New Evo Mfg pro series hinged gate

J

JKDream

Can a thief simply remove the two bolts used as hinge pins and leave with your tailgate and spare?

It would still be latched closed on the drivers side - and held onto the Jeep with the swing arm on the passenger side.
Honestly - it's pretty far fetched, and if someone would go to that determination to try and take a spare AND tailgate, you wouldn't be safe with any other carrier anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

any4xx

It would still be latched closed on the drivers side - and held onto the Jeep with the swing arm on the passenger side.
Honestly - it's pretty far fetched, and if someone would go to that determination to try and take a spare AND tailgate, you wouldn't be safe with any other carrier anyway.

I agree that it's unlikely. I've had my spare stolen already so I look a bit more closely at these things. I'm wondering though if the hinges can't be modified with pins on the inner surface of the moveable part to engage the fixed mounts so that they can't be pulled free unless the gate is partially open.

Certainly there's no way to stop a thief, but slowing them down or forcing them to abandon Plan-A is always on my mind.

J

JKDream

I agree that it's unlikely. I've had my spare stolen already so I look a bit more closely at these things. I'm wondering though if the hinges can't be modified with pins on the inner surface of the moveable part to engage the fixed mounts so that they can't be pulled free unless the gate is partially open.

Certainly there's no way to stop a thief, but slowing them down or forcing them to abandon Plan-A is always on my mind.

What I'm getting as is - even if you did manage to move the hinge pins to somewhere they couldn't be removed, you could still unbolt the carrier from the tailgate itself.
Which would just result in someone swinging the carrier away from the body and unbolting the spare from the W mount.
Again - very unlikey, and I think a simple wheel lock stud would deter most thiefs as it does for most sets of tires.

tgoss

Holy hell. I wonder how some of you sleep at night.... seriously if someone wants your tailgate and tire badly enough to try and make away with what I would gather 250+ pounds of tire/wheel/carrier/gate they might as well just steal your jeep entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

boardsurfer

Anything is possible. It's just a matter of whether it is worth worrying about. I could get away with all 4 of your fender flairs quicker than the entire tailgate/carrier/spare tire. If you're really worried about something walking away, I would consider some sort of bike lock/cable to keep the spare tire on the carrier, but that's about as far as I would take it.

Let's suppose for a moment that someone has the right tools to get the hinge pins out - a couple large crescent wrenches and a hammer at minimum. The arm on the interior passenger side is still attached and there is no way the gate is coming out far enough to provide access to remove that, and that's assuming they have the right tool for that job in the first place. They wont be able to reach it. I wouldnt even know where to begin getting the latch on the driver side to open up.

bigcale

Caught the Bug

I have seen a fair amount of cable locks on spares for Jeeps and FJ Cruisers around here, pretty sure that should do. But there are some parts of CA that I just would not park long enough for that to happen.

Resqnu

One of the things that interest me the most is the EVO hinge and main tire support seem to be 1 piece, with the adjustable tire holder mounting to the 1 piece hinge/tire mount..see pic below.

evo-tire-carrier-evo-1162.jpg

Vs Rugged Ridge and other like styles have a separate hinge and tire support. The tire support bolts to the hinge with 2 bolts and gate with 2 bolts...see pic below

228306.jpg

Anyone else having any issues with the EVO? Are there any optional pieces to mount to the EVO to carry gas?
Will a 35" tire mounted on a 17x9 wheel with 4.5" backspacing mount snug against the EVO carrier?

tdougherty81

Anyone else having any issues with the EVO? Are there any optional pieces to mount to the EVO to carry gas?

I have absolutely no issues. I used the hilift jack mount I already had and made it work. I'll probably swap it for the EVO one that works with it.

20170210_142806.jpeg

EVO-1163 Gas Can Holder
EVO-1120 Jack Mount

Screenshot_20170217-194309.jpg

any4xx

Holy hell. I wonder how some of you sleep at night.... seriously if someone wants your tailgate and tire badly enough to try and make away with what I would gather 250+ pounds of tire/wheel/carrier/gate they might as well just steal your jeep entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you for the life advice. I'll put it out of my mind now.

Jimmypaget

Thanks, Does the EVO come with a new door catch and bracket as seen in your attachment?

It comes with the mounting bracket that bolts to the door, does not come with the arm, you have to use the factory one. I didn't even use their bracket, the factory one works fine. It's a good product, although it disappears behind a 37" tire.

