Close

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fresh Catch
    We own a 2016 an I'm glad that we didn't wait to get the next gen because as I do like the option of the diesel, I don't like the 8 speed automatic they are mentioning about.. Some may ask why an my reasoning is less moving parts less to brake.. Also a 2.0L turbo? I don't think that's very practical even if it does put out the horsepower it's just not something I see in a jeep..

The JT truck will be mine! With a diesel of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Fett21 View Post
    Don't know if you've seen this yet.

2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Official Dates, Engines/Transmissions and New Features

Thanks to a dealer source, here are the official dates and some confirmed features (so far) for the JL Wrangler.

July-August 2017: 2018 Wrangler Order Banks Open
    September 2017: 2018 Wrangler Production Begins
    September 1, 2017: 2018 Wrangler Press Launch
    Early 2018: 2018 Wrangler Pickup (JT) Production Begins
    Summer 2018: 2018 Model Year Production Ends

New Features (for North America):

New ZF 8 Speed Transmission
    2.0L "Hurricane" Turbo Engine (with new 850RE transmission) (visual confirmation)
    3.0L VM Diesel Engine (with new 8HP75 transmission)
    3.6L Pentastar V6 Upgraded Engine (with new 850RE transmission)
    New fourth-generation Uconnect 8.4" navigation system with Apple Carplay and Android Auto
    Interchangeable soft / hard top
    Power softtop
    True 3-piece hardtop
    Optional hardtop glass panel
    whoa...I've been out searching for deal but this looks interesting.

Soo excited to get confirmation of the diesel option. The 8 speed will be a great match to it as well.

As far as "more moving parts to break", you may want to research that. The 30 gears (15 with an overdrive unit) available to me in a Road Ranger trans haven't ever let me down. I guess it all comes down to preferences, but having an automatic does not make it feel "less jeep like". Certainly one less thing to worry about when climbing a 40 degree off camber rock face.

I highly doubt jeep will stop production on the stick shift. I feel like that would be a horrible move. I really hope they are not super amazing, because I want to wait at least 1 year before I buy one. I also hope they have a tad more head room.

Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I must say that I am a bit disappointed that there was no mention of a manual transmission. Rumor has had it that one may not be one available on the JL. Perhaps they'll just be keeping the existing NSG-370 6-speed.
    I'm disappointed too. I thought I saw spy photos of a test mule with a new 6 speed manual and got my hopes up. It had reverse on the opposite side (left and up, beside first). I'll see if I can find the article.

Even if they had a mule with a manual, it unfortunately doesn't mean that transmission made it to production. Considering about a quarter of Wranglers sold now have a manual that seems like it would be a huge oversight. There also aren't really any other comparable SUVs left that are offered in a manual, so they would be losing out on sales from people who would really want one.

Edit: Here's a link to the article. Not sure if anyone posted this yet.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-transmission/
    Last edited by Wardell; 08-20-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Fresh Catch

Good information

Nice to get the news on the new generation of Jeep Wrangler

Interesting info! Power soft top? I dunno. I guess they must have had enough requests to design it and build it. Probably not removable. I'll stay with the manual one!

I'm glad we are finally getting the truck. I can't wait to see it.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by 1TonCJ7 View Post
    We own a 2016 an I'm glad that we didn't wait to get the next gen because as I do like the option of the diesel, I don't like the 8 speed automatic they are mentioning about.. Some may ask why an my reasoning is less moving parts less to brake.. Also a 2.0L turbo? I don't think that's very practical even if it does put out the horsepower it's just not something I see in a jeep..
    I'm with you, and with all the problems that I've been reading about with the VM diesel in the Rams I'd want to wait a year or two on that option. My father and uncle taught me never to buy year one of any major model change, a lot of people post similar comments on these boards too.