Spidertrax Wheel Spacers Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
main.php

If you want to run bigger and wider tires on your Jeep JK Wrangler, you really need to do one of two things. One, buy a set of new wheels with less back spacing or two, install a set of high quality wheel spacers which will effectively reduce the 6.25″ of back spacing that your factory wheels have. Of course, if you are someone who really likes the look of factory wheels and would prefer to keep them or, if you’re on a budget and are trying to build up your JK as economically as possible, installing a set of Spidertrax wheel spacers is the answer for you.Made out of 6061 T6 and anodized blue aluminum for corrosion resistance, Spidertrax wheel spacers are designed to be wheel and hub centric and come with pre-installed wheel studs, lugnuts and Red Loctite. Basically, everything you need for proper installation. And, the best part is, they are very affordable and very easy to install.

What you will need
• 19mm Socket
• Ratchet
• 3″ Ratchet Extension
• Ft. Lb. Torque Wrench
• Large Flathead Screwdriver
• Small Flathead Screwdriver
• Needlenose Pliers
• Floor Jack

What you will get
(4) Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
(20) Lug Nuts
(2) Bottles of Loc-tite

Instructions
Here is a shot of everything you will get with your new Spidertrax wheel spacers. Make sure that you have 20 lug nuts and red loc-tite before you start this installation.
main.php

1. Loosen but do not remove the lug nuts on your Jeep JK Wrangler’s front wheels using a 19mm socket or lug wrench. Then, using a floor jack, raise the wheel you will be working on from the axle until it is off the ground and remove it.
main.php

2. If this is the very first time you’ve pulled off your Jeep JK Wrangler’s wheels, you will find a set of assembly washers attached to the wheel studs securing the rotor onto the axle. Use a small flathead screwdriver or needlenose pliers to pull up the tabs in the center of the washers as shown in this pic.
main.php

3. With the tabs on the assembly washers pulled up, you should be able to thread them off your Jeep JK Wrangler’s wheel studs with ease. Make sure that ALL the assembly washers have been removed before proceeding.
main.php

4. Install one of your new Spidertrax wheel spacers onto your Jeep JK Wrangler’s axle.
main.php

5. Apply a dab of red loc-tite to the inside threads on each of the 5 lug nuts that you will be using for the installation of your Spidertrax wheel spacer.
main.php

6. Making sure that the tappered end of the lug nuts are pointing towards the countersunk holes, secure your Spidertrax wheel spacer in place using a 19mm socket and making sure to slowly tighten the nuts in a 5 point star pattern.
main.php

7. If you have a friend handy, you can have them step on the brakes to keep the axle from spinning. Or, if you don’t have help handy, slide a long flat head screwdriver through the top of you rotor to hold it in place as shown in this pic. Then, using a 19mm socket, tighten all 5 lug nuts in a star pattern to 95 ft. lbs. of torque.
main.php

8. Install your new wheel and larger tire onto your Spidertrax wheel spacer and secure it in place using the factory lug nuts. Using a 19mm socket, tighten these nuts to 95 ft. lbs. of torque.
main.php

9. Installing Spidertrax wheel spacers on your rear axle is done pretty much the same way only easier. For one, you can raise up your axle from the differential effectively lifting both wheels at the same time and, you can put your transmission in gear and apply your hand brake to keep the axle from spinning.
main.php

10. After 100 miles of use, it is important to check the torque on all your wheel spacer lug nuts to make sure that none of them have come loose. You do not want to over torque the nuts and break the loc-tite - just make sure they do not move when tightened to the same torque setting. Also, I would recommend that you at least do a visual inspection of them at every tire rotation which, if you are now running big off road tires, should be about once every 3,000 miles.

Are wheel spacers safe to use?
Are wheel spacers dangerous to use or cause unusual stress to your axle? High quality wheel spacers like the kind that Spidertrax makes (bolts up to your axle) are no more dangerous or cause any more stress to your axles then would a wheel with less backspacing. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise doesn’t know what they’re talking about and I have yet to hear a single good or specific explanation as to exactly how they are worse. Just to be clear, the thin cheap spacers (the kind that you can get at Pep Boys and are sandwiched between your wheel and axle using the existing wheel studs) are in fact EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and should not be used.

As is the case with any modification you make, it is your responsibility to inspect and maintain the components on your Jeep and on a regular basis.

