35" BFG KO2 vs...

eazy

Here's my dilemma. I ordered a set of 35x12.5r17 BFG KO2s from Discount Tire for my JKU. I went down to my local Jeep shop to get a quote on the EVO lift. When I mentioned I ordered KO2s they warned me that they've had a lot of balancing issues lately with BFGs (requiring way too much weight when they dynamically balanced them). They said BFG field engineers came out to their shop and told them that they previously static balanced their tires and recently they switched to dynamic and lowered their threshold for rejects due to reported issues. The shop suggested I check the manufacture date. Mine were manufactured in May of this year, but I'm not sure if that puts me in the clear or not.

Discount Tire said they hadn't experienced these balancing issues, and if they required more than like 4oz they would send them back for me.

The Jeep shop suggested I look at the Micky Thompson Baja ATZ P3s. Discount Tire said they would order them if I wanted, but I'd have to pay about $30 more per tire. I do admit that the Micky Thompsons look cooler to me, and the KOs I have on my Ford Ranger vibrate at highway speeds.

I'm looking for a tire good for 90% street, 10% off-road, and good in heavy rain (I'm in FL). What do you guys think I should do?

WJCO

Meme King
I don't have any experience with the Mickey's but the bfg ATs are a great tire. I've never had any balancing issues and I've owned several sets.

vdog0531

I had them for almost 10k in 37's on my 13 jku with 90/10 street/off road driving in SoCal, and loved them. Direction of the jeep changed, and when it came time to pick a new smaller tire, the decision was made before the question even came up... I got the ko2s again. I had 2.5 X factor lift (light jeep, netted 3.25s inches in front with a winch and bumper (based on the 9 3/8's measurement in the spring bucket) and 3.75 inches in the back (no spare, soft top... Measured off of spring bucket and axle pad, like the front) and the smaller 37's worked perfectly with wheels with 4.5 back spacing and 2" bump stops all around with flat fenders. I then went to stock suspension with evo leveling kit with flat fenders, and went with the 35" ko2s and am happy I did. Reasons why I like them: very quiet, smooth (had them at 29 psi with both 37 and 35s), provided good traction when I was on the rocks in SoCal (for the wheelin I do) and I love the classic, but updated, look of the ko2. I have no experience with the mickeys though, so I suppose this was mostly for nothing....

FOSJ

I've had 35" KO2's for 10 months and 23k miles on my 2014 jkur. After one of my Tire rotations at DT I experienced a slight wobble. Went back to DT and they rebalanced. No problems since. Great tire, no excessive noise, great off road

Napalm

I had 35 inch KO2s on my last JKU with zero issues. Balanced fine, road great, performed even better! :) you won't regret them.

Journeyman

I'll just throw this out there. Could it be a possibility that the jeep shop is trying to get to return the bfg's and possibly order some Mickey thompson's from them to bump their sales. Makes me think about that, especially since the discount tire hasn't heard of this and is willing to back them up and take them back if needed.

Jk_nate

I've never heard a k02 owner complain once. I would listen to that more than some dumb dumb working at the jeep store.

8POUND

I have the 35" KO2s on my rig and they are great! Had them installed in the spring of last year. I do a 5 tire rotation every 4,000 miles. No issues having them balanced. No complaints here.

Jtvegas

Put 25k on my 35 inch ko2's with dynamic balance and zero issues. Very smooth. Amazed with on-off road performance. Another thing to consider is you may be able to go up to a 37" ko2 and have about the same weight as a 35" mud.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Sounds to me like the shop wants to make some money. I have owned BFGs for years and never had an issue with them. In fact, my wife and I are discussing possibly selling the KM2 s we have on the garage and getting the KO2s instead. I have yet to hear about any real world issues with them.

Tree Frog

Here is another vote for the KM2s. About 20,000 miles, rotated every 3000 and they are just fine.

Mud, snow, ice rain, and dry pavement up to 85.

Have always ran BFGs on everything. Never had a problem.

By the way Welcome to WAL :standing wave:

Zstairlessone

X2 on the Welcome!

No balancing issues with KO2s, smooth, quiet and great performing tire. Also, been buying from Discount/America's Tire for years and they do stand behind your purchase. I have also been treated very well in all their stores I've been in whether buying or just stopping in for a rotation. Once I put a 3/8" bolt into one of my brand new KM2s on the way home from buying a set of 5 and they swapped my spare on, put the bad tire and wheel off to the side. I got a call 2 days later when the new tire came in, went down and got it installed - no cost for the new tire or labor.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've had 37 ko2 since march 2015 no balancing issues.
Haven't heard about any balancing issues. Were they also trying to sell your tires?
I put a lot of miles on mine and they're wearing even and balancing fine still. I'm getting a little more road noise on certain road surfaces. I'm thinking I have at least 30,000 miles on them

eazy

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to stick with the BFGs. Now if only FedEx would deliver my EVO lift...

Top Bottom