Wanted: Broken Clock Springs

Frydaddy

There is a recall to replace clock springs due to dust in the contacts. Cleaning them fixes this but of course it's not easy to get into the unit, so the whole thing gets replaced. And to top it off, the recall does not cover 2010-2016 Left Hand Drive JKs, but they are still breaking none the less. I intend to find out what's going on.

I am looking for a late model, (2007+) used or broken steering wheel clock spring to practice on before I fix mine. I have a 2013 LHD JKUS, but I have a sneaking suspicion any late model unit will fit. Price negotiable including shipping. Bonus points for 2013+ units.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I have an '09. My first one got tangled up and ripped. I have not replaced the second one yet since Im out of the country, but it is bad too. The wire ribbon is too fragile to solder together and the plastic surrounding it is not designed to come apart for repair. You're better off just buying a new one. At least with that you'll get MOPAR's one year (might be two, don't remember off the top of my heard) parts warranty, even if you swap it yourself.

Frydaddy

Tony, Its a real shame what they are doing to us tinkerers. The older ones come right apart, while the newer ones are sealed tight, probably to keep out dust, but we all see how that turned out. It doesn't help that they want over $300 for this piece of crap.

All the same, Ill take anything, if only for the practice and spare parts. I hope to make an article showing the differences and what can be done, aside from bending over and taking it in the wallet.

Top Bottom