Removing metal from P/S reservoir

Lmoye22

So my steering gear box went out, changed it out last night but when I was about to fill the reservoir it had a lot of metal shavings inside. What is the best way to get all those shavings out?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Turkey Baster, You can suck the fluid out. Magnet may help too. Some Chryslers have a filter screen in the reservoir, make sure that is clean too. Not sure if the JK does.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Turkey Baster, You can suck the fluid out. Magnet may help too. Some Chryslers have a filter screen in the reservoir, make sure that is clean too. Not sure if the JK does.

This. I may add if you can pull the res out itself, and can rinse it then blast it with some air to clean it out.....that may help as well.

Tumbleweed

Metal shavings...HMMM. Kinda makes me wonder if there is more metal in the system that hasn't made it to the reservoir yet???
Good Luck, keep us posted.

jeeeep

Hooked
I was thinking the same thing about the shavings having flowed to other parts.

I think I would disconnect the hose into the pump and the hose coming out of the pump and check them for metal shavings.

If there are metal shavings in the hoses I would probably replace the pump or try to flush it manually.

Same with the cooler if you have a cooler, check to see how far the metal shavings traveled throughout the system.

Get some cheaper power steering fluid (I used O'Reilly brand when I flushed my system out) and run it through all the hoses, cooler, reservoir and let them flow out into something you can take dump into the recycle barrel at your local auto parts store.

Top Bottom