Wheel backspace and stress

PB's-12JKU

Pulling my hair out over backspacing and stress, I have read almost every post that I can find and still can't find a solid answer. My Jeep is a 2012 JKU Sport all stock, D30 front, D44 rear, 3.21 gears, automatic, and fenders.
Upgrade plans are new wheels and tires, shocks, leveling kit, bumper.
Thoughts are:

Pro Comp 69 series wheels
16x8 4 inch backspace
BFG KO2 285/75/16
Or
Pro Comp 69 series wheel
17x9 4.75 inch backspace
BFG KO2 285/70/17

Would like to add the new LoD full-width bumper and it weighs around 60lbs.
With that extra weight I'm thinking I need to add the EVO leveling kit and Rancho RS5000x or RS9000xl shocks.

What wheel and tire combination would work best without adding to much stress to my ball joints, flanges, axles, housings, and etc.

And If anyone has pictures running stock fenders and wheels with 4 & 4.75 backspacing showing how faw they stick out would also be great.

This is my daily driver with 90% pavement, typical dirt roads with divits, no rock crawling, or extreme stuff, just exploring new places.

Thanks so much.

thardy

Banned
I ran the 89 series, 16x8, 4.5 backspacing, and 285/75s on my 2dr with only 18/59 springs. No issues with rubbing but I also had no added weight on it, bone stock sport.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1475269795.460053.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1475269829.944328.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1475269850.020805.jpg

scull20

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1475289110.476394.jpg

Stock wheels with 35's and 1.5" spacers...so equivalent of 4.75" backspacing.

Stock suspension in this photo as well. No rubbing while turning, but I smacked the underside of the fender going over bumps.

Lil Nasty

Not to sound rude, but you are going to have to change out your ball joints and unit bearings sooner then you anticipate. So why not just run the rims and tires you want without worry? The set up you listed is modest compaired to what most do. Our roads around hear make me believe I need and EVO DTD suspension most of the time. Just the factory wheels and some +1 size goodyear duratrac's had me replace my ball joints early. The C gussets are along the same advise. Since I've bought my Jeep all the things that I've mentioned I have had to take care of with no real offroading to cause the issues. Good luck and don't worry. Just get a game plan and enjoy life.

WJCO

Meme King
Literally just did almost that same setup on the wife's Jeep. Only difference is lod stubby bumper and we trimmed our fenders for free. Duratrac 285s with 4.75 backspaced wheels. No rubbing nor issues so far, but this was just done yesterday. Bearings and ball joints aren't even on the radar.

DSC04110.jpg

DSC04112.jpg

IMG_20160930_192131_856.jpg

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I've been running mine pretty hard with 4.75 back spacing and 315 duratracs. No problem with the ball joints, but I am about to go with a lesser backspace because in extreme flex/turning combos I am still having a rubbing issue. Regular driving and moderate off road I never rub. I am running a stubby bumper because that was one major area that the rubbing was happening.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

PB's-12JKU

Thanks for the quick inputs everyone, awesome looking Jeeps. As always, this is the best place to get real answers from real people. As soon as I pull the trigger I will let you know my setup.

Top Bottom