Jimmypaget

I've had mine a few months.
  • I didn't have the same install issues tgoss did with the bottom bolts; mine threaded on ok.
  • I must have gotten lucky with my hinge assemblies fitting together. No issues there either.
  • No rattles (yet), but I have wheels with 4-5/8" back spacing, so I can put a bit of pressure on the structure and gate. I don't drive the Jeep much in the winter because of salt so too early to really tell. Probably ~500 miles so far.
  • The gate opens like butter. You would never guess there is a 135 lb tire/wheel on there.
  • I wish they would have thought out the antenna mount better. You do need a special angle mount to get the wire to clear, which I don't have yet.
  • We will see how well the paint holds up. I haven't had much luck with paint from aftermarket suppliers lasting very long (including EVO). I was told these were primed prior to painting so maybe they will be fine.
  • I did not change the interior hinge stop bracket. It seems to work well enough with the OEM bracket still on there.

All in I'm very satisfied.

Dave

Sounds about the same for myself. Did have to lightly use a mallet to get the hinge pin bolts in, the damn packaging sucked though. Item arrived with scratches and scrapes all over it and the damn peanuts were everywhere in my living room. I haven't noticed any new rattles or sounds coming from the carrier or tailgate yet, the antenna mount was a little tricky but came through and mounted like it should. I also chose not to use their hinge stop bracket, seems to be a nonissue.

JoeB-JKURX

Two issues I see with the EVO design (and most other body mount carriers - and some frame mount carriers):

1. No matter how tight you make the bolt holding the tire/wheel bracket, it will still eventually slip in the slot (friction is not enough to overcome the effects of off-road and on-road vibration). Maybe consider a series of overlapping drilled holes with enough material protruding into the "slot" to provide a positive stop at multiple locations.

2. The most rattle/vibration-free compressive material in the system is the tire itself. With most of the body-mount tire carriers, whatever support there is within the carrier is on the hinge side of the carrier, requiring a separate compressible stop on the trailgate to support the driver-side of the tire/wheel. May consider extending the carrier far enough on the driver side so the tire can compress against it.

With this configuration, you locate the bolt holding the tire/wheel bracket in one of the holes that will only allow the lug nuts to be finger tightened such that the wheel is within approximately 1/2" of the bracket mounting surface. With both sides of the tire contacting the tire carrier, you tighten the lugs until they snug the wheel to the mounting surface (the tire is compressed about 1/2" against the spare tire carrier). In this scenario, the relationship between the tire/wheel and carrier doesn't change as the tailgate opens and closes (as it must with a door mounted stop since the hinge points of the carrier and door are different).

aermotor

Two issues I see with the EVO design (and most other body mount carriers - and some frame mount carriers):

1. No matter how tight you make the bolt holding the tire/wheel bracket, it will still eventually slip in the slot (friction is not enough to overcome the effects of off-road and on-road vibration). Maybe consider a series of overlapping drilled holes with enough material protruding into the "slot" to provide a positive stop at multiple locations.

2. The most rattle/vibration-free compressive material in the system is the tire itself. With most of the body-mount tire carriers, whatever support there is within the carrier is on the hinge side of the carrier, requiring a separate compressible stop on the trailgate to support the driver-side of the tire/wheel. May consider extending the carrier far enough on the driver side so the tire can compress against it.

With this configuration, you locate the bolt holding the tire/wheel bracket in one of the holes that will only allow the lug nuts to be finger tightened such that the wheel is within approximately 1/2" of the bracket mounting surface. With both sides of the tire contacting the tire carrier, you tighten the lugs until they snug the wheel to the mounting surface (the tire is compressed about 1/2" against the spare tire carrier). In this scenario, the relationship between the tire/wheel and carrier doesn't change as the tailgate opens and closes (as it must with a door mounted stop since the hinge points of the carrier and door are different).

:thinking:

Adamdrubicon

I'm looking at this carrier. How do you guys compare it to the teraflex? I'm worried about all the problems you guys are having mounting them and coming with the wrong hardware.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm looking at this carrier. How do you guys compare it to the teraflex? I'm worried about all the problems you guys are having mounting them and coming with the wrong hardware.

No experience with either, but likely EVO uses good US steel whereas Teraflex uses whatever the Chinese kid has at the time for the right price.

zimm

Caught the Bug

Oh yeah, another teraflex tire carrier thread! :pop2:

I did buy that POS. The hinge itself was very nice and mounted fine. The tire carrier is a piece of round metal that slides over another round tube of metal. Then there's 2 pinch bolts that pinch it together. Total crap and the washers crushed and split before I could get the carrier tight enough. I took the whole thing off and sold it the same day. Now I run a bumper mounted carrier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom