New Evo Mfg pro series hinged gate

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm halfway there. I got the hinge installed at least. Of course I had to pull my entire CB coax from the radio all the way out through the tail gate to get it out of the ACE tailgate plate. Phew! Then it was a wrestling match to get the 9/16" bolts in place. After I hammered them in I realized I forgot the washers. Son of a bitch. I got them out with a punch, put the washers on, and got them seated. Then I fought the stupid spacer plates that hang on the hinge bolts and try to line it all up and get the bolts started. The first 10 attempts resulted in a spacer or bolt dropping out of place. Once it was finally bolted on, I realized I had the tire carrier set too low. So I took the carrier bolts out again, raised the mount, and redid the spacers and bolts. So all in all, it took me 2.5 hours so far, instead of what should have been a 30 min job. I also left a "pull wire" in place so I can pull the license plate light wire through the tail gate when I get it.

I'll report back tomorrow after I get the tire on, license plate moved, and remove the bumper.

32770659664_82d0852c7c_c.jpg

33613230215_8aaf29633f_h.jpg

J

JKDream

For those of you running this carrier: does it completely replace the factory tailgate hinges? I want to switch from my shitty carrier, but I had to cut the OEM hinges apart.

Sent from my Le X821 using WAYALIFE mobile app

**Edit - Post directly above answered my question.. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

zimm

Caught the Bug
For those of you running this carrier: does it completely replace the factory tailgate hinges? I want to switch from my shitty carrier, but I had to cut the OEM hinges apart.

Sent from my Le X821 using WAYALIFE mobile app

**Edit - Post directly above answered my question.. :D

YES it does. Aside from my complaining, it's a super heavy duty piece. I've very happy with it so far. I also didn't need to drill out the door stop and use their adjustable bracket, I bolted the factory tail gate stop back in place and it works fine.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Got it all done. The tail gate swings better than stock. I'm so happy with it. I'm still waiting on the ACE fascia and D-ring things. I zip tied the 7 pin connector above the frame since it would hang too low under. Not sure for a permanent solution. My 3' CB antenna is now too tall for my garage, so I ordered a 2' firestick with spring. That should fit. The back up lights are on the way, and the back up camera will go on after the fascia is installed. The factory hitch is 7" closer to the frame than the Ace bumper hitch, that should make a big difference with tongue weight.

33472474892_2a38ec28b5_b.jpg

32815236853_fdf2ac0cca_b.jpg

boardsurfer

Got it all done. The tail gate swings better than stock. I'm so happy with it. I'm still waiting on the ACE fascia and D-ring things. I zip tied the 7 pin connector above the frame since it would hang too low under. Not sure for a permanent solution. My 3' CB antenna is now too tall for my garage, so I ordered a 2' firestick with spring. That should fit. The back up lights are on the way, and the back up camera will go on after the fascia is installed. The factory hitch is 7" closer to the frame than the Ace bumper hitch, that should make a big difference with tongue weight.

Nice work! Those spacers can be difficult. Dont feel bad, I took mine apart a few times to get things lined up properly and chasing down a squeek. :thumb:

F

Fionayeti

EVO Hinge Gate Carrier Install

I'm probably late to this post and as I'm new to this forum, be kind making fun of me!

I just installed the EVO hinged tire carry and want to share some of my experiences - some of which are the same as some folks here.

Overall, this thing is a tank. It installed without too many issues but the ones i had were a pain in the butt. So here's my issues:

1. I love EVO, but I hate the packaging and the peanuts! That took me a good 20 minutes to deal with.
2. There are two spacers that are a pain in the butt to install behind the carrier. I simply taped the things together and then taped them to the carrier. It made installing the bolts through the carrier and through the spacers into the tailgate a cakewalk. When installed, you can't see the tape.
3. As someone mentioned here, go to Lowe's and get some longer stainless steel bolts for the spacer pieces. The stock bolts, while just about long enough, really don't have enough thread to bite on. EVO, for $650 bucks, please include some bolts!
4. The hinge bolts would not fit into the hinges no way, no how. I had to use a dremel and slowly grind away the holes until the 9/16 hinge bolts would fit.

