My bad JK week!

max380

Decided to bring the Jeep to the local mechanic, the guys are pros with VUS and off-road vehicles and they have built many buggies, so I really trust them.

Brought the 2008 JK (110 000 KILOMETRES = more or less 68 000 miles) in for a leaking read diff pinion seal, for slacking the skid plates bolts since I wanted to flush the t-case liquid and for a manual transmission liquid flush. (around 400$CAD, all taxes included (taxes are high in Qc)).

Here is what happened and what the mechanic saw:

1- After taking a look : The bearing of the rear diff pinion are to be done + the front wheels seals are to be done.

I said : ok go do it (that's last Friday). They said ok we will open the diff to check if everything is ok on Tuesday and begin the job. (around 1200,00$ including the precedent described job)

2- Tuesday comes and ... Surprise! The gears are all worn out and it seems that the guy who sold the Jeep to the used car dealer didn't fully weld the differential and that he only attached it the best way he could to make it lock... The mechanic couldn't believe that a used car dealership would sell that as is...!

Now here is the thing : + 1500,00$ for new gear set and new bearing set (chromoly, best available after market) and installation + full welding for a full weld differential lock.

Almost 3 000,00$ total (taxes included, almost 16%), including previous mentioned jobs !

I'll have peace of mind and have the real deal and everything done on the Jeep, but man that cuts a budget...!

Now here is the story that comes with it :

Bought the Jeep in July 2016 at a used car dealer. The dealer said that it was modified and might be locked (without any explanations). He told me its a Dana 44.

Then when I ask : is there anything wrong on the Jeep? He referred me to a fully mechanical inspection done in June by the SAAQ (government's office) stating what needed to be done on the car and another report stated that it was done. It expressly states that the car is fully functional and that nothing is wrong. When I asked again he said : How could there be anything wrong if the SAAQ (government) tells you that it is alright ?

Called the seller today and will try to settle so that he pays for the differential repairs (around 1 500,00$). He first offered to buy the car back, minus 0,30CAD$ for any KM that we had done so far (a loss of around 1500CAD$). We refused since we absolutely love the Jeep (and also because we spent around 2000$ on it as of now with the new Bestop roof...!!).

Will tell you what happens next...!

GraniteCrystal

Roof is easily transferable to another Jeep. I'd think about letting him buy it back. Might just be the first if many issues if there's hidden stuff like that.

MrJ3sser

Been there before, but mine happened within a month. First it was the ignition coil and O2 sensors. A couple weeks later was the slave cylinder and master cylinder. There went my bonus...:rolleyes2:

max380

Been there before, but mine happened within a month. First it was the ignition coil and O2 sensors. A couple weeks later was the slave cylinder and master cylinder. There went my bonus...:rolleyes2:

Don't scare me :shock:

Trainwreck618 said:
It does sound like a bad week.. what gears did you have installed?

Don't know... I never had too much info on that...

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Out of curiosity, whay are you having them re-weld the diff? Aside from the fact that I have never been a big fan of welding diffs, why would you try to replicate the thing that more than likely caused the problem in the first place. My $.02

max380

Out of curiosity, whay are you having them re-weld the diff? Aside from the fact that I have never been a big fan of welding diffs, why would you try to replicate the thing that more than likely caused the problem in the first place. My $.02

Re-welding is misused in fact.. I want it fully locked so that's what they will do.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
So you had them just throw in some new gears? Didn't care what ratio? And your having them go back in to install lockers?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Waiting for their proposal.

Any suggestion ?

ARBs are probably your best bet. But I gotta say I think they are talking you for a walk. I'd be getting a second opinion on everything before they start the work. If the gears were ruined because some nut job welded the diff you probably would have heard it when you bought the jeep

max380

News!

The mechanic of course checked the ratio since I have no info on that.

They sent me their final estimate which is 2000$ including new rear gears kit with pinion etc etc and the initial job to be done. A 1000$ less then expected so...

I knew the rear diff was locked because of the squeaking tires on wide turns when I tried the jeep but didn't know about the bad welding.

I saw the gears today and they were like razors and they explained everything so that I could understand.

With the final estimate in hands I'll get the job done and try to get paid back by the seller for the differential repairs !

max380

Geared with 4.10

Waiting for the call back of the dealer to negotiate a reimbursement of a part of the job... Let's see!:thumb:

Top Bottom