The Penguin is down

Trigg

My wife got broadsided the other night and went for a roll. Thankfully shes ok and my kids werent with her. The jeep is totalled. Thankfully the tow center let me remove everything before the insurance adjuster came out. Givin the damage my wife is only slightly sore ill give the jku a 5 star safety rating.. All in all we are in the market for a Rubicon.

Couple questions,

Are the 3.8l as bad as everyone seems to let on?

And im thinking of buying this one back from insurance and making is a trail rig. Aside from a cracked radiator, bent/broken rear axle shaft, and a fuse box. Its all cosmetic damage. What are yalls thoughts? Its a 2012 with 93k on it.

1477356810579.jpg 1477356819743.jpg 1477356828303.jpg 1477356835503.jpg 1477356843074.jpg 1477356856299.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

Glad she is OK. Sorry about the jeep.
Personally I would just put the money into your next jeep. That one may have allot more things wrong them what was seen on the initial inspection.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Corby417

Glad she's ok! As far as fixing it up for a trail rig, as long as you have the funds and the know how, I think it would be a fun project.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! So glad to hear your wife is ok. The jeep looks to have survived the crash/roll really well and in spite of not having an aftermarket sport cage.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

jeeeep

Hooked
My wife got broadsided the other night and went for a roll. Thankfully shes ok and my kids werent with her. The jeep is totalled. Thankfully the tow center let me remove everything before the insurance adjuster came out. Givin the damage my wife is only slightly sore ill give the jku a 5 star safety rating.. All in all we are in the market for a Rubicon.

Couple questions,

Are the 3.8l as bad as everyone seems to let on?

And im thinking of buying this one back from insurance and making is a trail rig. Aside from a cracked radiator, bent/broken rear axle shaft, and a fuse box. Its all cosmetic damage. What are yalls thoughts? Its a 2012 with 93k on it.

View attachment 228311 View attachment 228312 View attachment 228313 View attachment 228314 View attachment 228315 View attachment 228316

Wow! good your wife is ok

I have a 3.8 and 3.6, short answer yes. the power difference but even more is the transmission.

The 3.8L 3-speed transmission is a dog, yes 3 speed - OD is so tall in it that it's basically worthless once you put 35's on it. regear and you loose 4th (OD) pretty much 100% of the time as it hunts a lot for gears.
I put a lot of time behind the wheel of my 3.8 and it's not bad around town but on the long trips its work to drive it, sometimes I feel like Fred Flintstone after a long drive.
I enjoy my 3.8 it's my DD and trail ride and all around fun times but the transmission on the 3.8's suck big time, especially compared the newer 3.6L.

When I drive the 3.6L it's effortless, love that transmission! smooth and the tap shift is a bonus.

If you had a 2012 you'll be very disappointed going back to a 3.8L

FYI I have over 138k miles logged on my 3.8 it's fun but I curse the transmission often!!

mstraw9379

Glad your wife is ok.
I traded my 2007 for a 2015 today. Very noticeable difference in power.
That said, I put over 70k miles on my '07 while I had it and never had problems with it other than being underpowered, especially when I had to drive thru the mountains between NJ and OH.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Trigg

Aside from a small tweek in the driver rear corner of the roll bar it held dang well. Givin it was hers im definatly replacing it with another jeep. Shes been wanting a white rubicon. Just wondering what yalls thought and price point would be. I was thinking 3k max.

Trigg

Ive found a few 2011 3.8l local. Was the oil consumption a isolated issue for certain years or was it one of those a friend of a friend had the issue so its just junk kind of issues?

mstraw9379

Ive found a few 2011 3.8l local. Was the oil consumption a isolated issue for certain years or was it one of those a friend of a friend had the issue so its just junk kind of issues?

Don't know if it was an isolated issue. My '07 used about a quart every 1000 miles. I kept a quart and a funnel in the engine compartment in front of the battery.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WOW! Glad she is OK...I'm sure she's gonna be sore for a few days. I love my Jeeps, but they are all just piles of metal, glass and rubber, and can be replaced easily. It;'s the people in them that can't be! Give her an extra hug!!

Kalums

Glad she is OK. On the jeep issue, I can say that going from a 3.8 in an 08' 2door to a 3.6 in a 13' 4door it is seriously noticeable. I think it's the combo of engine and Trans, the 3.6 is 100% better

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

SPOOOBY

Glad everyone is ok,keep the jeep,chop the top,make her a trail beater

If your not living and having fun,your dead already

Top Bottom