Two way radio vs. CB

mojave5

Anyone have experience with using two way radios on the trails vs using cb's?

Curious to know personal preferences and communication quality. (I currently run a cb only)

R

RockyMtnAnvil

Curious to know personal preferences and communication quality. (I currently run a cb only)

I have used both, and in my experience the two-way radios have better sound quality and distance. That said, I primarily wheel with a CB... It doesn't need batteries, but more importantly it's what everyone else seems to use around here.

mojave5

I have used both, and in my experience the two-way radios have better sound quality and distance. That said, I primarily wheel with a CB... It doesn't need batteries, but more importantly it's what everyone else seems to use around here.

The no need for a battery part is really nice. But a couple groups around me are starting to migrate towards the two-way radios.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I just bought some handheld cbs. You can use batteries or it can be plugged into your 12v. They're just like a cb but portable. And their range isn't quite as good.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

uberc4

I run both. Primarily like to use 2-way (sound quality is better), but not every one has one so have the CB as backup.

You can buy a Baofang UV-5R (2-way) for $30.

SergJKURhino

Many in my 4WD club are making their way to 2-way handhelds...better quality audibles, less costly setup, & portable for use outside of your rig. It's the way of the future.

J

JKDream

I found the two ways had similar range issues as CB's when you're in areas with a lot of cover.
Have you considered looking into VHF with your group? I'm not sure of the requirements/laws for the US, but the range is really good.
Can get 30-40 miles in the backcountry quite easily with them. Assuming you are meaning two way as walkie talkies*

ob_tj

I am very familiar with two way vhf being that I use a BK radio everyday at work. And yet still I could not see myself switching to that In my jeep. Also the cost for a good radio could be in the thousands of dollars.

kbp810

Caught the Bug
We wanted to move our group to ham (VHF/UHF), but settled on GMRS for now. Tough to motivate everyone to study and take the test for the license. Technically supposed to have a license for GMRS as well, but there's no test involved. Just apply online with the FCC and fork over the fee (which is $70 for 5 years... vs $15 for 10 years for ham). I got it just to C.M.A. but general consensus seems to be that it's not really enforced.

Some of us are running the midland GMRS mobile radio setup with the external antenna, some did the Baofang handhelds (programmed to GMRS); others are just using the FRS/GMRS bubble pack radios - which work on 7 of the GMRS channels. For those with the bubble pack radios, the initial feedback is that for them it was no better than CB, in some cases worse. Much better experience for those using either the Midland or Baofang 5 watt radios.

Brute

Hooked
I carry everything...CB, 50W & a pair of frs handhelds...I wheel with different groups of people every year and everyone has different means of trail communication...the hand held frs radios are the easiest to use, I keep one one the charger in cab so they are always powered up...and the go with you when you get out for a little hike

Mark W.

I drive truck for a paving company. We have various CB's all with dual mirror mount antennas. The newer trucks have Cobra 29 LTDs the standard replacement CB in the older trucks is a $35.00 Uniden. The Big radios will do clear across Salem Oregon about 4 miles the smaller Unidens not so much.

The flaggers on our jobs use both Cobra and Radio Shack CB Walkie Talkies with better antennas and only have about 1/4-1/2 mile range and then mostly line of sight. They also use The UHF/VHF family radios and those have better range but still limited. On many jobs more then maybe a mile long the trucks have to relay messages.

In my Willys I will have a Cobra 29 side mike (opened up to roughly 12 watts) I'll be using a 5ft firestick. And would like to be able to use a 102" half wave but they tend to be very problematic in the trees around here.

desrt4x

Our local club requires a CB in the jeep. I have a handheld two way that I use sometimes if a group goes that is not CB friendly. I like the CB since it is mounted in the jeep, the handheld is always bouncing around and gets hard to find sometimes.

Petzl88

I have a CB and can't stand to use it. I prefer to use my VHF 2M radios. I have a Kenwood TM-271A (now the TM-281A) and two Yaesu 5W handhelds with spare batteries.

I recommend the Kenwood mobile TM-281A. Check them out.

Top Bottom