Black Bear Pass

mcferlitsch

Thinking about hitting up Black Bear Pass in Telluride next spring. Anyone have any knowledge of when the snow melt will occur. I will be running 35s with a winch and 2" lift at that point. No lockers yet but as its mostly down hill I'm thinking its more brakes than diffs. Any information would be appreciated.

Matt

jorgelrod

Hooked
From what I've read, bbp is only open on late summer/start of fall. You should check cause I know that deterioration of the trail and accidents have made the local Sherrif dept try to close it down

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Ran it a month ago with a stock JKUR. Your setup will be fine (no lockers required) and like others have said, Jul - Oct is best. The 2011 JKX in Colorado was run around the third week of Sept. Check out part three of "Keep it Tight" on Wayalife feature vids.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
To give you an idea, this is this years report for Black Bear:

Capture.JPG

Best bet is to call the number listed.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
We went in early June a couple years ago and most of the passes were still closed. That sucked we live in Alabama, didn't do enough research. Going mid July next year.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Thinking about hitting up Black Bear Pass in Telluride next spring. Anyone have any knowledge of when the snow melt will occur. I will be running 35s with a winch and 2" lift at that point. No lockers yet but as its mostly down hill I'm thinking its more brakes than diffs. Any information would be appreciated.

Matt

As mentioned, spring is a no go!

Onefin

Mid to late July.
If planning a trip from a great distance away, maybe August is the safe bet.
35" with open diffs should be fine.
The jeep rental shops in Ouray post trail openings on their websites.

Bosunmate

I did it in Sep 2016, had a brief blizzard at the pass and light snow/sleet the rest of the way down. Found out the next day that the pass was closed after we had already hit the trail at about 8:30 am due to snow. My wife and I were wondering where everyone was! You will not need lockers or a winch. Just 4 low, little braking and enjoy the view!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
You will be fine with 35s. Stock TJs/JKs run it all day long. Fred from Dirt Every Day even did a video where they drove it in a stock Renegade. As mentioned above, usually doesn't open to mid July.

Top Bottom