Trembley

Great write up, I put some spidertrax 1.75" spacers on yesterday, greatly improved the look with those stock S-RA's lol...I'm anticipating some 35's soon!

ALRydr

One of the reasons I love this forum...good, useful, relevant information for Jeep owners!! Thanks Eddie!!!

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Nice write up Eddie, do you have any suggestions for a good brand of torque wrench?

Another question I have is about the red lock tight. That stuff is like super glue. Will someone ever need to take the spacers out? I swear by the blue lock tight for screws and bolts that I may need to remove at sometime but I've had a few bad experiences with the red when it came to removing parts I used the red lock tight on... just curious how hard it would be to remove them if you needed to?

I know you sure don't want those lug nuts to back off at all!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice write up Eddie, do you have any suggestions for a good brand of torque wrench?

The more you pay, the better the quality torque wrench you will get. Snap-on makes some of the nicest I have seen but, a good Craftsman will do the job well too. Having said that, when we're talking about Jeep bolts, we're talking a lot of torque and if you're off by a couple of lbs., I think you'd be okay. Having said that, I would recommend that you use a cheap $20 Harbor Freight torque wrench than no torque wrench at all. In fact, it's what I carry with me on the trail. You just want to make sure you get one that goes up to 150 ft. lbs. and is a 1/2" drive.

Another question I have is about the red lock tight. That stuff is like super glue. Will someone ever need to take the spacers out? I swear by the blue lock tight for screws and bolts that I may need to remove at sometime but I've had a few bad experiences with the red when it came to removing parts I used the red lock tight on... just curious how hard it would be to remove them if you needed to?

I know you sure don't want those lug nuts to back off at all!

The trick to red loc-tite is not apply too much. You really just need a drop for most applications. Being that we're working with 1/2" studs, I can assure you that you will not have an issue with removing the nuts at a later date so long as you don't go crazy with the loc-tite. Trust me, I've run spacers on most of my Jeeps and have never had an issue.

j.house013

Painted my wheels the first week I had my JK and I LOVE the looks. Now with the 2.5 lift and 33s its a bit narrow. U know what they say.... If ya go up, ya gotta go out! Awesome write-up! Spidertrax here I come!

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
The more you pay, the better the quality torque wrench you will get. Snap-on makes some of the nicest I have seen but, a good Craftsman will do the job well too. Having said that, when we're talking about Jeep bolts, we're talking a lot of torque and if you're off by a couple of lbs., I think you'd be okay. Having said that, I would recommend that you use a cheap $20 Harbor Freight torque wrench than no torque wrench at all. In fact, it's what I carry with me on the trail. You just want to make sure you get one that goes up to 150 ft. lbs. and is a 1/2" drive.

The trick to red loc-tite is not apply too much. You really just need a drop for most applications. Being that we're working with 1/2" studs, I can assure you that you will not have an issue with removing the nuts at a later date so long as you don't go crazy with the loc-tite. Trust me, I've run spacers on most of my Jeeps and have never had an issue.

Thank Eddie!

MikeD

I pretty much fit your description to a T. Love the look of the stock wheels and on a pretty sad budget haha! Very happy with my Spidertrax spacers. Budget for the build was roughly 2g, as business gets better so will th build.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130112_152348.png
    ForumRunner_20130112_152348.png
    370.1 KB · Views: 794
  • ForumRunner_20130112_152435.png
    ForumRunner_20130112_152435.png
    452.4 KB · Views: 790

JK1

95foot pounds seems a little low..:idontknow: i have been putting mine at 110 :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
95foot pounds seems a little low..:idontknow: i have been putting mine at 110 :thinking:

Factory specs are 85-125 ft. lbs. of torque. 95 is right in there and so is your 110. I've never had a problem with 95 on any of my Jeeps over years. :)

njh0603

Best price

Nice write up. Thanks I love my factory wheels so the recommendation of Spidertrax is appreciated. Any idea of who has them at the best price?

njh0603

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1358029725.310397.jpg
For those of you looking for a torque wrench. I will recommend this digital adapter that connects to your standard socket wrench and includes adapters to accommodate 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive. A harbor freight find made by Pittsburg ~ think it was like $30.

Pentastar

This pic should give you an idea of what it'll look like.

35x12.50 tires on factory wheels and 1.5" wheel spacers.

Thanks, here in Australia the tyres aren't allowed out of the guards so don't want it to be too obvious but that doesn't look like it sticks out so far that its instantly noticable.

Top Bottom