Thoughts on power inverter

reelsilly

Hello everyone, I had a question about power inverters. My rig is a 2012 and does not have an on board inverter. I have a portable one, but was wondering if anyone has installed a permanent one?

If so, what brand, thoughts, pros, cons. Pictures would be great. I do a lot of camping so I think one would come in handy.

Thanks, Chris IMG_1476936939.955752.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

Don't get the cobra brand inverters. Only seem to last about a year. Also will depend on what you want to be able to do with it. Power drive seems to hold up the best in most cases.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
First, figure out what you need to run (watts) and for how long.

I use a goal zero Yeti 400 electric "generator". I recharge with solar panels and it serves many purposes. Plus, the portability allows me to leave it at camp if necessary.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm curious about this too. My only real need would be for tools, but as of now, I have a lot of cordless tools anyways. A full size coffee pot at camp would be nice though :D

bthomas

I'm curious about this too. My only real need would be for tools, but as of now, I have a lot of cordless tools anyways. A full size coffee pot at camp would be nice though :D

Coffee pots are killers! They're like giant watt sucking super resistors! I think my 12 cup Mr Coffee pulls around 1500 watts the best I remember. But it sure beats waiting on a percolator!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tdougherty81

Coffee pots are killers! They're like giant watt sucking super resistors! I think my 12 cup Mr Coffee pulls around 1500 watts the best I remember. But it sure beats waiting on a percolator!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I started using these with a kettle and my burner. It works out well and I actually prefer the pour over vs my coffee machine.

51qBSShHS5L.jpg 61SdpBoqGVL._SL1000_.jpg

JeepJeep75

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1476975457.292686.jpg fellas, this is where it's at for coffee whores such as myself! Makes 10 delicious cups almost as fast as a plug-in.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I here are small compressors like Yamaha and Honda that have them all n there as well. I have been looking at this "cute" fini at Lowe's for about $159.... compressor that is. I had a Stanley brand inverter and come to think of it I wonder where it is?!

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

I've used my inverter on occasion, not very often though.

This setup uses a 400 watt Harbor Freight inverter. Pretty small for my needs, but I cant argue with free. thats only 3 amps at 120V, so 33 amps at 12V.
I used some 8 gauge jumper cable wire to get the power back there. That should handle up to 50 amps, and a 50 amp breaker up front before it hits the battery directly.

IMG_20160604_184347678.jpg

If youre using any big loads, a 1500 watt Inverter will pull 125 amps at full load. That means you'll need at least (1/0) gauge wire, and probably rev the engine too.
I would recommend a pure sine wave inverter as these cheap ones actually create a modified square wave signal, Not a big issue, but your devices will work harder to fix that "dirty power"
The ground pin is also floating on these modified square wave inverters, not a real ground. This usually isnt an issue, just don't connect it to the chassis.

Top Bottom