What's in your Jeep tool kit?

Eugene

Pretty decent prices! I recently heard that Costco has a 30/50MM combo set of metal ammo cans for 19.95. I'm not sure if they're any good though.

True story. I remember seeing them in Costco but it was probably a couple months ago

I just happened upon them while searching. I'm not sure if they are any good compared to ones from a surplus store. I don't live from quadratec so I might run out there and check out the quality.

I bought two of the Costco combo sets with the 7.62mm and a .50 cal ammo cans. Quality can be subjective but I think they're great (brand new, good seals, etc.), especially for the price. A couple of the 40mm cans from Quadratec are on the way to complete the set of calibers. :yup:

I'll figure out what to put in them later.

WJCO

Meme King
Just got a cordless Dremel for my setup. I've been wanting one for awhile.

Attachments

• 0928161601.jpg
    0928161601.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 371

WJCO

Meme King
Awesome! How does it compare to the corded? I couldn't live without a Dremel; I didn't even know they made a cordless...

I just got it a few hours ago and charged the batteries. Haven't used it yet. It seems like it spins and sounds like the corded. I'll post back.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
So, one thing no one's mentioned yet is using a food saver vacuum sealer to either waterproof certain items or keep greasy items from making a mess all over your toolbox.

Take a replacement brake line, all the washers and nuts, toss then in a bag and seal them all together. Keeps it safe and dry and all the little pieces stay together with the brake line. You could do the same for u-joints pre-greased, fluids, etc. Probably anything you'll rarely use, but wouldn't need to seal back up on the trail if you have to break open the bag.

Also, we've probably all seen those big vacuum sealer bags for sale on tv. The ones you can shove a huge blanket in and vacuum out the air. If you carry any tarps or ground coverings or even maybe a sleeping bag, throw it in there and it'll take up a fraction of the space and keep it dry.

:thumb:

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I actually did this for a clean up kit.
I threw oil absorbent into one of these bags, then threw in a 55 gallon trash bag, oil absorbing sheets and plastic gloves into another.
:beer:

IMG_20160930_124124375_zpsobxxxygt.jpg

So, one thing no one's mentioned yet is using a food saver vacuum sealer to either waterproof certain items or keep greasy items from making a mess all over your toolbox.

Take a replacement brake line, all the washers and nuts, toss then in a bag and seal them all together. Keeps it safe and dry and all the little pieces stay together with the brake line. You could do the same for u-joints pre-greased, fluids, etc. Probably anything you'll rarely use, but wouldn't need to seal back up on the trail if you have to break open the bag.

Also, we've probably all seen those big vacuum sealer bags for sale on tv. The ones you can shove a huge blanket in and vacuum out the air. If you carry any tarps or ground coverings or even maybe a sleeping bag, throw it in there and it'll take up a fraction of the space and keep it dry.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I actually did this for a clean up kit.
I threw oil absorbent into one of these bags, then threw in a 55 gallon trash bag, oil absorbing sheets and plastic gloves into another.
:beer:

Great minds think alike! Thanks for posting up a picture of that :rock:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

What do you do with your sleeping bag on the way back? Do you bring the vacuum saver with you?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
So whats the consensus on stowing gear? Are Action packers the way to go?

I have two of the smaller ones since I have the tuffy deck lid. I like them. I had a big one before I got the deck lid and liked that too. It was just too heavy with all my crap in it, so if I needed to remove it and was alone I would have to empty it to get it out.

Eugene

Costco 7.62, .50, and Quadratec 40mm...

Ammo_can_comparison_zps2u1n92lz.jpg

40mm can with recovery strap, shackles, damper, compact shovel, chem lights, gloves, and room to spare.

40mmRecovery_zpszqqwgd8x.jpg

I have two of the smaller ones since I have the tuffy deck lid. I like them. I had a big one before I got the deck lid and liked that too. It was just too heavy with all my crap in it, so if I needed to remove it and was alone I would have to empty it to get it out.
Any clue what quart size the ones youve got are? Id like to try and use two smaller ones vs a big one in case i did a deck or shelf.

Top Bottom