New Evo Mfg pro series hinged gate

tdougherty81

I havent seen anyone receiving theirs yet, but I got mine in today. Here are some first impressions. The attachment wont let me put them in order so you'll just get this big pile of pictures. There are some shots of the welds, the integrated antenna mount (nice touch!) and general shots. If this thing fails or cracks in any way I would be shocked. Note that there are 3 slots for bolting on the actual tire carrier piece as opposed two slots on the Crawler Concepts. I'm sure the CC piece is plenty strong but that bit is what was holding me back.
There are welds everywhere. Absolutely solid.

Shipping weight is 48lbs but it sure feels like a lot more. I'll put it on this weekend and report back if anyone is interested.

http://imgur.com/vo30JYb
Looks good and I will be going this route soon.

Sent from my SM-N920T using WAYALIFE mobile app

bigcale

Caught the Bug
I like this very much, might be a good set up. I do wonder about the antenna mount. Is there enough room for a standard cable mount or will it need a 90 degree elbow.

Growlz

Note that there are 3 slots for bolting on the actual tire carrier piece as opposed two slots on the Crawler Concepts. I'm sure the CC piece is plenty strong but that bit is what was holding me back.

This was also my concern with the CC carrier. I'm sure it's strong, but I like this design better. I'm glad I held off ordering the Crawler Concept carrier.

Jackal01

That feature alone would persuade me to buy EVO. I am not sure why CC didn't think to do a similar design but from the moment I saw the tire mounted on my CC carrier I could kinda of tell that is the weak spot in the entire carrier. Maybe I'll buy this one later.

mojave5

This was also my concern with the CC carrier. I'm sure it's strong, but I like this design better. I'm glad I held off ordering the Crawler Concept carrier.

That feature alone would persuade me to buy EVO. I am not sure why CC didn't think to do a similar design but from the moment I saw the tire mounted on my CC carrier I could kinda of tell that is the weak spot in the entire carrier. Maybe I'll buy this one later.

I'm running the CC tire carrier with 37x13.5 mud grapplers and KMC XD addict wheel and there was a video of a guy sitting on his without issue. So i tried it for shits and giggles to see if it would hold and had no issues at all.

If you look at the CC you'll notice that it's using the 2 bolts on purpose so it can tilt up if you come down on the tire hard.

All that being said... I'm really in love with the EVO one and expect it to be even stronger!

Skid_Kid

Any reason EVO doesn't recommend over a 37 on this carrier?

Probably cause that is what they tested it at and know that is what the carrier, door and hinges can handle. Any reason General Mills doesn't recommend beer in their cereal?

Jackal01

I'm running the CC tire carrier with 37x13.5 mud grapplers and KMC XD addict wheel and there was a video of a guy sitting on his without issue. So i tried it for shits and giggles to see if it would hold and had no issues at all.

If you look at the CC you'll notice that it's using the 2 bolts on purpose so it can tilt up if you come down on the tire hard.

All that being said... I'm really in love with the EVO one and expect it to be even stronger!
Good to know. Does your spare appear to lean ever so slightly downward? I can't tell if it's an optical illusion or not.

mojave5

Good to know. Does your spare appear to lean ever so slightly downward? I can't tell if it's an optical illusion or not.

Did at first. Just had to adjust the mount to pull the tire in tight to the carrier.

Measure the distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the outside tread and then adjust the mounting plate on the carrier to be the same.

MOOK

Probably cause that is what they tested it at and know that is what the carrier, door and hinges can handle. Any reason General Mills doesn't recommend beer in their cereal?

So my previous Toyo 40x1350 w/ trail ready bead locks weighing in at 141lbs each would be asking way to much over my other previous toyo 37x1350 w/ atx slabs weighing 136lbs... 5lbs is the kill point here?

I assume all 37s and wheels weigh the same also... Is this what your implying by your very intellectual response?

I would think height of tire, backspacing may play more of a roll. As I don't see strength of this carrier, nor the factory hinge mounting point being any issue

Also I can't imagine there is any weight on the door itself.. The design in any carrier directly from the hinges takes the weight off the door.

JAGS

Hooked
So my previous Toyo 40x1350 w/ trail ready bead locks weighing in at 141lbs each would be asking way to much over my other previous toyo 37x1350 w/ atx slabs weighing 136lbs... 5lbs is the kill point here?

I assume all 37s and wheels weigh the same also... Is this what your implying by your very intellectual response?

I would think height of tire, backspacing may play more of a roll. As I don't see strength of this carrier, nor the factory hinge mounting point being any issue

Also I can't imagine there is any weight on the door itself.. The design in any carrier directly from the hinges takes the weight off the door.

If you want that technical of advice, why not call EVO manufacturing and ask them.

I would think that would be the smart thing to do.

MOOK

If you want that technical of advice, why not call EVO manufacturing and ask them.

I would think that would be the smart thing to do.

Agreed.

On another note. Anyone who post pictures once you get it installed and tire mounted. Show a side picture if you can please. Like to see an angle of how it sits against the carrier/tail gate. Thanks in advance

Tree Frog

Wait what? I am not supposed to put beer in my cereal? :beer:

Love that tire carrier! Thanks for the photos, keep em coming.

MattMc

Evil, I'm going to be installing mine this weekend. I took the stock carrier off today.

What did you do for the stock isolator holes, third light hole and stuff?

I'm looking at getting a grommet kit or something.

Also, I see you went with the highest position possible. Since it would be a pain in the ass to move it, how do you feel about it being that high? I was thinking I'd do middle.

BaddestCross

I was looking on the EVO site hoping to see the gas can mounts they say it supports, but I didn't even see the mounts available for sale. Anyone seen them?

MattMc

I was looking on the EVO site hoping to see the gas can mounts they say it supports, but I didn't even see the mounts available for sale. Anyone seen them?

The dude I talked to said it would be out "soon". Also, he clarified that it is a roto pax mount. Not Jerry can if I understood correctly.

Top Bottom