Need insurance advice

GraniteCrystal

Wife rear ended some lady (other car stopped faster than our Hyundai SUV). Low speed impact with a few dents. At the time she told my wife she felt fine. Today we get a call saying she went to the ER and is claiming medical expenses.

Anybody dealt with this before? Do we have options to say there's no way medical expenses were necessary? If it's a $100 ER visit, that's fine. If she's claiming a bunch of chronic stuff now, that's not cool.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

WJCO

Meme King
Let your insurance agent deal with it. Also, I assume a police report was filed? Get a copy of the report you can, especially if the other driver declined to be taken from the scene of the accident by medical professionals or if he/she made statements that she didn't need assistance. I personally haven't been in your situation though. Good luck.

Kyle7R

Wife rear ended some lady (other car stopped faster than our Hyundai SUV). Low speed impact with a few dents. At the time she told my wife she felt fine. Today we get a call saying she went to the ER and is claiming medical expenses.

Anybody dealt with this before? Do we have options to say there's no way medical expenses were necessary? If it's a $100 ER visit, that's fine. If she's claiming a bunch of chronic stuff now, that's not cool.

Happened to me about 10 years ago or so, rear ended somebody at low speed. We exchanged information, cops never even made it to the scene before she decided to bolt. My insurance handled the entire thing, basically it came down to them saying "sure we'll cover it, but we want you checked out by a doctor we approve" she kept saying her doctor already checked her out but they wouldn't accept it. She ended up dropping it.

10-1 what happened in my instance, was that she either drove by or google mapped my address from my info and saw that my parents (where I was living at the time) had a really nice home, etc. Thought she was going to get something out of us.

rogerk93

Happened to my brother a few months ago. Some lady cut a stop sign and my brother t-boned her. Even tho it was her fault and the police report stated she cut the stop sign she still tried to claim injury. The insurance company takes care of all that and they will decided what to do. It's pretty much out of your hands just submit all the info you have and let them take care of it.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kalums

That is what you pay the insurance company for, like everyone older said if it is legit than the insurance will cover it if it is BS than the insurance will find out. Stop stressing and let them have the headache. Oh and don't accept or answer any more of her phone calls, if it's BS he/she/they will start threatening

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Thanks everyone. Input very much appreciated. Called the insurance company today and told them to go ahead and deal with it. Good news is that I don't have to. Bad news is it'll probably jack my rate up since the wreck was my wife's fault. Oh well. Life.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Welcome to my professional world. I deal with this every other day (now I get mostly fatal accidents). I am very very familiar with this. Most likely, her injuries for soft tissue did not appear until later, which is normal. Likely just a normal strain in which she will recover soon. These things happen all of the time. It was good to get your insurance company involved right away. Be sure to assist your insurance company as much as possible, since you must understand that the claims of damages are against you and your wife, anything you can do to minimize that exposure is beneficial to yourself and the insurance company.

Yes, it will be a bodily injury claim against your wife's record, but most states have a 3 year rule, so the rate hike might not be as bad as your think, and the increase will only be temporary (3 years).

I agree, do not discuss the matter with the other lady anymore, politely direct her to the claims representative who is handling the BI claim for you guys.

Sorry this happened, but it does and it is the most common accident out there. Do not feel too bad, just know that it will work out and it is really too early to tell what she will be claiming, if anything at all. A LOT of people just walk away and never attempt to even present a claim, but this depends largely on the venue where you live.

tdougherty81

I had it happen to me a few years ago. Minor rear end, guy said everything was good and "god brought us together". Come to find out later that evening the entire family went to the ER claiming some BS. I stayed out of it and let my insurance handle it. Still pisses me off today.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
My fiancé bumped someone just a few months ago at a red light, she was distacted and thought the light was green and rolled her altima coupe into the back of another ladies Honda pilot, she had a few scratches in her bumper where the pilots tow hitch had made contact with the paint, we decided not to call the insurance unless the pilot owner did, well, a few days later we got a call from insurance telling us the pilot owner called with an injury claim, so we told them what REALLY happened and decided to pay the deductible and have the altima fixed since insurance had a claim already anyway, thanks to this bitch. Turned out a few weeks later that the lady never took the car to be evaluated, so insurance denied her claim anyway... but we had already bit the bullet and the altima was in the shop. Insurance jumped up about $40/month because of that bitch trying to pull a fast one... had she not tried to get free shit, we would have lived with the scratch in the bumper... but whatever, it's done.

Sorry you have to deal with this BS also, it's getting to the point to where people will fuck you over for $5. It makes me sick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I always call the police in an accident. Even when people are saying no need.

I was rear ended years ago. I got out to see if she was alright. Messed up a bumper and quarter. She said don't worry my insurance will handle it. I said no I want to call the police to fill out a report. So we filled it out and when I got back to my shop I called them. They told me her insurance was cancelled. So I called the police department and informed them. I asked if there was anything I could do. He said they could amend the ticket and change to a hit and run for lying. I do not know how true, but I did it anyway. Still lost money out of pocket, but I felt like I got her back though.

tanmanjk

Sorry about your troubles. I definitely call the police everytime. I've had issues in the past and yes assume the rest from the other party, especially if you are at fault.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

SJCJK

Good decision!
My wife and I have been rear ended a few times each. We always call insurance. Too much liability not too. Been lucky that folks had insurance, were honest and not trying to hose us. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

I always call the police in an accident. Even when people are saying no need.

I was rear ended years ago. I got out to see if she was alright. Messed up a bumper and quarter. She said don't worry my insurance will handle it. I said no I want to call the police to fill out a report. So we filled it out and when I got back to my shop I called them. They told me her insurance was cancelled. So I called the police department and informed them. I asked if there was anything I could do. He said they could amend the ticket and change to a hit and run for lying. I do not know how true, but I did it anyway. Still lost money out of pocket, but I felt like I got her back though.
Agreed on always calling the cops for an accident. As for the cops changing the ticket, we'll that would open them to a huge lawsuit for falsifying legal documents of which the lady would have had a copy and therfore proof.

sent from your basement

Top Bottom