Help! Screeching/grinding noise coming from front tire

JeepNfish20

Hey guys, I have a 2011 2 door jk and the other day I was on a little stone road, when I got off of it I noticed a grinding sound like something was stuck in the breaks. I took it to my local dealership and I had them pull off just the one tire I thought it was coming from. They told me my breaks were fine and nothing was stuck. I sprayed some wd 40 around (not in the actual breaks) just for the heck of it and the sound actually went away almost completley, I could still hear it a little bit after that but not nearly as much. Then tonight I sprayed some break cleaner on and the sound got way worse than it was to begin with. I can hear it driving wether I'm on the breaks or not, it seems like when I hit the breaks it gets a little bit worse but not by much.
Anyone have any ideas !?
Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Draconianwinter

Sounds like a bearing issue. I could easily be wrong, but that's what it sounds like. When was the last time you checked your bearings?

Big Bad Wolf

Can you describe the sound ? You say grinding, so metal on metal ?

Does speed play a factor ?

Does it get worse when you apply brakes ?

Does it make it in reverse ?

If you put it in neutral and coast does it still grind ?

Perhaps a rock got jammed between your rotor and caliper or dust plate... Maybe the plate got warped and needs bending back.

Check the inside of your rim as a stuck rock on the caliper would possibly make a looped scrape pattern.. I have seen this before.

Draconianwinter

I would check the others. Chances are they didn't or they may have been fine at the time. While this is just my preference things like bearings I always replace all of them on the same axle at one time, and have been known often to do both axles. May be a waist of money, but it beats having one go out in the middle of nowhere.
My rule of thumb is if I do anything to one side I do it to both sides

Kalums

I've had something similar happen to me it ended up being a small rock stuck between the backing plate on the brake pad and the rotor sounded like hell for 2 or 3 days till I disassembled the entire thing and cleaned it really good. Didn't have to have to rotor resurfaced. The rock had not made a deep enough gouge yet.

Big Bad Wolf

I would check the others. Chances are they didn't or they may have been fine at the time. While this is just my preference things like bearings I always replace all of them on the same axle at one time, and have been known often to do both axles. May be a waist of money, but it beats having one go out in the middle of nowhere.
My rule of thumb is if I do anything to one side I do it to both sides

I agree, replacing both sides is a good idea. In mechanic school the instructor said he does this on his own vehicles.

JeepNfish20

Sounds like metal on metal and I start to hear it around 15mph and over. When I apply the breaks it gets a little louder then when I drop below 15 I dont really hear it. Only once in awhile I will hear it in reverse. At one point it was only doing it in reverse and not driving forward, now its mostly driving forward and not as much in reverse. As for the neutral and coasting I havent done that yet

Can you describe the sound ? You say grinding, so metal on metal ?

Does speed play a factor ?

Does it get worse when you apply brakes ?

Does it make it in reverse ?

If you put it in neutral and coast does it still grind ?

Perhaps a rock got jammed between your rotor and caliper or dust plate... Maybe the plate got warped and needs bending back.

Check the inside of your rim as a stuck rock on the caliper would possibly make a looped scrape pattern.. I have seen this before.

Big Bad Wolf

Do you have a set of Jackstands and a jack ? If not they could save you some $$ instead of going to the stealer. :beer: All you need is a breaker bar, sockets and a torque wrench.. Good to go!

jeeeep

Hooked
Hey guys, I have a 2011 2 door jk and the other day I was on a little stone road, when I got off of it I noticed a grinding sound like something was stuck in the breaks. I took it to my local dealership and I had them pull off just the one tire I thought it was coming from. They told me my breaks were fine and nothing was stuck. I sprayed some wd 40 around (not in the actual breaks) just for the heck of it and the sound actually went away almost completley, I could still hear it a little bit after that but not nearly as much. Then tonight I sprayed some break cleaner on and the sound got way worse than it was to begin with. I can hear it driving wether I'm on the breaks or not, it seems like when I hit the breaks it gets a little bit worse but not by much.
Anyone have any ideas !?
Thanks a lot

you really need to pull all the tires and check between the dust plate and calipers - those sounds travel and something in the rear brake can sound like it's coming from the front.

Spraying with WD40 will do nothing unless you get lucky or are spraying on the known squeaking part.

If you don't want to pull the wheels, at minimum jack up each corner and spin the tire in both directions, you may not hear it squeal but you will hear the grinding.

JeepNfish20

Thanks a lot, il get on that today!

you really need to pull all the tires and check between the dust plate and calipers - those sounds travel and something in the rear brake can sound like it's coming from the front.

Spraying with WD40 will do nothing unless you get lucky or are spraying on the known squeaking part.

If you don't want to pull the wheels, at minimum jack up each corner and spin the tire in both directions, you may not hear it squeal but you will hear the grinding.

Top Bottom