Beadlock question....

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling
How does everyone balance their bead locks? Odds are this is a stupid question so I apologize in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not a dumb question at all. If you're running a nice round tire like a Toyo MT, you won't need to balance them. Otherwise, you can always load them up in a truck, take them to just about any tire shop (well, maybe except Discount Tire) and have them balanced. I have found Les Swab will do them this way as will Costco. Some shops, you can just go in as is and they'll do them thinking they're simulated bead locks like so many people run today. Just make sure you ask for tape on weights to be used. They're what I'd recommend regardless of the wheel.

jeeeep

Hooked
the discount tire near me will balance but I also bought the tires from them.

A mentioned make sure they use stick-on weights. my wheels are pretty dirty from brake dust so I try to clean off the inner side so the weights will stick better beforehand.

Ddays

Hooked
I never did balance mine but after 10k miles or so I've developed a vibration around 75mph. Not really bad just irritating. You might be lucky & not need any.
I cannot find anyone over here that will do a road force balance. They either pull the "man those are beadlocks" card or say the tires are too big. Costco will do a standard spin balance on all 5 for $35. That's total for all 5.

Crystaliner

Thanks...Eddie. 37 trail grapplers Nitto

was told I shouldn't need to balance them. Just hard for me to believe since discount took 4hours to balance my KMC machetes (sp) fake beadlocks the first time.

Tech pumped them out in 20minutes said they were perfect. Started drive home and shaky steering wheel here we go. Weights went on and came off numerous times. Tires off of rims as well. After 3.5hours of actual labor another tech got it right.

Are beadlocks a true machined wheel or just another cast?

Sullivan

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471007697.407921.jpg
37" nittos on method beadlocks. No balancing needed. They rolled great down the road. Only tire I've had that didn't need balancing.
Had Goodyear MTR's before these. Good lord they were bad. Couldn't find enough weight to put on them.

swampdog

I just installed Method 105 beadlocks with 35" BFG K02s and have a vibration between 40-50 mph that I will need to get balanced. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471008404.923343.jpg

Sullivan

Ceramic beads. I had them so I threw 10lbs in each tire after about a month. Didn't change much, but I wasn't having an issue anyways. Just figured since I had them, why not

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks...Eddie. 37 trail grapplers Nitto

was told I shouldn't need to balance them. Just hard for me to believe since discount took 4hours to balance my KMC machetes (sp) fake beadlocks the first time.

Tech pumped them out in 20minutes said they were perfect. Started drive home and shaky steering wheel here we go. Weights went on and came off numerous times. Tires off of rims as well. After 3.5hours of actual labor another tech got it right.

Are beadlocks a true machined wheel or just another cast?

The problem is most likely your tires. I like Trail Grapplers but find they typically need balancing. Not sure why Discount had such a hard time with yours, could have just been the tire jockey working on it.

37" nittos on method beadlocks. No balancing needed. They rolled great down the road. Only tire I've had that didn't need balancing.
Had Goodyear MTR's before these. Good lord they were bad. Couldn't find enough weight to put on them.

Oh yeah, I can totally attest for MT/R's and how horrible they are to balance! Regarding Nittos, I find that they're hit and miss. My last set of Mud Grapplers didn't need any balancing and my last set of 40" Trail Grapplers didn't but all the 37's I've ran have.

Ceramic beads. I had them so I threw 10lbs in each tire after about a month. Didn't change much, but I wasn't having an issue anyways. Just figured since I had them, why not

Why not is because they clearly "didn't change much" for you and they really don't do anything to help.

Crystaliner

Correct....it was just the wrong guy. The second tech that jump on it ripped off all the weight and started from scratch. Don't get me wrong, I left completely happy.

Discount tire was great!!!!

FLKEYSJK

I've got 35" Toyo MT's with slabs and I've got a small vibration at about 65, still trying to decide if it's annoying enough to balance them.

LarryG

Not a dumb question at all. If you're running a nice round tire like a Toyo MT, you won't need to balance them. Otherwise, you can always load them up in a truck, take them to just about any tire shop (well, maybe except Discount Tire) and have them balanced. I have found Les Swab will do them this way as will Costco. Some shops, you can just go in as is and they'll do them thinking they're simulated bead locks like so many people run today. Just make sure you ask for tape on weights to be used. They're what I'd recommend regardless of the wheel.

Well Montana is a wonderful place to live, BUT.....there is not anyone who will touch beadlock wheels.....I really am perplexed as without the ability to spin balance....I am stuck on what to buy/do. Costco said no way, Les Schwab....uhnah.

Top Bottom