Dana 35 options

Pastor Scott

Have a few questions about my dana 35
yeah i know its a turd
but can I keep it...add G2 axles and a soft locker or e-locker ?
going with 33x10.50 tires

also the D35 has a factory trac lock...what are my options or issues with that ?
its a 98 Sahara
want to re gear to 4.56s

anyway what say you Jeep doctors out there

Ps Scott

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I don't see how your Dana 35 would be a problem with what your going to run for tire size and gearing. What kind of wheeling are you going to be doing?

Pastor Scott

mild rocks and mud

Plan to make her a trailer rig for only off road but nothing crazy..
rocks and mud but gentle on the slim pedal

LetsGoMuddin

I would be careful with a locked D35 if you are doing any hard wheeling. I'm looking for either a D44 or a Ford 8.8 to swap into my TJ.

ob_tj

A locked dana 35 is a ticking time bomb. In my opinion a dana 35 isn't worth putting any money into. I would have to agree with LetsGoMuddin, look into the ford 8.8. That's what I will be doing to my TJ here shortly.

Jk_nate

Waste of money. Keep it unlocked and don't spend any money on it until you can afford a better axle.

bwestfla

Dana 35 is fine. I built a super 35 with an e locker and it is plenty strong for 33's and can handle 35's. Anyone who says otherwise is parroting the internet. Heck, every axle can break. We have club members who break fully built d60's with 37's. I have seen plenty off 44's blow with 35's. All depends on how hard you wheel. Folks bouncing over rocks with their foot to the floor are going to break stuff full stop. Just trying to get through and using careful throttle control and prudent winch work usually don't break stuff.

thardy

Banned
Dana 35 is fine. I built a super 35 with an e locker and it is plenty strong for 33's and can handle 35's. Anyone who says otherwise is parroting the internet. Heck, every axle can break. We have club members who break fully built d60's with 37's. I have seen plenty off 44's blow with 35's. All depends on how hard you wheel. Folks bouncing over rocks with their foot to the floor are going to break stuff full stop. Just trying to get through and using careful throttle control and prudent winch work usually don't break stuff.

While driving style and type of wheeling does play a factor in how parts will hold up, I completely disagree on doing anything to a D35. When you can put a Ford 8.8 in for close to the same price as building a so-called "super" 35, it seems idiotic to waste the money on the 35.

Edit: Welcome to WAL

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do a google search and see how many pics like this you can find.

broken_axle_part_1.jpg

dana35tree2_zps9f864141.jpg

The problem with a Dana 35 isn't so much that it's weak per se, it's the fact that unlike a Dana 44 or 8.8, it uses c-clips.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I want to hang out with the dude using the tree to bring it back together. I bet he's got some stories....

Sent from my duck blind.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I would have to agree with the general concensus here, I have a 99 TJ that came with the d35 and a trac lok, 33's and I broke it twice. I am not a hard wheeler, I prefer to finesse my way over or around and still took out the spider gears twice. Picked up a factory 44 from a guy building a 14 bolt. Much happier and I think you will be better off finding an 8.8 or a 44 of some kind.

Last edited:

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
The thing about a Dana 35 is, yes you can add stronger axle shafts and truss kits, etc. However, at the end of the day your ring & pinion and side/spider gears are all still the same size...and in a 35, that's pretty small. I've blown up the side gears out of my Dana 35 once, and it's not fun. While I carry extra parts with me, it's still just nicer to replace it with something that won't break as quick/much.

Draconianwinter

If you talk to any one who has had them on a jeep, or had to work on them, they will all tell you not to even bother trying to do anything with a d35. They just don't hold up no matter what axles you put in them. The d30 is even a better option than trying to make the d35 stronger.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

The d30 is a front axle, I don't think it can be used in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I keep forgetting that the dana 35 was never used in a jeep wrangler as a front axle. they did however use it in many other brands as a front. I never had the d35 in the rear as before now I always had a cj7 with the amc 20 rear and d30 front.

bwestfla

Each person has to make their own decisions. I chose the super 35 route with an elocker. I am pushing mine with a 4.7 stroker. Have not ever had a second thought about going anywhere much bigger jeeps go. Only thing that has let go on my driveline is ujoints.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

holliewood61

Do a google search and see how many pics like this you can find.

View attachment 225308

View attachment 225307

The problem with a Dana 35 isn't so much that it's weak per se, it's the fact that unlike a Dana 44 or 8.8, it uses c-clips.
The 8.8 also uses c-clips. A c-clip eliminator kit is available for the 8.8 though. Even in c-clip form the 8.8 is a much more robust choosing than the dana 35. Also, it can easily be found with 4.10's, limited slip, and disc brakes.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom