slow leak in tire = patch or plug?

MrJ3sser

I guess I should have also said that mine wasn't a push in plug that I used. I took the tire to Discount and they put in the rubber plug. (For Free, might I add.)

Try a plug first. i only patch if a plug won't hold or the tire has something larger in it. My wife runs over screws and nails all the time and 99% of the time the plugs work just fine. On the very few occasions where it kept leaking have I used it patched.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I totally agree and I have used plugs on all my rigs and without issue since I first started driving. As I said before, so long as it's on the tread and installed properly, you won't have any problems with a plug.

The issue with plugs is that they allow water under the tread which can corrode the steel belts. Not common and it can take a while to have an effect even in humid climates but I have seen people killed when the entire tread suddenly separated on the highway due to an old plug repair.

geberhard

Douchebag
The issue with plugs is that they allow water under the tread which can corrode the steel belts. Not common and it can take a while to have an effect even in humid climates but I have seen people killed when the entire tread suddenly separated on the highway due to an old plug repair.

Sorry but sounds like total bullshit.... A shitty tire repair is a shitty tire repair, a plug repair with cement well done will work perfectly well without any issues. Keep in mind water will have a hard time getting into a tire that has...ahhh air inside :D In your line of thought might as well throw away any tire that gets a flat ;) I have done plugs on several tires, including daily drivers and heavy trucks and wheelers with zero issues.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Sorry but sounds like total bullshit.... A shitty tire repair is a shitty tire repair, a plug repair with cement well done will work perfectly well without any issues. Keep in mind water will have a hard time getting into a tire that has...ahhh air inside :D In your line of thought might as well throw away any tire that gets a flat ;) I have done plugs on several tires, including daily drivers and heavy trucks and wheelers with zero issues.

Mate I'm talking about the cheap temporary plug repairs where u force a plug in from the outside without taking the tyre off or resizing the hole to suit the plug. There is always a small gap in one place or another around the plug into the tyre carcass.

I'm talking about water getting in between the inner lining of the tyre and the outer tread where the steel belts are not where the air is.

Proper combination patch plugs that are fitted from the inside with glue and a resized hole is the correct way to repair a tyre

geberhard

Douchebag
Since the patch will be inside the tire carcass it will do less than a well inserted plug that goes from the the outside to the inside of the tire. With the patch cement the plug will do a better job to protect water going in the belt if that is the concern. The patch will do little to prevent thread or belt damage. Most plug kits should only be used for repairing small bolt to nail size holes. I do not recommend stacking plugs (aside from emergency trail repair), beyond a standard plug, then cement and trim to edge of tire. The majority of plug kits come standard with a standard insert and deburring tool that opens the hole size to match the plug insert in the kits.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

He is actually spot on. The reason that push through plugs are not recommended for a permanent repair (with or without cement) is because of water intrusion into the steel belt. The corrosion of the steel belts can (not likely) cause a separation in the tread area on small vehicles. Where this ultimately comes into play is actually on truck tires where the casing itself is worth close to $500 and can be retreaded several times. Rust in the steel belting renders the casing useless for retread.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Btw I'm not saying don't use a plug. I do regularly. I'm simply stating why they aren't meant to be a permanent solution.

christov11

Damn guys! Took it to another level which is why I love this place! I hadn't thought of the water intrusion at all but given the ridiculous weather we get here, it's going to be the full job that I'll ask for tomorrow. Patch plug everytingy ting! Y'all are great, really!

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Damn guys! Took it to another level which is why I love this place! I hadn't thought of the water intrusion at all but given the ridiculous weather we get here, it's going to be the full job that I'll ask for tomorrow. Patch plug everytingy ting! Y'all are great, really!

I wouldn't be to worried if you're taking it too a shop as they will do a permanent repair.

christov11

sorry for the lack in follow up guys, was sick for a few days.

So i got it done, guys said he did both patch and plug. he explained it to me and it was pretty much what y'all were saying would be the most solid fix (other than a new tire). and confirmed that that hole is as good as new (relatively speaking)

thanks for all the input guys!

really glad I walked away with a 40$ bill instead of 200+ for a new tire!

Top Bottom