Diesel concerns

whatroads

I'm holding out for the JL truck. Hopefully, they'll offer a Rubicon. I'm on the fence between diesel or gas. A very large factor is my work travel schedule and Kansas City winters. Right now, I'm leaning toward gas. Your thoughts on the following

- Leaving truck, outside at the airport, for 2-3 nights in below 0 temps. Will a diesel ever warm up?
- Plugging in is not an option at the KC airport
- What if we have ice. Will I be able to clear the windshields with a diesel? I once returned to my 05 3/4 hemi truck to find it totally incased in ice. Took at least 30 minutes to de-ice. what would be my chances with a diesel?
- Will I still be able to get a Rubicon w/ 4.10 gears with the diesel? I have serious doubts given what the gearing options are on the diesel RAM trucks
- Will the diesel heavy duty 8 speed auto still have the 4.7 first gear?

As of now, I'm thinking Pentastar 3.6, 8 speed auto, (because of the 4.7 first gear and the fact you can manually select gears like a manual shift). Rubicon for the front D44, 4.10 gear and the 4 to 1 transfer case. This would make a real nice truck

T_rav

Most diesels will have either a high idle function that's automatic or set with your cruise control, or in my case I just use the exhaust brake to build temps in cold weather. I wouldn't be concerned about being able to melt the ice off the windshield. As for gearing options and your other concerns who knows what will happen there. Just my tid bit of limited knowledge.

I imagine the diesel will function similar to the Cummins in the Dodges. They have a built in preheater so most of the time there is no wait to start as they don't have glow plugs. As for warming up a diesel heats up just as fast or faster than a gas motor. For your gearing I wouldn't get fixated on the gear ratios as they mean different things with a diesel. You don't need as low of a gear ratio to produce the same power as diesel is already torque centric. The ability to crawl or turn bigger tires efficiently will be completely different diesel vs gas with the same ratios.

SilverBack

The rest of the world uses Diesel engines in all sorts of weather without problems. I can't imagine KC is colder thank parts or Eastern Europe or some parts of Asia... no worries!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Weeds

I have the 2015 GC with the diesel. I would gladly sell my JKU to get one with a diesel. We love the power and fuel mileage (28 mpg on highway). We have not had it in the real cold. No problem starting at 10 degrees. Off road in low range the diesel seems fine, lots of torque.

Just got rid of our Benz GL350 BlueTec Diesel.........loved the engines power and fuel economy (same engine platform as the GC) and it didn't use a ton of DEF.........won't hesitate to buy a JL with diesel when available!!

no problem starting on cold Alberta mornings...........brrrrrrr!!

Last edited:

Acronym

I have a ram 1500 with the diesel I believe they will be putting in the jeep JL. It does have glow plugs. It the truck controls that on its own, you just turn the key and there may be a 3 second delay than it starts. As for heating up, it's faster than my 4Runner I traded in for the ram, and for the gearing, we won't know the situation till they release the specs, I know it's going to be the same transmission I have and I say that it's insanely torquey for it being a baby diesel. Put an aluminum body and a lighter vehicle like a jeep and you won't have an issue.

On a side note one thing I'm unsure of is if they torque limit the transmission like they do with heavy duties, grant it the engine doesn't produce upwards of 900ftlbs but who knows.

WJCO

Meme King
I have a ram 1500 with the diesel I believe they will be putting in the jeep JL. It does have glow plugs. It the truck controls that on its own, you just turn the key and there may be a 3 second delay than it starts. As for heating up, it's faster than my 4Runner I traded in for the ram, and for the gearing, we won't know the situation till they release the specs, I know it's going to be the same transmission I have and I say that it's insanely torquey for it being a baby diesel. Put an aluminum body and a lighter vehicle like a jeep and you won't have an issue.

On a side note one thing I'm unsure of is if they torque limit the transmission like they do with heavy duties, grant it the engine doesn't produce upwards of 900ftlbs but who knows.

Welcome back. :thumb:

I have a 2015 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax diesel and it has currently been in the low 20's and into the teens at night here in Mississippi, and I can attest to the fact that modern diesels are amazing. It only takes one key on and glowplug cycle and the truck starts right up in the morning.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I have a JK 2.8 diesel and it starts no probs after a week outside in a ski resort (a bit rough) (-14°c at night -5 daytime). Then again you can buy a webasto and it can preheat the engine and the inside without starting the engine; everything is toasty when you are ready to go.......

Top Bottom