Aluminum Vs. steel bumpers

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
So, I was looking through GenRight Offroad's offerings for coil overs for my TJ (I'm still researching whether or not they'll be worth the money over a long arm system), and sort of skipped over the aluminum bumpers for the steel ones. I work with metal, and generally understand the advantages of lighter weight of aluminum, while there's the disadvantages of less strength and faster metal fatigue. Not to mention, I can repair steel easily and cheaply, where aluminum is a bit more involved, especially since dents can't really be repaired without cutting out the effected aluminum and replacing it with new material and the problems of welding aluminum.

But, before I overthink this, does anyone have experience with the aluminum bumpers, tire carriers and tube fenders that GenRight makes?

Also, I had hoped to hear if a coil over suspension was worth it on the TJ, with the short wheel base.

Thanks in advance!

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
So, I was looking through GenRight Offroad's offerings for coil overs for my TJ (I'm still researching whether or not they'll be worth the money over a long arm system), and sort of skipped over the aluminum bumpers for the steel ones. I work with metal, and generally understand the advantages of lighter weight of aluminum, while there's the disadvantages of less strength and faster metal fatigue. Not to mention, I can repair steel easily and cheaply, where aluminum is a bit more involved, especially since dents can't really be repaired without cutting out the effected aluminum and replacing it with new material and the problems of welding aluminum.

But, before I overthink this, does anyone have experience with the aluminum bumpers, tire carriers and tube fenders that GenRight makes?

Also, I had hoped to hear if a coil over suspension was worth it on the TJ, with the short wheel base.

Thanks in advance!

I'm going to go with the steel bumpers. I could see it if I was racing for money and wanted to keep weight down with aluminum. But I'm not going to be, so I'll save some $$.

RUBEERCON

I have a Pronghorn full width aluminum bumper. No dents but it has deeper scrapes in it than a steel bumper would have. If I had this exact bumper it would weigh a ton in a steel version, that being said a stubby steel bumper may weigh less than my full aluminum bumper. Point is the size of the bumper can be a big factor when considering weight.

When I get tube fenders I'm going aluminum since the jeep is silver and they may just get a clear coat. I do like the thought of lighter parts when available. I just wish lighter means it's also lighter on the wallet!

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I have a Pronghorn full width aluminum bumper. No dents but it has deeper scrapes in it than a steel bumper would have. If I had this exact bumper it would weigh a ton in a steel version, that being said a stubby steel bumper may weigh less than my full aluminum bumper. Point is the size of the bumper can be a big factor when considering weight.

When I get tube fenders I'm going aluminum since the jeep is silver and they may just get a clear coat. I do like the thought of lighter parts when available. I just wish lighter means it's also lighter on the wallet!

Thanks for the response.

I kept on going over it, but couldn't justify the added money unless someone gives me something to think about that I haven't considered yet. I'd love to go with aluminum, but are the weight savings worth the additional money?

Ddays

Hooked
[I[/I]
Thanks for the response.

I kept on going over it, but couldn't justify the added money unless someone gives me something to think about that I haven't considered yet. I'd love to go with aluminum, but are the weight savings worth the additional money?

I'm with you. Aluminum parts are fine in general but I think some of it depends on which parts and where they'd be used. I would think the aluminum tire carrier would be fine but I would think aluminum bumpers would get trashed if you are a frequent wheeler. Especially on the harder trails where you know you're gonna be leanin on stuff. Aluminum sliders? :icon_crazy: Guess a lot of it comes down to how the Jeep is used.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
[I[/I]

I'm with you. Aluminum parts are fine in general but I think some of it depends on which parts and where they'd be used. I would think the aluminum tire carrier would be fine but I would think aluminum bumpers would get trashed if you are a frequent wheeler. Especially on the harder trails where you know you're gonna be leanin on stuff. Aluminum sliders? :icon_crazy: Guess a lot of it comes down to how the Jeep is used.

Yeah. I can weld steel easily. Aluminum also gets metal fatigue faster, and it's harder to correct.

Draconianwinter

[I[/I]

If weight is the biggest concern I would say go with a stubby steel bumper. Also may want to consider if you're going to mount a winch. If you use one often enough I would be worried about the effects of that on the aluminum.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
If weight is the biggest concern I would say go with a stubby steel bumper. Also may want to consider if you're going to mount a winch. If you use one often enough I would be worried about the effects of that on the aluminum.

That's where I'm headed. I just watched the "Fork Yeah" videos, and noticed at one point of a trail at Moab the back bumpers on almost every rig smacking the edge of a ledge the group was crawling downhill on. It made me realize that I may want to make sure the tire carrier is steel, too.

The same with fender flares. I'll buy plastic Bushwacker flares and be able to replace them far cheaper than the aluminum flares GenRight offers.

Last edited:

Draconianwinter

Yeah definitely. I was actually looking at the passion spyder crusher flares but after asking Eddie about them I may well end up just get the mopar high clearance flares. Kind of sucks while I do like the looks of the stock flares I really love how the poison spyder flares look, but rather to the flare off than do major body damage

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I've put off building my TJ for the last year and a half because of some family issues. They were mostly good issues, like a couple of trips, some time off of work, fooling around with a sort of gig I have, as well as some bad things here and there. But that's all part of life, and the trick is to keep trying to move forward.

I'm kind of embarrassed that my wheels are still as bone stock as when I bought it.

Draconianwinter

I've put off building my TJ for the last year and a half because of some family issues. They were mostly good issues, like a couple of trips, some time off of work, fooling around with a sort of gig I have, as well as some bad things here and there. But that's all part of life, and the trick is to keep trying to move forward.

I'm kind of embarrassed that my wheels are still as bone stock as when I bought it.
Yeah life happens good and bad , but the nice thing is you can do mods at your pace

aribelin

My LJ is fully armored in GenRight aluminum but the contact points are all steel: sliders, bumpers, and tire carrier. I've laid it over in a big crack and scuffed the aluminum a little and bent a front fender a little but it held up well. Pulled the slider off and bottle jacked the fender straight again. Replaced the aluminum fenders with high lines when I went to 39's and put aluminum back again.

Top Bottom