Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    82

    List of what mods to do first

    Hi, everyone

    I've had my JK for about a month now. The obsession ins real and I read up every day mods and parts to the best I can.

    Any way, my goal is to ride trails and eventually trip out to the west coast. So my priority is to handle mud, hills, etc. that are more common in my region. Things like rock crawling might be not as important now but I don't want to limit myself completely when I do go out that way.

    Here's my list of what I personally think I need to do in order to mod efficiently. Im hoping for critiques and your opinions. My thought process is simple. Do the necessary mods so i dont do avoidable damage later.

    This is a list of what I feel I need to do first:

    D44 front axle to accommodate 35s.
    Lift...2.5 or above
    Fenders
    Skid plate
    Rock bars

    How would you guys go about modding up a stock sahara?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

  2. #2
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    82
    Also, I did attempt to search for a thread like this. Had no luck finding something with my searches. Sorry in advance if it's a redo.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

  3. #3
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    11,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1015 View Post
    Hi, everyone

    I've had my JK for about a month now. The obsession ins real and I read up every day mods and parts to the best I can.

    Any way, my goal is to ride trails and eventually trip out to the west coast. So my priority is to handle mud, hills, etc. that are more common in my region. Things like rock crawling might be not as important now but I don't want to limit myself completely when I do go out that way.

    Here's my list of what I personally think I need to do in order to mod efficiently. Im hoping for critiques and your opinions. My thought process is simple. Do the necessary mods so i dont do avoidable damage later.

    This is a list of what I feel I need to do first:

    D44 front axle to accommodate 35s.
    Lift...2.5 or above
    Fenders
    Skid plate
    Rock bars

    How would you guys go about modding up a stock sahara?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Boardsurfer may have some input as he runs 35s on the stock axle with stock gears.

    Every Jeep is different, so build it how you want. For what your describing, put gussets on your stock axle, leave it open, and run your 35s as long as you can. Do your lift, trim fenders for free, and don't worry about skids or sliders.

  4. #4
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Boardsurfer may have some input as he runs 35s on the stock axle with stock gears.

    Every Jeep is different, so build it how you want. For what your describing, put gussets on your stock axle, leave it open, and run your 35s as long as you can. Do your lift, trim fenders for free, and don't worry about skids or sliders.
    Thank you!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

  5. #5
    Knows a Thing or Two TrainWreck618's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    EAST ST LOUIS
    Posts
    936
    I have been running 35's on my stock sahara axles for 3 years. Its not ideal, but you can make it work

  6. #6
    Addict catahoula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,473
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Boardsurfer may have some input as he runs 35s on the stock axle with stock gears.

    Every Jeep is different, so build it how you want. For what your describing, put gussets on your stock axle, leave it open, and run your 35s as long as you can. Do your lift, trim fenders for free, and don't worry about skids or sliders.
    I second that!
    Gots
    17-Inch Rubi Wheels
    32" BFG KM M/T's 255/75/17 Tires
    18/59 Springs & Rubi Shocks
    TF Leveling Kit
    1.5" Spidertrax Spacers
    Warn Rock Crawler Stubby & Engo 9000 Winch
    EVO Mfg Rear Bolt On "D" Ring Mounts
    EVO Mfg Rear Corner Rock Skins
    Rough Country Skids

    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

    "Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

  7. #7
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by catahoula View Post
    I second that!
    That's all really interesting. Can't a bent axle or a damaged axle do extra wear to your tires though?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #8
    Hooked
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    141
    Lift/tires
    Winch
    Just to start.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  9. #9
    Old Timer DWiggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1015 View Post
    Hi, everyone

    I've had my JK for about a month now. The obsession ins real and I read up every day mods and parts to the best I can.

    Any way, my goal is to ride trails and eventually trip out to the west coast. So my priority is to handle mud, hills, etc. that are more common in my region. Things like rock crawling might be not as important now but I don't want to limit myself completely when I do go out that way.

    Here's my list of what I personally think I need to do in order to mod efficiently. Im hoping for critiques and your opinions. My thought process is simple. Do the necessary mods so i dont do avoidable damage later.

    This is a list of what I feel I need to do first:

    D44 front axle to accommodate 35s.
    Lift...2.5 or above
    Fenders
    Skid plate
    Rock bars

    How would you guys go about modding up a stock sahara?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I started with a rubicon, But I would SUGGEST pretty much the same:
    In my opinion, the first mods for you should be
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1015 View Post
    So my priority is to handle mud, hills, etc.
    1)Rubicon take off wheels/tires. especially if your looking for mud
    2)(ASAP) a QUALITY Winch and recovery gear... remember YOU YOURSELF said mud, so spend the coin to make sure WHEN you get stuck, you have a trusted way out.
    3) go have fun and wheel it until you know what you need next for your specific wheeling.


  10. #10
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    11,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1015 View Post
    That's all really interesting. Can't a bent axle or a damaged axle do extra wear to your tires though?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Yes it can, that's why you do the gussets. From what it sounds like you'll be using the Jeep for, this should get you by. Then if you do bend it someday, upgrade at that time.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •