Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop - comments?

LowVoltage

Cant wait to hear your opinion. Live in socal have the freedom panels off all year long. would be nice when fallowing someone down the trail not to get dusted out.

Rcm3691

I had a local shop in Memphis tell me yesterday that Bestop fixed the price on that item - they weren't supposed to sell any cheaper. An internet dealer essentially told me the same thing. Not saying you can't find it cheaper but I couldn't and that's what I was told anyway.

Not fixed, it's called MAP pricing in the industry. Minimum Advertised Price. Not allowed to advertise it any cheaper than their set price. Helps keep the margin up so everyone can make money.

ronmcc4

Installation comments

I installed the Sunrider for Hardtop on my 2008 JKU Sahara this afternoon with the help of my wife (an extra set of hands makes things easier on a couple of the steps). The instructions were well written and easy to understand - especially after watching the Bestop installation video and their tips and tricks video as well.

Getting the door frame pieces installed requires a little more effort than I thought it would as there is some twisting and pressing of the padding to get the knobs started in their threads. You just have to work with it a little. Don't be afraid to cut a large enough slot for the rear knobs to pass through either if you have a 4 door. You'll never notice these cuts if you do remove the top.

I ran into a little trouble also with the bolt that goes into the weld nut on the passenger side. The threads were either buggered up in the nut or weren't completely cut through. Not my first rodeo so I got out my metric tap and die set and cleaned out these threads. This could have been a problem without the proper tools. That being said - the bolt did start and it could possibly have been tightened as it was but I was having to put too much force on it for my comfort. After I cleaned out the threads it went in slick.

The absolute biggest challenge was getting the mushroom knobs reinstalled; who'd have thought that? At the stage these knobs are called for in the instructions the definite impression is that they are too short and won't connect to the threads on the Sunrider top. What worked for me was that I went ahead and installed and fully tightened all of the other knobs and bolts in the instructions - this then pulls the top down far enough for the mushroom knob threads to start and tighten.

Also - as expected - the fabric is very tight coming out of the box (this is my first experience with any kind of soft top BTW) so fastening it in place the first time is a chore. I'm sure that will loosen up a bit with time.

The construction and design of the top look very sturdy and well made. I think the messed up threads on the passenger side weld nut was a fluke. Thankfully I knew what to do about that. If there is any retooling Bestop ever does with this product I would suggest the put in a slightly longer insert or make some adjustment so the mushroom knobs can be installed at the proper point in the instructions. Or - just make that the last set of knobs to install before closing the top for the first time. With the other knobs and bolts installed it can’t help but be lined up.

I'll road test the top tomorrow and may have a comment about that. Then I'll post back after living with it for a few days.

As a side note - I have a Rugged Ridge Eclipse Sun Shade installed that is now underneath the Sunrider for Hardtop. I had this underneath the Freedom Tops to keep the direct sun off my balding head and my fair complexioned wife. Same thing for the Sunrider for Hardtop. It seems to work well underneath the Sunrider as well. And - I have those Velcro grab bars around the roll cage over the doors. They also don't seem to interfere but I did remove them while doing the install just to make things a little easier.

I'm not a fast worker when it comes to working on the Jeep. And, the hassle with the mushroom knobs and the passenger side weld nut cost me some time. All in all, I spent about 3 hours from unboxing to final inspection. Slow as Christmas I know but I enjoy working on the Jeep so I stretch things out a bit. That’s actually about on par for me – generally about 3 times as long as it should. 

clos0791

Thank you! I am also on the fence to buy the Sunrider. Some of the install challenges you encountered are common with this top as I've read from others who have it. I don't understand why Bestop just doesn't fix these fixable design problems. Can't wait for your full review after you've used it a while.

ronmcc4

Gonna delay my performance write-up for a bit. Turns out I likely got an early production one from the vendor I ordered from. See above for the install issues. Once installed, I had the loose rivet issue that generated a very annoying rattle at highway speed (wind induced - not rough road). I also had the "tore a small hole in the windshield rubber molding" issue (which I don't think causes actual harm since it already has air holes in it).

