Ebayazon LED headlight taken apart.

RUBEERCON

I'm working on a LED project for my boat. Basically taking cheap LED lights and casting them in casting epoxy with blue lenses for underwater boat lighting. I'm having some success but I have not figured out the best way to get the blue involved with white LEDs. If you have not shopped underwater lights you will be blown away at the prices people pay for a set of colored LEDs. I'm trying to match the light output of lights in the 3500.00 range for less than 200.00 bucks. I have come close to a 1000.00 pair of lights outputs with some 13.00 off road cubes!

Anyway check out the light as I take it apart. The ring and internal parts would be easy to paint if someone wanted to match them to their Jeep colors. I was surprised to see how tiny the LED emitters are on this set of lights. They look huge through the lens due to the egg shaped pods that lurk below. It has s nice o-ring gasket but I don't trust it because the flange is plastic and can't be torqued down. The screws are cheap and easy to strip at the Allen and on the threads.

My plan...
Seal them up better with a sealant and some quality screws. I will run them in my JK a bit before I take them apart and cast them for lake testing. Not to mention my boating season is coming to a close next month.

Cubes
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1477362303.743849.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1477362343.129679.jpg

Trailer reverse light with thinned down blue paint
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1477362400.487452.jpg

RUBEERCON

I'll let you know soon. They look good other than the retainer ring for the lens (plastic should be cast Al or metal) the seal is questionable. For 110 a pair shipped it's worth a try.

Frydaddy

I've heard of people using fabric dye in the epoxy, RIT is a popular brand.
You could experiment with coloring the elements with different types of markers before casting as well. I had a DVR camera in my windshield that had very bright LEDS. I took apart the camera and covered the LED and the light pipe with Sharpie, It dimmed it enough for night use.

RUBEERCON

Install was pretty simple. I removed o-ring and sealed it with some wicked clear stuff I use on roofing flashings. Tabs cast into headlight line up on drivers side but you have to Dremel out tab locations on pass side plastic oem headlight cradle. Light output is almost too much on dims, I'm afraid I'm going to get some haters at night. Pretty cool lights overall considering the 110.00 investment. The bar LEDs ( Audi look ) are tied in with my park lights.

On park bulb harness middle wire is park light , outer wire is signal, black is ground.

RUBEERCON

I'll get some for you. I think I doubled the output of my led putco bulbs that were in the stock housing. It seems like this set puts the light where you need it but maybe I never got my other lights adjusted correctly.

Top Bottom