Lost abandoned trains in the north maine woods

robx251

Caught the Bug
So it had been long known up here in Maine about the abandoned trains in the north maine woods finally a local fellow has written some amazing directions with photos on how to get there.

Edited out link with gps location

Last edited by a moderator:

OhNoTheJiggies

That's a really great adventure to be had. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to be able to explore that area.

Unfortunately, similar to Eddies post about coordinates, there will probably be people who go out there and vandalize the trains and steal things off them. Since it'll be easy to follow directions to get there :(

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair to the OP, he did ask me by PM if it'd be okay to post up the article. I am unfamiliar with the area but assumed that it was a well known destination like the Rubicon. If it isn't, I stand corrected and should take the blame for allowing the post and the link should remain off the forum.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Don't post the coordinates or directions, but I would like to see pictures of the train/s and area around them if you have any.

Thanks!

robx251

Caught the Bug
To be fair to the OP, he did ask me by PM if it'd be okay to post up the article. I am unfamiliar with the area but assumed that it was a well known destination like the Rubicon. If it isn't, I stand corrected and should take the blame for allowing the post and the link should remain off the forum.

Thanks Eddie, I appreciate you going to bat for me and letting others know that I did contact you before posting that link and I went through appropriate channels before I created this post.

OhNoTheJiggies

I wasn't implying that OP was doing anything wrong necessarily, just saying that since the person who wrote the article opened the gates for douches to tear up the trains. Sucks that people are so crappy... referring to those douches, not OP :)

Lance628

That's a really great adventure to be had. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to be able to explore that area.

Unfortunately, similar to Eddies post about coordinates, there will probably be people who go out there and vandalize the trains and steal things off them. Since it'll be easy to follow directions to get there :(

There actually being restored somewhat right know they where used in the logging operation to drive pulp to the mills they use to not be very well know but now with the restoration there being publicized a lot now

robx251

Caught the Bug
20140923_140220.jpg

20140923_124038.jpg

20140923_140254.jpg

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
wow, that is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing! now get your ass over there in person and post up some BETTER pics! :yup:

bthomas

Thanks! That is so awesome! It looks like they're pretty complete still too. I'd love to see more pics if you get to them. If I lived anywhere close to the area, I'd be all over finding them and taking a TON of pics! Too bad I'm 2900 miles away...

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Interesting pics! Finding these trains, ghost towns, old mines, stamping mills and even the concrete arrows are what I love most about exploring in the JK. I got close to packin' my poo-poo and heading east. Choo, choo!

Top Bottom