Selling your JK when the JL comes out?

DawnPatrol

So I have a pretty young 2015 JKU with about 20K on the odometer and I'm at the place where I can't decide whether or not I should continue modding it, or wait for the JL to come out and potentially start from scratch. At this point I currently have a 2.5in TF Coil with 315 BFG KO2's with only a few other mods like, the front track bar, correction brackets and a few minor things. As I myself am in my early 20's, money is not growing on trees, so I am concened with making sure I don't just piss away money, however I do have a good job in the financial industry so trading the JK for a JL would be possible. All of this being taken into account, what do y'all think about the situation? I know we haven't seen much of the JL at all, but do you who have JK's with the 3.6L suspect you will be selling for a JL? Also, how many years after initial release do we give FCA to iron out the inevitable issues that will arise with the first rendition of the JL?

Draconianwinter

Personally I have no intentions of ever selling my 2dr rubicon. If I but anything else it will be a straight purchase and then it will either be a older stingray late 70 early 80s model or another cj7 to build up. Aside from that I intend for this to be my last major purchase in the vehicle category. That's just me though. At 41 years old no more than I will be able to drive it it will not get many miles on it over the years anyway.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

plus, I highly doubt modifications will be as good in year 1 of a new body style as they will be in year 3/4/5. It takes time to get kinks out of how best to do stuff with mods, etc.

DawnPatrol

Glad to see that my concerns regarding issues that might arise in the early model years a mirrored on WOL. Thinking I probably shouldn't worry about swapping for a JL for several years. Hadn't even thought about the aftermarket support issue, good point.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Frankly I haven't seen anything that would make me want to trade in mine. Besides losing my ass on the mods I've already done, I don't see that the JL will be much of a clean sheet re-design.
Certainly nothing like the YJ-to-TJ-to-JK changes. I don't see it being any more capable than the JK either. Sure. there will be new trim, interior, and conveniences perhaps, but its not a "gotta have it" for me.

And I will never ever buy a first year model again. Done that in the past & regretted it every time!

Napalm

Short answer - nope.

Almost as short answer - My plan is to never get rid of my current JKU. I've bought, sold, and traded way too many vehicles. I am very content with the design and features of the JK.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

thombull

They would have to come with an option for a Hemi for me to get rid of mine......besides mine is paid for now and this is the time to really have fun with it!

Sent from my QMV7A using WAYALIFE mobile app

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
I will never get rid of my 16' JKU. I sold my CJ5 20 years ago after my oldest was born to pay off bills.

I wouldn't buy the first couple years. Let Jeep workout the kinks.

DawnPatrol

Appreciate all the feed back guys, sounds like the unanimous opinion is to hold on to the JK and I'm glad to hear it!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am literally chomping at the bit to buy a JL but have no intentions of selling or trading in my JK's. I also will place an order for one as soon as it is possible to do so. I've had more problems with my 2012 JK than I ever had with my 2007 so it's just a roll of the dice when it comes to first model year out problems. Or, at least to me anyway. :crazyeyes:

Andy5160

Hooked
Does not make any seance to buy new release. I would wait a few years and in the mean time keep modified what i have.

Kalums

I really want the JL in a p/u diesel... That being said there is NO way I heck ide give up my JK this one is almost paid off. It would be dumb for me to renew my payments. Now if I had oodles of cash burning a hole in my pocket hells yea I would buy one. Still wouldn't give up the JK tho.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

rogerk93

I wouldn't sell my jk because it is the first vehicle I bought myself and spent a lot of sweat blood and beers building up. I have a long way to go before I finish building it. If that day ever comes. But I do see myself getting another jeep as a fun daily when the time comes.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JL

Appreciate all the feed back guys, sounds like the unanimous opinion is to hold on to the JK and I'm glad to hear it!

I have a '13 JK Sport with some mods. Very happy with it. But seriously considering switching to a Rubicon JL probably in year 2-3 and not putting more money into the JK.

Top Bottom