Bestop is sending me a completely new top that their internal QA team has inspected to replace the original top I bought. I hope to receive that next week.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

ronmcc4

Update - my replacement top

Update: I received my replacement top from Bestop today. This top was to have been inspected by QA before they shipped it to me. Indeed, the rivets are definitely larger and much more substantial looking and there is no play at all in the supporting rib where the rivets are. A short test ride on the interstate didn't show any rattles - of course the top is still very tight since I just put it on. Hopefully that issue is solved.

But (always a but I guess) - when I inspected the replacement top upon taking it out of the box I discovered the header latches were scratch - significantly scratched. It looks like whoever replace the rivets perhaps flipped the top over on a rough surface to do that. Can't figure out any other way the latches could get deep scratches. So - what i did was removed the latches from my original top and replaced the scratched latches on the replacement. Then installed the replacement which went on just fine.

Yes - they would probably have sent me another top or replacement latches but I didn't want to deal with that further. I wanted it right - today. I've contacted the customer service rep from Bestop I was working with via email with pictures. Hopefully my solution makes everyone happy.

Once this is all done I'll post my performance review.

LowVoltage

Mine has had no issues so far. Just drove 60 miles on the freeway top down with no noise at all not even when i was doing 80.
Hope your new top works out better.

ronmcc4

My review - final comments

As you can see above my original top had the "loose rivet" issue. Kudos to Bestop customer service. They sent me a new top with obviously beefed up rivets. The install of the new top was pretty much uneventful as would be expected. I did use my tap and die set to clean out one of the threads similar to what I did last time.

Performance: Finally! I've had the top on for a while now and I really like this product. I've used it around town without any noise issues at all. I've used it on the interstate both open and closed and, again, no rattles or other noise issues. I love the way you can flip it open or closed (when stopped of course) from a seated and buckled in driver's seat position in just a few seconds (literally at a traffic light). In the time I've had it installed it hasn't rained yet - so - I can't speak about leaks at this point but I don't think that has been a major issue in other reviews I've read. Bottom line - I really like it and would buy it again as it adds flexibility to the Jeep that the Freedom Tops really don't offer because of their size, weight, and storage issues. This is an expensive item - especially the twill version. But it does increase the usefulness and fun of the Jeep IMHO. At least one online vendor is offering the twill top for less than suggested retail at this point also.

As an aside - I know that some folks in colder climates will probably remove the Sunrider and reinstall the Freedom Tops for winter. When I took my original top off I didn't exactly time how long it takes to do that but no more than a few minutes to 1/2 hour. Not something I'd want to do every day but then you wouldn't be doing it often. I plan on leaving mine on year-round.

Aside 2 - There have been some complaints about 2 things:

1 - The latches bounce and rattle when folded back. This is easily remedied by sticking a piece of sticky-back window insulation or something similar to the frame of the top where the latches contact when open. Easy fix.

2 - The top may poke a hole (or more than one) in the inside edge of your windshield gasket. Mine did this. I really don't see that as an issue since the gasket already has small holes in a similar position for pressure regulation anyway. The front and top of the gasket is what keeps water out - not the inside edge I think.

Hohertz

As you can see above my original top had the "loose rivet" issue. Kudos to Bestop customer service. They sent me a new top with obviously beefed up rivets. The install of the new top was pretty much uneventful as would be expected. I did use my tap and die set to clean out one of the threads similar to what I did last time.

Performance: Finally! I've had the top on for a while now and I really like this product. I've used it around town without any noise issues at all. I've used it on the interstate both open and closed and, again, no rattles or other noise issues. I love the way you can flip it open or closed (when stopped of course) from a seated and buckled in driver's seat position in just a few seconds (literally at a traffic light). In the time I've had it installed it hasn't rained yet - so - I can't speak about leaks at this point but I don't think that has been a major issue in other reviews I've read. Bottom line - I really like it and would buy it again as it adds flexibility to the Jeep that the Freedom Tops really don't offer because of their size, weight, and storage issues. This is an expensive item - especially the twill version. But it does increase the usefulness and fun of the Jeep IMHO. At least one online vendor is offering the twill top for less than suggested retail at this point also.

As an aside - I know that some folks in colder climates will probably remove the Sunrider and reinstall the Freedom Tops for winter. When I took my original top off I didn't exactly time how long it takes to do that but no more than a few minutes to 1/2 hour. Not something I'd want to do every day but then you wouldn't be doing it often. I plan on leaving mine on year-round.

Aside 2 - There have been some complaints about 2 things:

1 - The latches bounce and rattle when folded back. This is easily remedied by sticking a piece of sticky-back window insulation or something similar to the frame of the top where the latches contact when open. Easy fix.

2 - The top may poke a hole (or more than one) in the inside edge of your windshield gasket. Mine did this. I really don't see that as an issue since the gasket already has small holes in a similar position for pressure regulation anyway. The front and top of the gasket is what keeps water out - not the inside edge I think.

Thanks for the feedback and update on your experience thus far.

I have been eyeing these for a while now but just couldn't break down to buy one as I think they are over priced. However, yesterday I happen to be on Amazon at just the right time and got the twill version on a lightning deal for $550 w/o tax. Couldn't resist as I've been saving now for a while and knew I wouldn't find this any cheaper.

Can't wait to get it installed this weekend. I will try and provide some updates as to the installation and performance. :thumb:

Hohertz

Thanks for the feedback and update on your experience thus far.

I have been eyeing these for a while now but just couldn't break down to buy one as I think they are over priced. However, yesterday I happen to be on Amazon at just the right time and got the twill version on a lightning deal for $550 w/o tax. Couldn't resist as I've been saving now for a while and knew I wouldn't find this any cheaper.

Can't wait to get it installed this weekend. I will try and provide some updates as to the installation and performance. :thumb:

Well, I've had my Bestop Sunrider on for about 3 weeks now and overall have been very happy with it. It's already been through some heavy Houston rain storms and hasn't leaked at all which was a major concern of mine after completing the installation.

Speaking of installation, it was a bit more work than I expected which could have been avoided with some minor design improvements by Bestop.
First, the bolt they provide to install with the door rails are too short in my opinion and very hard to get threaded in the the door rail. I went to my local part store and found some longer M6 x 20mm flange screws to resolve this issue.
Second, the back of the Sunrider is very hard to get installed using the factory equipped mushroom knobs. This came as a surprise to me and I ended up having to put a very heavy ammo box on top of the Sunrider and hardtop in order to push it down enough to barely start the thread of the factory mushroom knobs. Again, I feel like this could be addressed by Bestop to better design the threads to extend further and make the installation alot easier.

When latched closed, it provides a very tight and taut seal around the windshield header and around the back portion around the hardtop. I've noticed a slight noise increase over the factory freedom panels which was to be expected and in actuality I'm happily impressed with the amount of noise that is blocked when latched close. When riding with it open, I've not noticed any rattling or additional noise that would be caused by the Sunrider.

Now that it is installed, I love it! The ability to open and close the Sunrider from inside the Jeep in a matter a seconds is great! Also, I should note I have a Spiderweb Sunshade and it works with the Spiderweb Sunshade remaining installed. It does make opening/closing the Sunrider a little bit cumbersome.

Hope that helps someone out there! Cheers! :beer:

NorTex

I love mine, I installed it earlier this summer - got tired of taking the freedom panels off - then putting them back on cuz it might rain
plus it gets hot as hell here in Texas, so a little shade while it sits is great so it doesnt cook the seats
I love it, and we had a nice winter day when it was 75 degrees and i just popped it back to enjoy the sun - the following day was 26
it is perfect for our strange weather in Texas

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Got my daughter one for Christmas, just put it on last week. She loves it, fairly easy install. I would recommend a helper but it can be done solo.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom