Tumbler Begins: '17 JKUR HR

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I believe I'll try both local Craigslist and eBay, try for a moonshot for a week or so and see what happens. I can always drop the price if I'm not getting any action on it. The Alpine arrives Thursday.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I got around to installing the Grabars today. I'm pretty happy with them overall. One thing I would change is on the fronts, the metal spacers that stand the Grabars off from the A-pillar and the upper windshield frame aren't rounded out to meet the bars cleanly so they don't look as nice as they could. Since some have posted about noise and creaking sounds I installed fiber washers to try and prevent that. They're rock solid though, I can shake the entire Jeep and they don't budge. I'm completely happy with the rear Grabars. Overall, with the exception on one bolt on the right A-pillar the install was a breeze.

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Also tonight I finished modding the CB dash mount to hold my ProClips iPhone charging cradle. I may have to bend it a little to clear the Alpine when I install it this weekend. I also hacked an Amazon lightning cable since Apple doesn't make black ones so that when everything is finished with the radio install, the cable doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. The lightning connector on the Amazon cable is too large for the cradle slot which is why I had to mod it and slim it down a bit. I will hide the cable better when I have the dash apart this weekend.

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
They are great head units. I am running their Ram truck kit and really like it. Alpine just announced a couple more Wrangler Restyle head units that are weatherproof.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

How long have you had yours? Any quirks? Does Alpine release any regular firmware updates? Most reviews I've read have been largely positive. I've seen the "rugged" bezel I assume that comes with a weatherproof model.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
So an aftermarket add-on I'm seriously considering is push button start along with passive keyless entry. Here's my reasoning. I love this JKRU. I haven't seen much evidence from any renderings, that I'm going to like anything about the '18 JL exterior and styling more than I like my '17 JK. I haven't seen any interior pics at all that could be remotely called accurate. So that's up in the air. But 2 features that I'm pretty certain of is that the '18s will most likely have a pretty nice touch screen U-Connect interface and push-button start. I have a pretty robust Alpine entertainment/nav system coming and one thing I would've have gotten had I ordered the '17 is remote start (which is part of the PKE system I'm researching). As much as possible I try to make add-ons look OEM and I really enjoy modding and tech. If I proceed I'm going to install a red push button (SRT style) from Mopar so it looks authentic and have Digital Guard Dog mod the switch to work with their system(s). The push button/remote start and PKE modules are separate units. I plan to reconfigure the HVAC bezel as follows.

I want to relocate the 12v outlet on the passenger side of the HVAC bezel (side of lower console, glove box etc...). Move the power mirror switch over where the 12v outlet was and put the Starter switch in its place.

da4a062c5d7641aadbe15e6c0f8392f6_zpsohfcwgee.jpg

1c661dad721727e7ba9b8a6fa2ae2747_zpssdydds8o.jpg

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Interesting to see you do this. Wiring wise it shouldn't be to difficult to do the push button. The no touch entry tho is what's going to take some wiring and creativity I think

GraniteCrystal

Could be very interesting. I like push button start and keyless entry. If you can, please document all your part numbers and such. Might be interested in doing this in the future. 👍

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Interesting to see you do this. Wiring wise it shouldn't be to difficult to do the push button. The no touch entry tho is what's going to take some wiring and creativity I think

There are front and rear antennas which I will have favor the driver side of the vehicle. That should be adequate to cover approach angles to unlock the vehicle within several feet. In the event that a battery dies in the fob or the fob gets lost, there's a backup antenna/sensor that can be placed anywhere behind a surface, behind the windshield near the VIN plate, or in the driver door near the lock cylinder for example. A credit card style security key, that is included, is placed on/around the sensor and unlocks the vehicle and allows startup. While I know I can handle intregrating the switch seemlessly into the interior as long as the diameter of the switch isn't too large, I don't know if I want to take on the wiring or have a local shop do it. I have plenty of time to decide as I have to replenish my bank account from the Alpine purchase. :D

Last edited:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Could be very interesting. I like push button start and keyless entry. If you can, please document all your part numbers and such. Might be interested in doing this in the future. ��

Absolutely no problem.

I can give you the part number for the red Mopar switch and silver trim ring now.

Switch: 68299961AB
Bezel: 68141784AA

Center HVAC bezel (in case of FUBAR): 1PJ28DX9AC (w power mirror), 1RH94DX9AC (w/o power mirror)
Instrument cluster/radio bezel: 1QF19DX9AD

This may be a month or 2 long process.

*** the Mopar Switch and Bezel listed above WILL NOT work for my chosen location on the HVAC bezel due to depth AND diameter. I will leave the part #s for anyone that still wants Mopar parts (starter switch is red).

Last edited:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
:doh::doh::doh: so I'm wrapping up the install of this Alpine last night and checking the operations before I install the bezel. While checking the nav it prompted me to remove the SD card that the map info is on and reinstall. Well when I popped the card out I dropped it and I heard it fall somewhere.....it was dark last night and I was tired, so I figured I'd get a good nights sleep and get back at looking for it this morning. I've peeled back the carpet, looked under seats, disassembled the center of the dash including the center console and cannot find this f'ing card anywhere!!!! If I can't find it, I hope Alpine can help me. I hate it when something so simple turns into a clusterf#%@k....:mad:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Found it. Under the carpet on the driver side.....my wife and I looked and looked. Wound up lodged under the seat bracket. And the last time I pulled the carpet back, it slid out into the tub.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I received my Mopar switch in the mail today. It's not gonna work for the layout I want so I'll have to find another mounting location or use a different switch. They (Digital Guard Dawg) do use a Nissan switch that looks very similar so I may just go that route.

Last edited:
Top Bottom