Again, Overall, this rack is a tank and built very well. My buddy has the Teraflex carrier and it doesn't measure up to this. The tailgate is solid and doesn't rattle at all. I like this carrier because the holes for mounting the tire carrier part (See my pics) allowed me to use this carrier in many ways. I simply tapped the holes in the carrier so I could install a jerry can holder, a mtn bike rack, hi lift jack, and of course my spare tire - although, I carry my spare in the cargo area of the Jeep using a custom made tire carrier. I also designed a way to attach and detach the third brake light - sorry, I didn't take pics.

It's a great carrier and I highly recommend it. I hope my install helps people out!

Attachments

• IMG_3006.jpg
    IMG_3006.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_3004.jpg
    IMG_3004.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 452

catahoula

Caught the Bug

33472474892_2a38ec28b5_b.jpg

32815236853_fdf2ac0cca_b.jpg

The Ace fascia and rings are a pretty sweet deal. Will look nice on your rig!

IBSMSHN

Yes I agree ... best tailgate carrier! EVO.... that's what holds my 37. Just got tired of hearing and seeing my tire bouncing around so I bought this carrier and drive even harder over ruts, whoops etc... just so I can talk s*#*... lol and I can't!!! LOVE THIS THING... thanks EVO[emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RSQCON

Looking for some help. I'm trying to find out if the Evo Pro series tire carrier hinges will work with these AEV corner guards without having to trim the corner guards. The bolts seem pretty long but I am looking more at the footprint of the hungers than anything

cornerguard_bil.jpg

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
For people who have had this installed for a long time now how are you liking it? Still feel as solid today as day 1?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I do. I will say the rubber stops are cracking and don't see them lasting.

I agree, the bumpers are junk and not up to the task of holding the gate open. But, it opens and closes effortlessly, the finish is holding up, and no rattles!

I do wish there was a little more adjustment for high backspace wheels. I have AEV wheels, and with 2, 3/16" plates behind the wheel (3rd brake light, and license plate holder, I have the adjustment all the way out and I barely have enough lug nut threads to get the wheel on. It works, but another 1/4" of adjustment would be nice.

I'm trying to figure out which bumpers would be best. Plus there's extra holes, so maybe run 4 bumpers, 2 in each hinge?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-bumpers/=17e8z26

tdougherty81

I agree, the bumpers are junk and not up to the task of holding the gate open. But, it opens and closes effortlessly, the finish is holding up, and no rattles!

I do wish there was a little more adjustment for high backspace wheels. I have AEV wheels, and with 2, 3/16" plates behind the wheel (3rd brake light, and license plate holder, I have the adjustment all the way out and I barely have enough lug nut threads to get the wheel on. It works, but another 1/4" of adjustment would be nice.

I'm trying to figure out which bumpers would be best. Plus there's extra holes, so maybe run 4 bumpers, 2 in each hinge?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-bumpers/=17e8z26

Sweet. I haven't even had time to look for something to replace them with yet but good idea on 2 on each hinge. Wonder if a polyurethane bumper would hold up better?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I did some measuring. Bumpers that are 3/4" to 1" in diameter, 1/2 to 3/4" tall, and take a #10 screw or stud should fit. I'm going to check out the McMaster Carr bumpers and try some different ones out.

View attachment 256499

tdougherty81

I did some measuring. Bumpers that are 3/4" to 1" in diameter, 1/2 to 3/4" tall, and take a #10 screw or stud should fit. I'm going to check out the McMaster Carr bumpers and try some different ones out.

View attachment 256499

Let me know which one you figure works out better.

I was thinking of the Silicone Rubber with Steel Base Plate, rated for outdoor use and a higher hardness rating. Part # 8926T33

FuriousDz

For people who have had this installed for a long time now how are you liking it? Still feel as solid today as day 1?

After seeing the pic of spicy chicken jumping on that dune I asked Mel yesterday how it was holding up with that 40 on the back and he his answer was great its still there ;)

I would think something like that with that amount of weight would show any weakness.

Top Bottom