Steering vibration

Sandy

I need help with a vibration issue. It only happens between 25 and 40 under acceleration in any gear. Pretty much goes away when in 4wd, but still noticeable. I've rotated tires and is still there. However, I can really hear tire noise from the left rear, but I don't see any tire separation. Thanks for your help

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to WAL. How high is your lift? Pull your front driveshaft off and re drive it. See if it goes away.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it an oscillating vibration or more like a shimmy in the wheel? If the latter, a speed related shimmy is almost always a tire balance issue. Granted, you did say it goes away in 4WD so it could be the prior and that could mean you have issues with your front drive shaft. What is your caster set at?

Sandy

Welcome to WAL. How high is your lift? Pull your front driveshaft off and re drive it. See if it goes away.
I'll try the drive shaft. 4" lift. Been on about a year. No problems till now. Have 31x12.5" Maxxus tires. After rotating the tires, the rears are really noisy. There's no vibration when decelerating, just accelerating.

Sandy

Is it an oscillating vibration or more like a shimmy in the wheel? If the latter, a speed related shimmy is almost always a tire balance issue. Granted, you did say it goes away in 4WD so it could be the prior and that could mean you have issues with your front drive shaft. What is your caster set at?
Its not a shimmy, just vibration and I will check the drive shaft. I don't know what the caster was set at. I had a local 4wd shop do the alignment after the lift about a year ago. Has been running straight as an arrow. This just started happening. When I moved the fronts to the back, the tire noise from the rear is noticeably worse than before and still have the vibration.

ob_tj

I had the same thing. I would check driveshafts. I had a bad u joint and my driveshaft was way out of balance.

tdans

I had the same thing happen on mine. It was the cv joint was bad on the front drive shaft. If it's doing that I would bet you can grab the driveshaft and wiggle and twist it and see the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom