Running public trails/roads during hunting season.

leftyonly

Was thinking of doing the unofficial Hidden Falls trip this weekend to get some off-road time, but I think I am going to spend the weekend with the wife at my Dad's place on Toledo Bend Reservoir on the TX/LA border where we can also fish.

The massive Sabine National Forest is just across the lake from us. Being new to my Jeep, I was considering taking Saturday afternoon and cruising some of the public roads/trails in the National forest just to spend some time outside with the top off. However, opening day of bow season for White Tails is October 1 in Texas...Being new to any off road activities, I am wondering about the wisdom rambling through the woods on opening day of deer season with no purpose.

What opinions do you guys have regarding etiquette off-roading during an active hunting season in an area that is known to be hunted...I recognize that they are public roads, but I don't want to be an a$$ if I can help it.

-Richard

Depending on how much use the roads get it shouldn't be a problem. I hunt in Alabama and there is a busy road within 1/2 mile of my stand. Its also a working farm with the house only 400 yards or so away. None of that seems to bother the deer. Avoid dusk and dawn if you can, You may also want to check the feeding times on the game tables and avoid the times if possible.

swampdog

Depending on how much use the roads get it shouldn't be a problem. I hunt in Alabama and there is a busy road within 1/2 mile of my stand. Its also a working farm with the house only 400 yards or so away. None of that seems to bother the deer. Avoid dusk and dawn if you can, You may also want to check the feeding times on the game tables and avoid the times if possible.

I think he is more concerned about getting stuck with an arrow, not disturbing the deer.

I would say wear bright clothes and stay in more open areas for your own safety. I do tend to believe that the bow crowd would be safer and more responsible than some of the yahoos rifle season attracts. I may be off here, but that is my impression.

Last edited:

leftyonly

I think he is more concerned about getting stuck with an arrow, not disturbing the deer.

I would say wear bring clothes and stay in more open areas for your own safety. I do tend to believe that the bow crowd would tend to be safer and more responsible than some of the yahoos rifle season attracts. I may be off here, but that is my impression.

Yes an arrow or or a handgun round would ruin my day.

You're certainly right about the open season, I don't even feel safe on the highways around my Dad's place during that time. There are blinds setup all over. You see them facing each other across right-of-ways, facing the highways, etc...:eek:

Planning to pretty much stay in the vehicle and on the roads. I will leave my deer costume at home. I also won't be defenseless :)

-Richard

Ddays

Hooked
That can be a sticky one but in your case if its a National Forest, you have every right to be there as much as any hunter. You just both have to respect each other. On the other hand, if its a State Game Land (we have those in Pa, which are still public lands but purposely put aside for public hunting) I would stay out of those kinds of areas. Prime hunting hours are usually within an hour or two of dawn & dusk but I would imagine you'd be talking morning to afternoon.
Now if you're tearing up and down the road like Bo and Luke Duke, you're gonna catch grief. But if you're just driving up and down a road I don't see how anyone has a right to bitch.

BamBamDeer

Bow hunting is pretty much a short range proposition. 40 yards is a long shot....I shoot Traditional Gear and try to keep it around 20. Most Bow hunters have to see their target well to take a shot. I don't think you will be in any real danger. As far as spooking the deer, most are pretty use to traffic. They might run a short burst but not too far unless you are chasing them. Often they will freeze where they are until traffic passes.

I think you should enjoy yourself and the scenery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

You may also want to check with forestry service. To make sure they don't close the park during hunts. Prentice cooper in Chattanooga tn shuts down for everyone but hunters during hunting season on specified days.

Scrambler

Keyword here is public. If a hunter or anyone else acting in a civilian capacity had a problem with you using the "public" trails and roads as they were intended to be used, I'd say you'd be right to tell them to go to their nearest hardware store, buy a bag of sand, dump it on the ground, and pound it.

ob_tj

I know when I am bow hunting or deer hunting at all I try and stay far away from roads that could possibly have traffic. I'm not to fond of road hunting. I think you should be ok!

leftyonly

Thanks everyone! We will be sticking to the main roads/trails that are on the maps and behaving reasonably.

-Richard

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
while I haven't made it over to Sabine N.F. as yet I do spend more than a fair amount of time in Davey Crockett roaming around and have never had any issues , open season is a little more tricky where I stick to roads that are pass through instead of the ones that are dead ends where your down and back .. only change I ever bother with is making sure that if I go off hiking I am much easier to spot and not mistaken for anything but human

enjoy the roaming take your time go slow and ya might just see a few of those deer , although have noticed in Davey they tend to not be seen quite as much when the season opens ..

Top Bottom