Hinrichs build

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
That is a weird sound. Did your hub have more of a grinding sound?

Mine didn't really have a grinding sound (that I could hear over my tires at least). I could tell my hubs were bad because when I jacked up the jeep you could see the tire straighten out.

Been talking to Jim and he said it sounds like it coming from the rear. I will let him give you all the details

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Started a while ago but didn't think it was bad due to it being very random and always stopping when I would come to a stop. Offloading usually made it quiet as well for a week or 2.

Whined the whole way down to the body shop near where Steve lives, and the last 2 miles or so it stopped completely. It would get real bad then not as bad. The first time today tho the sound increased with speed which it never did before and then once it was fast enough it stopped and it did that a few times which was odd.

I feel like an idiot for not having it checked sooner, but how random it was and how I couldn't just replicate it any time made me wait till now. I just hope it's nothing serious

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Have you looked at your brakes for maybe a sticking pad? Or possible an issue with the caliper?

Thought about that but it's usually a constant sound and not usually dependent on speed, also sound only stops when the jeep stops moving no change with brakes applied.

Codeapalooza

So I finally reached the end of this thread. What am I going to do while at work now?! Lol. I am hoping to get my first first jeep soon and reading all of this has been really great! Thanks! :)

Also, sorry to hear about the jeep hopefully it's nothing to serious!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Thought about that but it's usually a constant sound and not usually dependent on speed, also sound only stops when the jeep stops moving no change with brakes applied.

Probably something else if there was no change in the sound with the brakes applied. Keep us updated.

OJK12

Did you ever regear? I only ask because we both live in PA and I recently did and when we took the rear pinion out, the pinion bearing was toast from rust and the where the pinion rides on it had a build up of rust. Not saying this is your problem but if everything else checks out that could causing your noise. I'm guess most people would not have this problem unless they lived in the rust belt like us (yeah us!). I had 26,000 miles on mine so it wasn't high mileage and it's only been in the mud like twice.

Not really sure, but seems that there is a grinding when your applying the brakes. Could the brake pads be wearing thin or the clip that holds the pad to the caliper may be dragging on the rotor....? Just guessing.
Id pull that right front tire (passenger), and take a look at the rotor front and back as well as the brakes and brake pad clip. If that looks good, check the rear passenger for the same.

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Have you checked both driveshafts?

Maybe a clearance issue or obstruction. Or perhaps a failing U joint.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Did you ever regear? I only ask because we both live in PA and I recently did and when we took the rear pinion out, the pinion bearing was toast from rust and the where the pinion rides on it had a build up of rust. Not saying this is your problem but if everything else checks out that could causing your noise. I'm guess most people would not have this problem unless they lived in the rust belt like us (yeah us!). I had 26,000 miles on mine so it wasn't high mileage and it's only been in the mud like twice.

I have no regeared yet, but I feel that this could be the issue, and I really hope it isn't. I have 19k on mine.

Not really sure, but seems that there is a grinding when your applying the brakes. Could the brake pads be wearing thin or the clip that holds the pad to the caliper may be dragging on the rotor....? Just guessing.
Id pull that right front tire (passenger), and take a look at the rotor front and back as well as the brakes and brake pad clip. If that looks good, check the rear passenger for the same.

not the brakes no change with brakes applied or not.

Have you checked both driveshaft's?

Maybe a clearance issue or obstruction. Or perhaps a failing U joint.

I did a quick look after I parked it at the dealer/body shop and didn't see anything. Also when this first started I thought maybe it was the driveshaft's so I greased them well and it still made the noise.

I have yet to hear from the shop yet, ill probably call them tomorrow however since the body work should be done today. They quoted 3 days. I just find it off from how I filled out the key envelope marking all the sounds and issues I was experiencing, but I guess they don't read those.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Finally called the shop since its been 2 weeks, and knew It was going to be a good one. Of course I was blamed that I missed my appointment when I was treated like shit and refused a car.....was I supposed to walk home when I live 45 min away? Body guy had no real idea what was or is going on, but Its waiting for a windshield today I think. Also no mention of the bearing noise, but It did get an oil change and alignment which it needed. Just feel whatever the issue is or was would have warranted a phone call cuz I doubt I have a warranty on anything anymore. Guy said Thursday I can probably come get it, but Im going to wait till Friday so my friend can drive me down. Good thing I have AAA cuz I feel ill need it.

Good news tho, going to paint the rear cage section tonight so that's ready for this weekend, and Thursday my new TMR customs door hinge bushing things will be in so Ill have those to install as well before putting the halfs back on (thanks dynomax for suggesting them)

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
In hopes of getting the jeep back tomorrow ordered a flat black and white banner along with a new honey badger one, and also ore banner and the hood decals finally.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Coming to a mall near you

Attachments

• image-811610171.jpg
    image-811610171.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 302
  • image-1072354079.jpg
    image-1072354079.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 306
Top Bottom