Hit the Jackpot!

Shantz

Had the engine light and electrical light come on. Took it to the mechanic... looks like I need a catalytic converter and an ECU.

Can't get an aftermarket catalytic cause I'm in California, and probably have to go to the dealer for the computer which is around $1200.

When it rains it pours!

JeepJeep75

Dude that blows. I would expect the cat(s) to be about the same cost. The OEM only replacement bullshit in California really sucks!

Evil

If you have to pay for it I would search around on line. I will PM you a link to a guy I found while looking into a few electrical issues. Is it the ECU or the TIPM thats bad?

dillard09

That dont sound good. If it is your cat and ECU check the federal emissions warranty. It could be covered. It should cover both for 8 years or 80k miles. I had mine replaced for free by dealership due to a crack. Would be worth checking into.
Good luck!

ForumRunner_20160824_045352.png

DINKELROC

I shelled out $900 for the cats to the dealer in Long Beach, then had to do "the drive" to get the code to reset so I could pass smog.
Pain in the @$$!

JeepJeep75

That dont sound good. If it is your cat and ECU check the federal emissions warranty. It could be covered. It should cover both for 8 years or 80k miles. I had mine replaced for free by dealership due to a crack. Would be worth checking into.
Good luck!

View attachment 219301

This is great info. I recently sold my moms Caddilac SRX. It had a V8 with an engine light on and failing cats. Would've costed $3800 to replace with OEM. That's more than half the resale value. Luckily I found that they had a 10 year recall problem and replacement was free. It's F-ing nuts though that an engine light on can mean your car is totaled because it's not worth repairing it with a super pricey exhaust part.

dillard09

When I went in to the dealership about my Crack between the cats on passenger side they said no problem we can fix that. And then I asked about the federal emission warranty. The guy looked at me in shock and said ohh you know about that. They did a visual inspection of my exhaust crossover pipe to see if it had hit something and it had no marks on it. So they said no problem.
Don't think they were going to say anything about it.

Shantz

I'm well over the warranty millage... pushing 190,000 now. I've been looking online for ecu's... I found a company in FLA that sell refurb for $300. Doing a little more digging... it sounds too good to be true.

Shantz

So the preliminary results are in... looking like a wiring harness and a leak in the catalytic. They said they'll have a better idea of what it will need tomorrow.

jesse3638

Hooked
I hate the SMOG BS in CA. I went through the same issue on my Titan. There were CARB compliant headers but not stand alone CATS until about a year ago. Once they were I had an exhaust shop replace the OEM manifolds with JBA headers and new CATS for the same price (Parts and labor) as just the new OEM manifolds. It would have taken me 8-12 hours to do the replacing. Just did a quick search on the ARB Database seems there are some aftermarket CARB compliant CATs. Not sure if they are in production as there are a bunch listed for my Titan but only one manufacturer has them in production. May be worth digging around if it can save you some money.

California Air Resources Board

Shantz

I'm hoping that the wire harness is all it is... it threw a ton of codes. He said all the computers looked good... So at least that part is good.

Shantz

After a week at the dealership 1300 in labor, 800 in parts... the lights are off.

Throttle, Exhaust Manifold, Repaired Harness Connection, and a belt.

Before these repairs where done, last year I had it at the dealership to fix the cruise control and a long idle shut off. (after taking the key out of the ignition) First they told me I needed a new TIPM, then a new PCM. (I didn't think they really knew) I said screw it, I'm not going to pay $2000 for cruise control. (for a maybe)

After this diagnosis they said the computers were fine, and the work they are going to do will fix the cruise and knock out all the codes.

Jeep runs great, still no cruise, and still a long idle shut down.

That is the update... happy the Jeep is running fine :) ... pissed the cruise and shut down still aren't correct. :mad:

Top Bottom