Hard top front panels issues

lesterjanpearson

Recently my front panels have been leaking water not sure why, but it seems to start from the side where there is like a sponge thing.

z6ly2wpw2xwgc1u.jpg

when I close the door it seems to protrude out the rubber. and looks like its collecting water from there. Should I just remove it? or there is a purpose for that?

Last edited:

rogerk93

I don't think there is a hard top out there that doesn't leak at some point. Mine has been leaking at the same spot for a year now you get used to it I guess.

Donner85

What's the condition of foam? You could get a replacement foam kit for about $30. Sometimes that helps.

lesterjanpearson

I don't want to get to used to it to be honest. its a 3 month old jeep. so I'm looking for solutions.

I wonder if I just remove it or does it have some kind of purpose?

Is there such thing as foam kit? its kinda small I could just replace it with a non absorbent object or something. but then again I am not sure what it is for.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I don't want to get to used to it to be honest. its a 3 month old jeep. so I'm looking for solutions.

Not trying to be a dick, but maybe you should consider selling your Jeep and move on? Looking through your history, it seems that, just maybe, you fell in love with the "idea" of owning a Wrangler and have since found the "reality" to be something else? The phase "It's A Jeep Thing" is not a new one. Embrace it, or you will be forever disappointed by these trivial issues.

Napalm

My hardtop leaked from many different spots on my 2016 that I bought in January. It's just part of being able to have a removable top.

I sold my hardtop and bought a Trektop NX and it doesn't leak at all(yet).

jesse3638

Hooked
Mine doesn't leak. But then again I don't see a lot of rain. Most of it I did see the top wasn't on so of course it leaked then..;). Now that I said this it will be leaking..damn it!

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I had that same problem with my soft top. It leaked in the same spot. I ripped the foam of and put some silicon in the spot just for temporary use but man that was a freaking pain. It would run down the door on the inside. Yeah I'm just guessing to bye a new seal. My hard top hasn't leaked on me though so I don't know what it is.

rogerk93

Not trying to be a dick, but maybe you should consider selling your Jeep and move on? Looking through your history, it seems that, just maybe, you fell in love with the "idea" of owning a Wrangler and have since found the "reality" to be something else? The phase "It's A Jeep Thing" is not a new one. Embrace it, or you will be forever disappointed by these trivial issues.

A lot of people I see and talk to has the same dilemma when they start to experience what owning a wrangler actually means. The expenses, the constant maintenance it actually needs. They end up wanting to get rid of it.

lesterjanpearson

You can buy it from me, and I will just have to go back to my TJ and CJ, and post on those threads. I am just new with JKs because after the old jeeps it took a lot of years for JKs to reach my city.

and no one knows jack shit about it here. our dealership pretty much are just salesmen/women. only reads the brochure probably.

I thought the best thing of owning a JK is you can transform it to anything you want it to be. No limits. thats what imaginations are for. maybe you just lack of it.

there are a lot of pretty helpful info from other members besides you. but I don't mean to be a dick too. so when you have a flat tire, pretty much to just have to deal with it huh? lame.

lesterjanpearson

A lot of people I see and talk to has the same dilemma when they start to experience what owning a wrangler actually means. The expenses, the constant maintenance it actually needs. They end up wanting to get rid of it.

I don't want to get rid of it, I just want to find solutions to make it better. I like to find solutions instead of just letting the problem become worse. So I placed an electrical tape over that foam. no more leaks.

I'm not really close minded like some people are. like saying jeeps are only for offroad.

RonG

After my 2015 was a couple of months old, it developed a leak dead center between the panels. It only happened when the JK had been parked during a heavy rain and then I first moved it. It dripped right over the radio.

I asked the dealership to look at it when I took it in for service. They played with it and finally replaced the seals. When I got it back, it leaked worse and more often the before. I learned my lesson and didn't take it back for them to look at again.

The problem all but went away over time.

Last week I put my soft top on and it stopped leaking once and for all. Problem solved.

lesterjanpearson

After my 2015 was a couple of months old, it developed a leak dead center between the panels. It only happened when the JK had been parked during a heavy rain and then I first moved it. It dripped right over the radio.

I asked the dealership to look at it when I took it in for service. They played with it and finally replaced the seals. When I got it back, it leaked worse and more often the before. I learned my lesson and didn't take it back for them to look at again.

The problem all but went away over time.

Last week I put my soft top on and it stopped leaking once and for all. Problem solved.

I see, fortunately for me its just on the sides where there is an obvious culprit, I call it the sponge. with out it no leaks at all, it rained all day today, the water just stopped over the electrical tape and the plastic.

jeeeep

Hooked
my 2010 hard top has never leaked, it's not something to get used to...yeah there are some things that are just a design flaw, but a leaking hardtop?? for that kind of money I better stay dry.

If it's that new take it back to the dealer, I believe they have a full rubber corner piece to replace the foam.

lesterjanpearson

my 2010 hard top has never leaked, it's not something to get used to...yeah there are some things that are just a design flaw, but a leaking hardtop?? for that kind of money I better stay dry.

If it's that new take it back to the dealer, I believe they have a full rubber corner piece to replace the foam.

Thank God someone finally mentioned rubber for the foam. I kind a just added a tape so it wont absorb anymore. hard to ship it back to the dealership. will cost me around 600$ back and fort.

not to add what it will cost me there for the fixes.

Donner85

I battled with the dealer for 6 months to get my leaks fixed. I understand as these things age they can develop leaks but I sure as hell wasnt ready to deal with them while it's still under warranty. From reading forums I've found there's so many little tweaks here and there you can do to help fix them. I get that it's a jeep thing and in the long run I can deal with it.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
You can buy it from me, and I will just have to go back to my TJ and CJ, and post on those threads. I am just new with JKs because after the old jeeps it took a lot of years for JKs to reach my city.

and no one knows jack shit about it here. our dealership pretty much are just salesmen/women. only reads the brochure probably.

I thought the best thing of owning a JK is you can transform it to anything you want it to be. No limits. thats what imaginations are for. maybe you just lack of it.

there are a lot of pretty helpful info from other members besides you. but I don't mean to be a dick too. so when you have a flat tire, pretty much to just have to deal with it huh? lame.

Ok man, I can see your frustrated and get that you did not what to hear what I had to say. Beyond that, you have been hanging around for what, the better part of a year, right? Never bothered to give a wave or introduce yourself. Started no less than 45 threads asking for advice or questions regarding your brand new Wrangler. Helped basically no one else on this forum, so excuse me for saying that maybe, just maybe, you are in a bit over your head? I mean really, grips about window washer fluid, hot air while standing next to your Jeep? The list goes on and on.

Really, there is more to being a member than spongeing endless information. Why don't you give a wave, tell us about your Jeep, post a pic of it and contribute to a thread that has nothing to do with asking questions or gathering information?

Your right about Jeep Wanglers being a vehicle that can be transformed and that the possibilities are endless. Stop sweating the minor details, transform your Jeep using YOUR imagination and then SHARE your experience with the rest of us. It's a two way street.

lesterjanpearson

Ok man, I can see your frustrated and get that you did not what to hear what I had to say. Beyond that, you have been hanging around for what, the better part of a year, right? Never bothered to give a wave or introduce yourself. Started no less than 45 threads asking for advice or questions regarding your brand new Wrangler. Helped basically no one else on this forum, so excuse me for saying that maybe, just maybe, you are in a bit over your head? I mean really, grips about window washer fluid, hot air while standing next to your Jeep? The list goes on and on.

Really, there is more to being a member than spongeing endless information. Why don't you give a wave, tell us about your Jeep, post a pic of it and contribute to a thread that has nothing to do with asking questions or gathering information?

Your right about Jeep Wanglers being a vehicle that can be transformed and that the possibilities are endless. Stop sweating the minor details, transform your Jeep using YOUR imagination and then SHARE your experience with the rest of us. It's a two way street.

I'm gonna post it when its ready, Its still too stock to even look at it. aside from going back and forth to the shop and my farm. and I don't really take pictures from my phone, I'm old school nokia.

unless I have to I borrow from my wife. I know I did leave a message to other threads a couple of times. but what do I know, I am new with jeeps. I am not sure what you mean about wave. but you can

have me banned from the forums. if you want to look it up on Isuzu forums I have tons of suggestions there. since I was handed down knowledge from my Dad, who has tons of Isuzu pickups.

I am just not sure why your being an a**hole about it. report me or ban me or whatever. or don't reply at on my posts. until I am an expert and my rig is done. I wont post it. its not worth it to show off.

right now its a farm workhorse and getting my wife to her office. Did you even see my post when I shared my hard top custom headliner? I know a lot of people appreciated that and want to

do it too. I know I gave the materials I used and how we did. So I guess I did help a little and shared. thats the only thing thats worth sharing with jeep right now. I don't know whats your deal, or

if its probably a bad day for you. but lay off dude. get me banned or give a constructive advise. if you want to copy what I did with my leather headliners. I would be happy to assist you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom