Help With Engine Tick

hobbse66

Hey guys I could use some help trying to hunt down the gremlin causing my engine tick.

So a little back story first. I bought a 2008 JKU at the end of April and 8 days later hydrolocked the engine and bent a rod. My buddy and I were out dicking around on a dirt road late at night and decided to go through a rather large puddle/muddle hole. Apparently I hit it just right, and that was that. Fast forward 8 weeks and the jeeps got a new engine and a new clutch. Before I go to pick it up, the shop tells me that I need a new starter because its having issues starting, but it does run. Since I was tired of renting a car, I figured I could handle installing a new starter on my own. Got it in and nothing happens. After a few hours of poking around with a friend, it turns out that the ground strap from the battery to the engine block was ripped in half. We repaired that and she fired right up.

Right out the gate, the engine had a tick. My buddy and I noticed that the y pipe was cut in half and rewelded, so we sort of wrote off the tick as an exhaust leak from the shitty weld job the shop did. After closer inspection, we couldn't find a leak at the welds. Next I duct taped my shop vac to the exhaust and reversed the flow to see if I could find any other spots. Sure as shit all around the exhaust manifolds it was leaking. So I ripped into it, replaced the manifold bolts and gaskets and tightened everything down to spec. While working on the passenger side, I noticed that only 5 of 6 bolts were actually installed. Awesome.... I have looked up and down the exhaust system and can't find any leaks. I have checked all of the heat shields surrounding the engine/exhaust, and everything is tight. So I am fairly confident that I can rule out an exhaust leak.

The engine tick only happens when I accelerate (in gear and in neutral). It gets louder and faster the more gas I give it and lessens when I let off. I have listened to videos posted and its not the soft fast constant tick like its coming from the lifters. Nor does it sound like the "poof" of an exhaust leak. The sound seems to be coming from directly under me while I am driving or revving the engine.

Since I got a new clutch, could it be coming from that?

I am less than impressed with the shop, so I'd rather not take it back to them, even though they installed the engine. I stopped back a week or two after I got the jeep back and told them my engine had a tick. The shop owners response was "So? what do you want me to do about it?". I politely reminded that I had just given him $8500 for a new engine and he quickly back peddled. They hooked up the scanner and nothing popped up.

Any ideas or places to start looking?

I can post a video later if that would help.

WJCO

Meme King
Hey guys I could use some help trying to hunt down the gremlin causing my engine tick.

So a little back story first. I bought a 2008 JKU at the end of April and 8 days later hydrolocked the engine and bent a rod. My buddy and I were out dicking around on a dirt road late at night and decided to go through a rather large puddle/muddle hole. Apparently I hit it just right, and that was that. Fast forward 8 weeks and the jeeps got a new engine and a new clutch. Before I go to pick it up, the shop tells me that I need a new starter because its having issues starting, but it does run. Since I was tired of renting a car, I figured I could handle installing a new starter on my own. Got it in and nothing happens. After a few hours of poking around with a friend, it turns out that the ground strap from the battery to the engine block was ripped in half. We repaired that and she fired right up.

Right out the gate, the engine had a tick. My buddy and I noticed that the y pipe was cut in half and rewelded, so we sort of wrote off the tick as an exhaust leak from the shitty weld job the shop did. After closer inspection, we couldn't find a leak at the welds. Next I duct taped my shop vac to the exhaust and reversed the flow to see if I could find any other spots. Sure as shit all around the exhaust manifolds it was leaking. So I ripped into it, replaced the manifold bolts and gaskets and tightened everything down to spec. While working on the passenger side, I noticed that only 5 of 6 bolts were actually installed. Awesome.... I have looked up and down the exhaust system and can't find any leaks. I have checked all of the heat shields surrounding the engine/exhaust, and everything is tight. So I am fairly confident that I can rule out an exhaust leak.

The engine tick only happens when I accelerate (in gear and in neutral). It gets louder and faster the more gas I give it and lessens when I let off. I have listened to videos posted and its not the soft fast constant tick like its coming from the lifters. Nor does it sound like the "poof" of an exhaust leak. The sound seems to be coming from directly under me while I am driving or revving the engine.

Since I got a new clutch, could it be coming from that?

I am less than impressed with the shop, so I'd rather not take it back to them, even though they installed the engine. I stopped back a week or two after I got the jeep back and told them my engine had a tick. The shop owners response was "So? what do you want me to do about it?". I politely reminded that I had just given him $8500 for a new engine and he quickly back peddled. They hooked up the scanner and nothing popped up.

Any ideas or places to start looking?

I can post a video later if that would help.

Welcome to WAL. Please post a video. Does it sound exhaust related to you? Or does it sound like something else mechanical?

hobbse66

It doesn't sound like its exhaust related. I cannot find any leaks, cracks, extraneous sounds coming from any of the exhaust pipes. I guess I am assuming that its mechanical? I am no grease monkey by any means. This whole rip apart your jeep and figure out what's going on is new to me.

Modit

Considering the fact that the engine was replaced by someone with questionable abilities there could be many things causing the noise. Like that missing bolt could have fallen into an area that is hard to access so they didn't bother to retrieve it.
It could take a lot of digging to find the source. In order for anyone to help you diagnose the problem over the internet you are going to have to be VERY specific about the symptoms. Here are just a few examples:
Does rpm change the sound?
Does it happen at a specific rpm?
Does it happen under load?
Does it happen on accel and decel?
Does it happen with the clutch engaged, disengaged, both?
Does it happen in neutral?
Does it happen with the AC on or off?
You get the idea. There are many more.
Did you get a warranty with the new engine? If so, I'd tune the radio to your favorite station and crank up the volume until the tick goes away. If it's a major problem it will reveal itself before long.

Last edited:

hobbse66

Yeah I understand this is kind of like typing my symptoms into WebMD and expecting it to cure cancer. But I figure it's worth a shot to ask around before spending butt loads more cash for a shop to figure it out for me. As far as your questions go

Does rpm change the sound? Only if I am pressing down on the gas. Doesn't matter what gear I am in. The tick increases in frequency with more gas and decreases with less gas. The pitch of the tick does not change.

Does it happen at a specific rpm? Nope

Does it happen under load? Yes

Does it happen on accel and decel? Yes on accel. Decel yes but it slows down to just a slow tick like in the video where it was just idling.

Does it happen with the clutch engaged, disengaged, both? Both

Does it happen in neutral? Yep

Does it happen with the AC on or off? Doesn't matter. Happens on or off.

Thanks for your help Modit

Coop

Caught the Bug
Your description makes me think it's electrical on the spark side of the ignition. Loose connection or an abrasion of the wiring. Check with no light under the hood. Just takes a pin hole in the insulation. If they used the original harness, they may have pinched a wire.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
This is a stab in the dark but your description makes me think it's a bad oil pump. Tick could be a valve not getting enough oil. Just a guess.

hobbse66

How would I go about checking my oil pressure? Id assume that I would need to install a gauge? The instrument cluster only has an oil temp gauge if if I am not mistaken.

TRLJNKY

Man hobbs hate to say it but after listening to your vid it could have been my Jeep. The tick I hear sounds just like mine. I also have a slop type noise that comes from the engine at idle. Been that way for the last two years Ive owned mine

hobbse66

Yeah I noticed that yesterday. I was hoping that someone would reply to your thread with a quick easy fix. :) What MountainJK said about it possibly being my oil pump has me a little worried. I don't need to ruin another engine bc its not getting enough oil... If I go through 2 engines in less than 6 months my wife would never let me get another wheeling rig. If its nothing that will harm the engine, I don't have an issue leaving it. Its just super annoying and it drowns out my new Banks exhaust!

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Yeah I noticed that yesterday. I was hoping that someone would reply to your thread with a quick easy fix. :) What MountainJK said about it possibly being my oil pump has me a little worried. I don't need to ruin another engine bc its not getting enough oil... If I go through 2 engines in less than 6 months my wife would never let me get another wheeling rig. If its nothing that will harm the engine, I don't have an issue leaving it. Its just super annoying and it drowns out my new Banks exhaust!

I'm not trying to alarm you, it was just a guess. Have you had it plugged in and checked for codes? I believe the oil pressure code is P0520. When you hear little ticks or taps like that it could be a lot of things. Good luck.

Modit

You say you got a new engine. How much of it is new?
If it's all new (oil pan to intake), not rebuilt, I'd expect some warranty.

hobbse66

So I spoke with one of the mechanics at work and we discussed some of the possibilities. He asked if I push in the clutch does it still make noise? I said yes, so that would rule out anything from the clutch back. I mentioned something about the oil pump going out and he said that it could be, but I would be hearing a bit more of a grinding and knocking sound from the engine not getting any oil. He said since the sound is sort of linear, as in a consistent in and out, that it should be related to something that would make that movement, i.e up and down, side to side etc... He thinks that it could be a loose lifter or rocker. So my buddy and I will see if we can dig into it this weekend and check things out. Ill keep you guys posted with what we find out this weekend.

ob_tj

How far internal have you looked? My guess would be a lifter issue. With lifter problems they will make a ticking sound. I had the same sound on my chevy pick up and it was from the lifters

hobbse66

Haven't looked into it at all yet. I have read that the 3.8 lifters are noisy as it is but they shouldn't sound like what I've got going on. I hope it's a pretty easy fix

ob_tj

Haven't looked into it at all yet. I have read that the 3.8 lifters are noisy as it is but they shouldn't sound like what I've got going on. I hope it's a pretty easy fix

Yeah I would just have the lifters checked out. Just In case. The nosie you are hearing could also be coming from a rocker arm hitting the head cover

hobbse66

So I decided to take the Jeep back to the shop that installed the engine. They said they checked the whole exhaust system and looked everything over and couldn't find where the sound was coming from. I mentioned the rocker arm or maybe the lifters and they told me that they used a stethoscope to try to pinpoint it and couldn't hear it. So he said it'll have to get worse until they can figure out what's going wrong. I asked if it would be under warranty if something catastrophic happens, and he said yeah as long as it's getting proper oil changes and I don't drive it through another puddle. So I guess I'll ride it out until she blows!

Sorry this doesn't help anyone with the same issue [emoji30]

ScoobyCarolanNC

I've got a 3.8 with a similar tick, 87000 miles, but mines only when the engine is cold.

I'd run it for a while and see if it gets worse. Like you said the 3.8 is noisy. I'd be more worried about making things worse by messing with it.

Top Bottom