Ko2 issues

toxicwaste29

Just putting this out there for other to look for. I have roughly 10,000 miles on my ko2's. I 5 tire rotated them every oil change and have only been on one off road trip so far with them. My lugs are starting to loose chunks on one of my tires. They are all the same row of lugs also so I'm sure it's an issue with the tire specially since none of the other ones are having any issues. I have to contact where I bought them yet to see if they can do anything about it. I looked at bfg website for warranty info and it just says to contact the place you bought them and if there are issues call bfg while standing there. Seems like a bs warranty to me. But anyways here are some pictures.

Ps every picture is of a different area of the tire

Attachments

• 1472569220585.jpg
    1472569220585.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 422
  • 1472569232359.jpg
    1472569232359.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 419
  • 1472569241610.jpg
    1472569241610.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 424

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it's just happening to the one tire, could very well be a bad one in the batch. I definitely would go back to where you bought it from and ask them what they can do for you. I know that Toyo has a 65,000 mile warranty on their A/T II's, maybe BFG will have something like that too.

ob_tj

I don't have the newer KO2S but I do have the original KOs and after the first time I wheeled on them they chunked out like that. I had asked people at tire shops and they said the KOs will do that.

toxicwaste29

Called the company I got them from. Bfg told them I have to send the entire back dismounted from the rim. Its free of charge however it needs sent all the way to bfg themselves in California for them to inspect it. They will then decide if it is caused from a road hazard or off road related issue. I asked a time line and they said 50-60 days. I'm sending it in anyways however I'll be without a spare for a couple months so hopefully nothing happens

Draconianwinter

I had that problem with the last set I bought of those style treads from bfg. Back then they were called the Baja. That tad design seems to not hold will to sharp rocks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Called the company I got them from. Bfg told them I have to send the entire back dismounted from the rim. Its free of charge however it needs sent all the way to bfg themselves in California for them to inspect it. They will then decide if it is caused from a road hazard or off road related issue. I asked a time line and they said 50-60 days. I'm sending it in anyways however I'll be without a spare for a couple months so hopefully nothing happens

And, what happens if they determine that it's NOT a safty concern?

OJK12

50-60 days? That's stupid! What if you didn't have a spare? Surely they could find a better way!

toxicwaste29

I guess they would send it back. They are sending a packing with info for me to fill out along with a shipping label if I decide to do so.

I haven't counted all the lugs but at least five are damaged. I couldn't say if it happened on the single trip or just over time. I was exciting the Jeep the other day and noticed them.

I know. It seems absurd to me that it will take that long to pretty much just look at it and tell. They said bfg wouldn't accept pictures. I will probably try tracking down a phone number for bfg tomorrow to verify everything on their end.

Tree Frog

I will bet the tire spun a little bit while on some kind of sharp rock or ledge.
Damage looks like a little jagged point came up and caught the lug. Same sort of little chunk taken out of the same place as the tire was rotating.

Very common on mud tires that see a lot of rocks with spinning involved.

If not rock damage then possibly something hiding in a mud pit. Again spinning tire caught by some little sharp object.

For all the trouble you will have to go through, only to possibly be told the same thing I would just just not worry about it and run it. Rebalance if you notice a vibration.
If you wheel much you will more than likely see more of the same thing.

Buddy/ Coworker has these on his rig and he has put a lot of miles on them. So far he loves them, holding up great. No damage like you have. Either way good luck.

toxicwaste29

Called bfg. They said I can take it to any local authorized dealer or any shop that is willing to assist me and they will inspect the tire and call bfg tomorrow with their findings. I will then be made an offer I have 14 days to accept. So I have no idea why the online company said I had to mail it back and wait 50-60 days

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I don't have the newer KO2S but I do have the original KOs and after the first time I wheeled on them they chunked out like that. I had asked people at tire shops and they said the KOs will do that.

Same here my last set of tires were the KOs and I had the same problem they get chewed up pretty easy maybe because it's a harder rubber composite.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have more than 10k miles on mine, and have not noticed anything like that. I do 5 tire rotation.

I thought KO2's new compound is supposed to stop that kind of chunking and seeing that it's only on 1 tire.

It's these type of things I like buying from Discount, hand them the certificate and get a new tire.

Tree Frog

Do you think Discount would give you a new tire for just a few small chunks missing?

I dont know, not messing with you Jeeep just curious. :idontknow:
If they would that is one hell of a warranty and Discount is where I am buying my next tires.

USMC Wrangler

Do you think Discount would give you a new tire for just a few small chunks missing?

If they would that is one hell of a warranty and Discount is where I am buying my next tires.

My situation is different, but my recent experience with Discount was outstanding. The last tire they warrantied had a clear sidewall impact with a cut about 1-2" long. No air loss but I simply told them I felt like it could lead to a blowout. The manager agreed immediately and ordered a replacement. I didn't demand anything or rant and rave. A reasonable response to a reasonable question.

Getting to the point...you won't know until you ask. DT has always been great in my book.

jeeeep

Hooked

I've had them replace BFG KO 315 when it begin wearing worse than the others and I was taking in to them for regular rotations. I paid the certificate fee no issues.
They have all my business after they did that, and they were the ones that made the suggestion. :thumb:

tallguy26

Caught the Bug
I love the DT certificate. You can also buy it for tires that you didn't buy from them. As long as it's a brand they carry. Got on my nitto nt555 for my mustang.

Drunic

I have 20k miles on mine , no issues like that. They are all wearing pretty even but the terrain here is small rocks and dirt, not too sharp to cause that.

Breer

Caught the Bug
Old thread but I have 4,000 miles roughly on my KO2's and I noticed this. I will see about getting it replaced but can anyone offer an opinion on whether there is a safety issue here?

IMG_20171013_184804.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bear_JT

Hooked
I don’t think there is a safety concern there. It looks like the carcass is in tact, and just the tread has chunked. Were you on rocks or spun on loose terrain?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom