a fiber wheel to clean them up.

Top Bottom